Cigar Problems

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I did not know that. I am starting to like them more and more. Thank you ❗
And here's a tip for you. The next time you're looking to buy a lighter for your cigars, you cannot go wrong with this little beauty: A gold Cohiba lighter with cigar punch.

Don't let the price fool ya. It's probably the best torch lighter I have found.

Cohiba.jpg

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Beginner smoker here.
What is the best way to store cigars here in 🇩🇴 ❓
It is always humid here, so is any special storage needed?

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Beginner smoker here.
I've always kept mine in a humidor. The ideal is 70/70 (degrees/humidity)
The humidity isn't that bad - low humidity drys them out and they start cracking and falling apart.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I've always kept mine in a humidor. The ideal is 70/70 (degrees/humidity)
The humidity isn't that bad - low humidity drys them out and they start cracking and falling apart.
Thank you‼️
Is their a humidor vendor that you recommend here in 🇩🇴 ?

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Thank you‼️
Is their a humidor vendor that you recommend here in 🇩🇴 ?
There are probably tons of them here but I can't name one specifically.

If I were to buy another I'd get it on Amazon.

I have one I barely use because I buy by the box and just leave them in the box since it only lasts a month.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Hello All,

I can think of bigger problems than cigar problems. That being said, I wonder if any of you cigar aficionados have a solution to my problem.

Via my courier service Vimenpaq I ordered a sampler 8 pack of Oliva cigars for about $54.00 from Thompson. Nice. Only to find out that they are stuck in Miami (retenido) because Vimenpaq does not ship tobacco products. It's a big IF whether I will receive credit for these cigars or they will go to the trash. Vimenpaq has BIG return issues which I will discuss in a new thread (other problems with Vimenpaq pending).

The question is: How can I ship tobacco products here from the U.S. without restriction? BTW, the international carriers such as DHL, etc., charge an arm and a leg.
LOL! It is a great irony that I can find a much greater variety of Dominican cigars in the U.S. than I can here, yet I cannot ship them here from the U.S.
SOL. Didnt you read the regulations before you shipped them?

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Beginner smoker here.
Do you have a/c where you store them? If not, a humidor is not necessary. A wooden box, maybe from the cigars you ordered is ok.
A humidor is to have the Caribbean climate for your cigars. So 1+1=?

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Do you have a/c where you store them? If not, a humidor is not necessary. A wooden box, maybe from the cigars you ordered is ok.
A humidor is to have the Caribbean climate for your cigars.
I am not a fan of humidity. So I make it a point to keep my AC on and the humidity much lower than the 70% recommended for cigars. But I was curious if I could simply leave them in room without AC within my residence. Asked and answered.
Why to certain DR1 people attack when basic questions are asked ❓
I suppose it is because THEY knew everything about 🇩🇴 before they moved here.
Then there are other who didn't know jack (remember your comment about single malt scotch from the islay region).
But pretend the know everything anyway.
It is 2.
Basic math that I learned probably from my parents at home.
Long time ago.
Rest their loving souls.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
SOL. Didnt you read the regulations before you shipped them?
:unsure:
DOMEX just informed me they no longer allow tobacco products to be imported but no reason why.
Different interpretations of the rules I guess.

Here's an update: Domex (my courier) contacted me today and said a box for personal use should not be a problem for them.
Different interpretations of the rules I guess

1-1+1=❓

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I am not a fan of humidity. So I make it a point to keep my AC on and the humidity much lower than the 70% recommended for cigars. But I was curious if I could simply leave them in room without AC within my residence. Asked and answered.
Then there are other who didn't know jack (remember your comment about single malt scotch from the islay region).

It is 2.
Long time ago.
Rest their loving souls.
Anymore questions about cigars? Spit it out and I will answer them.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016

It is 2.
Long time ago.
Rest their loving souls.
FWIW, many cigar smokers like to moisten their cigar in their mouth from both ends before they light up. Kind of like licking your fingers.
It helps slow the burn of the wrap and keeps it even (if it is lit correctly in the first place)
And God forbid we get into the subject on the correct way to light a cigar. :rolleyes:

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
FWIW, many cigar smokers like to moisten their cigar in their mouth from both ends before they light up. Kind of like licking your fingers.
It helps slow the burn of the wrap and keeps it even (if it is lit correctly in the first place)
And God forbid we get into the subject on the correct way to light a cigar. :rolleyes:
I don’t like that personally. Some use some cognac or whiskey to moisture it. Another strange thing I have seen is heating the whole cigar with the match.
It was common use in our countries to take of the band before lighting the cigar, just to avoid looking a snob.

Reactions: JD Jones

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Like I said I am a beginning smoker.
I goto youtube for informational videos.
And for 🇩🇴 specific questions I thought I would ask here on DR1.
I like your answers my man.
You explain without attitude or derision.
The same way I do over in my Bourbon thread.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
They (couriers) will keep'em and will smoke'em (your cigars) or the employes will just sell'em. That indeed is the definition of "retention."

:ROFLMAO:
My courier, Vimenpaq, did send them back to the shipper from Miami and I did receive credit. But what a disappointment! One thing is for sure. If and when I go to the U.S. I will bring back a box of Dominicans (I like La Gloria Cubana, Wavell, a maduro robusto). What an irony!

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014

Articulo 4
Yo can import cigars for personal use but with payment of duties.
Thank you for this. Apparently, a Vimenpaq employee could not cope with these requirements and simply forbade them. I will speak with my Vimenpaq "go to" person and try again to place a order (and pay the duties). Can't be that much for a box that costs about $100 U.S.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
In case you're not aware, Domex also delivers to your home at no extra charge.
Hmm, although I have a good working relationship with Vimenpaq, meaning bilingual staff I can turn to via email or phone if I have a problem, I may very well try Domex just for my cigar purchases. Thank you for this. When I register, I will confirm that they will ship cigars, however, and see if they gave me the same answer they gave you . . . It seems that Vimenpaq allows cigars with duties paid but that they apply that policy unevenly. I guess that sophistication. Easier to just reject rather than jump through some hoops.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Beginner smoker here.
If you want to keep it simple, buy a plastic box of sufficient size with a lid that seals well. Cut a strip of sponge, soak that, and put it in the box. Don't let it touch the cigars. You don't need to buy a hygrometer. Gently twirl a cigar at different points between your thumb and index finger. If you hear any crackling sound, it's too dry. Humidity here is around 64% and you need 70%, so it's a little drying and you do need humidification. A word of caution: A cigar that's too moist is worse than a cigar that's too dry. So go easy on the moisture.