Cigars in the DR

CanWest66

May 11, 2008
Canada
I would like to start a discussion about all things related to cigars in the DR. I travel to the DR from time to time and my wife is Dominican, so I have a connection with the country and the people who are my extended family. I plan at some point to live in the DR, at least part time.
I am, what I would consider, an amateur cigar enthusiast and I love smoking cigars of course but I am also very interested in all aspects of cigar production from cultivation to manufacture. Anyone interested?

CanWest66

May 11, 2008
Canada
Ok, I guess I will start this off and see if it goes anywhere. When talking about cigars I am only referring to hand made cigars using only natural tobacco. I am not interested in flavoured cigars or mass produced machine made cigars.

So that being said here are some questions or topics of interest:

Where are places you can buy cigars in Santiago and Puerto Plata? (or Santo Domingo)

What are some of the boutique/small producers that are making noteworthy cigar?

Is there a local cigar culture or is it mostly expats and tourists who are looking for and smoking cigars?

General happenings in the Dominican cigar industry, such as: new or interesting cigars from big or small producers, crop cultivation and harvests, best cigars, worst cigars, fake cigars etc…

So if there are any cigar enthusiasts out there please feel free to respond to any of the above or on anything at all pertaining to cigars in the DR.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
There is a yearly Cigar producers show you can attend that showcases everything made by just about everyone. I'm going to see if I can find a link for it and get back to you.

CanWest66

May 11, 2008
Canada
There is a yearly Cigar producers show you can attend that showcases everything made by just about everyone. I'm going to see if I can find a link for it and get back to you.
Thank you, I think that event is called ProCigar. I would love to attend if I had the opportunity.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Ok, I guess I will start this off and see if it goes anywhere. When talking about cigars I am only referring to hand made cigars using only natural tobacco. I am not interested in flavoured cigars or mass produced machine made cigars.

So that being said here are some questions or topics of interest:

Where are places you can buy cigars in Santiago and Puerto Plata? (or Santo Domingo)

What are some of the boutique/small producers that are making noteworthy cigar?

Is there a local cigar culture or is it mostly expats and tourists who are looking for and smoking cigars?

General happenings in the Dominican cigar industry, such as: new or interesting cigars from big or small producers, crop cultivation and harvests, best cigars, worst cigars, fake cigars etc…

So if there are any cigar enthusiasts out there please feel free to respond to any of the above or on anything at all pertaining to cigars in the DR.
You need to travel into Tamboril, start at the Leon Jiminez/ La Aurora factory and then make you way into the town. Once there you will know you are near one of the many small to larger factories from the smell of tobacco ion the street. That is the motherland of tobacco production in DR. If youre lucky a factory like Flor Dominicana will invite you in for a tour. Sure you can purchase directly from them. Many others you can just walk in. An enjoyable day trip for sure.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
Most of the cigar factories are export only, they will not sell them to you. But their are some that aren't in free zones and they will give you a small tour as well as sell them to you.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Most of the cigar factories are export only, they will not sell them to you. But their are some that aren't in free zones and they will give you a small tour as well as sell them to you.

Not quite true. I have bought small quantities in Free Zone companies so it is possible.

But the non-free zone places usually give better prices and you can find some really great cigars in the small producers.

Reactions: CanWest66

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
If you can get a tour of the La Aurora cigar factory in Santiago take it. It is the oldest cigar factory in the DR and they make all sorts of the hand rolled cigars as well as several brands of mass produced cigars such as Swisher Sweets.

Its an incredible place with lots of history about cigars and the DR. Plus you can smoke in there too!!

CanWest66

May 11, 2008
Canada
You need to travel into Tamboril, start at the Leon Jiminez/ La Aurora factory and then make you way into the town. Once there you will know you are near one of the many small to larger factories from the smell of tobacco ion the street. That is the motherland of tobacco production in DR. If youre lucky a factory like Flor Dominicana will invite you in for a tour. Sure you can purchase directly from them. Many others you can just walk in. An enjoyable day trip for sure.
Thanks for the tip. I have driven through Tamboril before and I did notice a number of small cigar producers in the area but I will have to spend a bit more time there for sure. I did take the La Aurora tour a couple of years ago and it was a very good experience. I may do it again if they are still hosting tours. I did stop in at LFD one day but they did not seem to welcome drop ins.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
An important point to note is that it is easier to obtain Dominican cigars in the U.S. than it is the in Dom. Rep. Most are exported. Although I live in the D.R. I buy my Dominican cigars in the U.S. because the ones I want (e.g. La Gloria Cubana, Wavell) are not available here.

That being said, for a robust and beautifully crafted cigar, try LFD, La Flor Dominicana. For years I have frequented La Leyenda Cigar Shop and Factory on El Conde and Hostos in Sto. Dom. They have liquors, good coffee, comfortable seating inside with A/C and friendly staff. I recommend their house cigars. They have a large selection. They are a little on the dry side, not being in a humidor, but you can remedy that when you bring a few back to your hotel/home.

If you like a strong cigar with a beautiful draw and good construction, I recommend their robusto maduro for RD$250.

Reactions: CristoRey

CanWest66

May 11, 2008
Canada
An important point to note is that it is easier to obtain Dominican cigars in the U.S. than it is the in Dom. Rep. Most are exported. Although I live in the D.R. I buy my Dominican cigars in the U.S. because the ones I want (e.g. La Gloria Cubana, Wavell) are not available here.

That being said, for a robust and beautifully crafted cigar, try LFD, La Flor Dominicana. For years I have frequented La Leyenda Cigar Shop and Factory on El Conde and Hostos in Sto. Dom. They have liquors, good coffee, comfortable seating inside with A/C and friendly staff. I recommend their house cigars. They have a large selection. They are a little on the dry side, not being in a humidor, but you can remedy that when you bring a few back to your hotel/home.

If you like a strong cigar with a beautiful draw and good construction, I recommend their robusto maduro for RD$250.
Thank you very much for the info. We will be making a trip to the capital. I will stop in and check it out, I definitely appreciate a strong maduro cigar. I too am a fan of La Gloria Cubana and I just ordered some from the US and a relative is bringing them to Santiago for me. I also like LFD but I’m not as familiar with them. I really enjoyed their double ligero the last time I tried one. Cheers

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
About 15 years ago I used to buy hand rolled cigars in bundles of 50 at a factory near Santiago. I can only remember how I got there. I took the Tourista road from Montellano towards Santiago. Continuing before Santiago on your left is a factory. Pretty large. I parked on the street and went in an opening. They are rolling cigars there all day. There ia an office on your left where I purchased the bundles. They are not really open for walk in business, but a propina to the girl took care of that.
Have no idea if they are still there, but if you are taking that road look out for this. And the cigars were good.

Reactions: CristoRey

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
About 15 years ago I used to buy hand rolled cigars in bundles of 50 at a factory near Santiago. I can only remember how I got there. I took the Tourista road from Montellano towards Santiago. Continuing before Santiago on your left is a factory. Pretty large. I parked on the street and went in an opening. They are rolling cigars there all day. There ia an office on your left where I purchased the bundles. They are not really open for walk in business, but a propina to the girl took care of that.
Have no idea if they are still there, but if you are taking that road look out for this. And the cigars were good.
Remember what you paid? Back then I was paying a buck a piece at another small factory. Those days are gone, I'm sure.

NachoBroadway

Jan 3, 2017
Remember what you paid? Back then I was paying a buck a piece at another small factory. Those days are gone, I'm sure.
They're still around. I was in Tamboril a few months ago and bought a stack of cigars for $1 usd each in pesos. The owner was a retired blender from Davidoff.