Citizenship by marriage

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Really a question for Dr. Guzman:

I know that if a woman marries a Dominican man she can then apply for citizenship. What happens if the man dies while they are married? Does she retain the right to citizenship?

Second question: do you see the law changing any time soon allowing men who marry Dominican women the same right?

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Article 18-5 of the new Constitution of the Dominican Republic states: "The following persons are Dominican nationals: ... 5) 5) Any person marrying a Dominican man or woman, provided that such person chooses to acquire the nationality of his or her spouse and fulfills the requirements established by law".

This provision makes the acquisition of citizenship by marriage gender-neutral.

As to whether the widow of a Dominican man also has the special right to citizenship, I'd venture to say no based on the letter of the Constitution.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Thank you so much for this information. Now we wait for the constitution to be implemented - correct? As I understand it is not yet in force.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I think you are reading it correct - the issue is the new constitution is not LAW yet... until then it is just writing on a piece of paper.....LOL

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Equal rights is something though, never could get my head around this one! Good stuff, will make many a wealthy man poor!

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Wow, thanks Fabio. All you men out their married to Dominican chicas can now exercise your rights to citizenship.