Citizenship Vs Residencia

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Anna, even AZB liked me when he met me:)

JH... Is that what you did? I never had to do that Johnny, just like I won't have to worry about going bald. Good genes my friend:) BTW: The cement block WILL make it longer! NO Joke!

Cant wait to read the papers in a few weeks about the increase in sales of cement blocks. Then on 20/20 they will do a show about the new phenomanon.

GNYC

Oct 8, 2002
Gigi and others,

Just want to understand the 6 months (citizenship for sale senario).

If one lives in DR for 6 months without leaving as a tourist he/she could apply for citizenship after the 6 month period if:

You make a considerable investment in DR.
How much money is considerable?
What is the definition of an investment? (putting USD in a DR bank or finance co.?, purchasing a house or condo?. What else would qualify as a considerable investment?

Also stated was establish firm domicily in DR Article 13.
Does that mean buy a house and live there or is there more to establishing firm domicly under Article 13.

If you meet one of these criterias can you get an attorney and get citizenship without ever having residency.
Will that get you a DR passport in addition to your US passport.
How much time after the 6 month period considering the criteria has been met does it take until completion.
Is it a matter of maybe you will be granted citizenship but maybe not even though criteria has been met. ( a grey area).

Seems like the easiest way to move through the whole process if you are serious about making a home there.

Any opinions?

GNYC

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Fabio J. Guzman said:
Law 1683-48 and its modifications establish the conditions under which a foreigner can obtain the Dominican Citizenship. However the citizenship is granted at the sole discretion of the President in the form of a presidential decree. That means that even if the applicant fulfills all the necessary legal requirements, the president still has the right to deny the citizenship.

It is way more faster, safer and cheaper to apply for a permanent residency than for a Dominican Citizenship.

The basic advantage of obtaining the citizenship is the right to vote and the right to run for public office (presidency, vice-presidency, judge at the supreme court excluded).

My opinion is that before you get too excited about instant citizenship that you should read again what Fabio Guzman, the legal resource for this section, said on the subject. I know his credentials as an attorney experienced in both options.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
As Dominican laws are traditionally in favor of Dominicans, obtaining a final Residencia may be insurance against someone "snatching" property one might own... perhaps Fabio G. might comment? Canadian Bob.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Citizenship

For those who know Donald at Condos Sosua, just ask him. He will tell you exactly what the requirements are, the time it takes and the cost. He just got his.
PS. Johnny you can ask him if there was any major increase in the size of his ****

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Johnny's Citizenship Vs Residencia

ricktoronto said:

Oh I think they quite like the tourist dollars whether you overstay or not.

Maybe not for 2 years at a time but if you come and go there are lots of Americans and Canadians I know who ostensibly live there and don't have the time or the desire to get a cedula. I guess if you get in trouble or try to operate a business but to "visit" for a long time they would not even know you are there and the fine when you leave is bupkus.

I think not being on the lists of who is who would be appealing.

I can picture Johnny's face when he laughed out loud reading this.

I just don't have the energy to explain how funny your post was given who you were talking to.

hehehe
marc