Claro Prepaid sim card

Feb 7, 2007
I see that Claro offers Claro Banda Ancha prepaid.

7 days, RD$600 pesos (US$17), taxes included, data transfer 1 GB. This might be the best deal for you. The thing is, you need to activate it in customer service center, and I don;t think there is any in bavaro, Higuey is the nearest one (by Tres Cruces).

Claro :: Claro que tienes ms!

thomppa

Mar 6, 2011
Prepaid mobile data plan is the best option for tourists visiting as I see it...

Wireless internet is available in my hotel, but it is expensive and the coverage is not available even in the complete hotel area.

For me it is a bit strange that the operators do not do more marketing for the tourists for the prepaid data plans! I had to do a lot of investigation and explanation of what I needed before I actually was able to buy it. This is how I did:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/north-east-coast/110153-mobile-sim-card-data-samana-las-galeras-area.html

/Thomppa

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I see that Claro offers Claro Banda Ancha prepaid.

7 days, RD$600 pesos (US$17), taxes included, data transfer 1 GB. This might be the best deal for you. The thing is, you need to activate it in customer service center, and I don;t think there is any in bavaro, Higuey is the nearest one (by Tres Cruces).

Claro :: Claro que tienes ms!

Plus you have to buy the dongle - was about 2500 pesos. And it wasn't easy to find a place to renew it - mine was unlimited access.

AE

DarthKnowl

Sep 23, 2012
Actually I have a similar question. I'm going to the DR for 8 days in November & I wanted to unlock my old iPhone (3gs) and put a Claro or Orange SIM in it. Is there a major difference in service, or it dosen't matter?

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Would help to know where in DR you'll be. In some areas Claro is best other areas Orange is best.
Mack.

debinatore

Apr 6, 2006
Back to the originally OP question,,,, does anyone know if the Claro store inside the PUJ airport carrys SIM cards?

les1

Feb 1, 2007
Sim card is like $4. I got that and a phone for about $19. Then you just get calling cards from the place to charge up the minutes
You may get get bombarded with messages as I did with a new Claro card. There is a small charge for these which quickly eat into your credit. Text back "SALIR TODO" to every number they use to stop these.

Yy