Classic Car Import

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
454 was not until 1973 in trucks your thinking the 402 big block in 1972 the picture is a 1972
popeye you know your trucks, yes the 402 cid v8 was available, even with a ss option, it was really a 396 v8, as the emblems said, I worked for chevrolet back then. DOC

Apr 7, 2014
popeye you know your trucks, yes the 402 cid v8 was available, even with a ss option, it was really a 396 v8, as the emblems said, I worked for chevrolet back then. DOC
Did the C/K come with an SS option? The 396 was available as an SS option in the Malibu. The 402 was the Impala SS option. Still overall...not good engines. The cylinder walls are siamesed and too thin.
350 would be the best option because of the wide availability of parts and reliability.

I know the GMC only came with two workhouse V6s at this time but it was typical to upgrade those with Pontiac small blocks(like Kaiser Jeeps coming with Buick engines, even Range Rovers have Buick engines to this day. That 4.6 HSE is an old Buick design from the early 60s).

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
The 4.6HSE V-8 started life as a 260 cu.in small block Buick engine. The Rootes Group which eventually became British Leyland got the license to manufacture them. They placed them in early Range Rovers and the Rootes Sunbeam sports car division placed them in their two seater convertibles and named them Sunbeam Tigers. Carl Shelby teamed up with Rootes and sold them in the US with Ford 289 V-8's. The Shelby Tigers were sleepers. They could blow the doors of the muscle cars of the 70's. There are a few 289 Tigers for sale or restoration but 260's are rare. Don Adams aka Maxwell Smart drove a Tiger during the last season of Get Smart. Nearly bought a Tiger to restore years ago. "Missed it by that much"

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016

I owned a classic car and truck parts company in the USA for years. Also a performance shop. We built stock looking 427 putting out 600 HP. with cast iron intakes. hahaha. cemented.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I would suggest a 1972 or older chev, gmc(the same truck) in a c10 not a c20 and 2 wd. the c10 is a half ton , c20 3/4 ton. You can get with a 350 cid v8 2 barrel carb.,much better ride , better on gas. when you rebuild the engine drop the compression down to 9 to 1 or less. And best of all. all the aftermarket parts are online at very decent prices, the drivetrain, sheetmetal, interior,paint, very easy to restore . The rover you mentioned is a nightmare, the english should not be allowed to manufacture vehicles, no disrespect intended to those present from the uk!!!! when you are finished the chev-gmc truck will always be worth much mony, the rover will not, no fun to drive , worse to fix . DOC

Cool. I'm not too worried about gas milage, reliabilitiy would be nice though. This will literally just be my beachin' truck. Something to have all the beach gear in, and looks good cruising around. I was thinking of finding the camper version, it'd be cool to have a little camper in the DR. I'm going to fabricate a little bar and grill I can put in the box, have a stereo and awning!

I've found a couple locally, mostly in ND, running and in decent shape for about $3-4k. I've got two years to get it fixed up. I just want to make certain it'll be a year and model I can import before I put all that work into it.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
Did the C/K come with an SS option? The 396 was available as an SS option in the Malibu. The 402 was the Impala SS option. Still overall...not good engines. The cylinder walls are siamesed and too thin.
350 would be the best option because of the wide availability of parts and reliability.

I know the GMC only came with two workhouse V6s at this time but it was typical to upgrade those with Pontiac small blocks(like Kaiser Jeeps coming with Buick engines, even Range Rovers have Buick engines to this day. That 4.6 HSE is an old Buick design from the early 60s).

no C/K ever had an SS package, never existed. that was years later. I blew several 427. we had them bored out to the max, we would blow 2 to three cylinder walls and about an 8x8 entire section of them block out of them. we did not know what we were doing. big was better that's all. the truck motors had taller decks than the car motors

the V6's in the GMC were mainly for farm and work trucks, they came in 305 cid 351, the 351 had plaid valve covers. replacing them with a Pontiac motor was really not an upgrade as these were never intended on performance but for work. the sound was goofy. remember the 702 cid v12 gmc? they really were crazy sounding.They were in large trucks. 478 was the largest v6. 350 is the most popular to use true.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
there are several 1956 to 72 chevy/gmc on the north coast. I never see them driven, they are at car dealers mainly

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
Cool. I'm not too worried about gas milage, reliabilitiy would be nice though. This will literally just be my beachin' truck. Something to have all the beach gear in, and looks good cruising around. I was thinking of finding the camper version, it'd be cool to have a little camper in the DR. I'm going to fabricate a little bar and grill I can put in the box, have a stereo and awning!

I've found a couple locally, mostly in ND, running and in decent shape for about $3-4k. I've got two years to get it fixed up. I just want to make certain it'll be a year and model I can import before I put all that work into it.

these trucks are the best things to redo theses days, every year they get more expensive and costly to redo. There is a site 67-72 chevytrucks.com that is a wealth of info.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016

yeah the best chance to find one was the longhorn edition

Apr 7, 2014
there are several 1956 to 72 chevy/gmc on the north coast. I never see them driven, they are at car dealers mainly

I know a guy, actually two guys, in the State of Oregon who make their business on selling running 1955-1959 Chevy/GMC pickups and work trucks. They have other stuff also but the crux of their business is the Chevrolet/GMC pickup from those eras. One of the guys, Rick, runs his shop as Classic Truck Rescue and he does send his cars internationally. He has clients in the Netherlands. He just had those guys come to Oregon and buy two 70s era Rancheros to send back.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016

Sorry what I wanted to say was , the EL Camino came with a 396 v8 with the super sport option. was a malibu with a truck bed, DOC

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I owned a classic car and truck parts company in the USA for years. Also a performance shop. We built stock looking 427 putting out 600 HP. with cast iron intakes. hahaha. cemented.
popeye a man after my own heart,we must be about the same age. I was a car nut when the muscle cars were out. I had one that today is the holy grail of collecters. A 1968 yenko camaro L72 427, close ratio m22 4 speed, 410 diff.special suspension, brakes ,ect, we modified the motor as much as possible, h.p. app 600, 650, was scary fast, then I lightened the body with fiberglass hood and trunk, and aluminium body parts , then took everything out of the car i could. to save weight. It had a very good hp to weight ratio. I held the record at Minnesota dragways for about 2 years running a best of 11.39!!!In B mod. production, If you want to see the articles about the car with photos at the strip pm me and i with give you the name to google it
. DOC

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
I know a guy, actually two guys, in the State of Oregon who make their business on selling running 1955-1959 Chevy/GMC pickups and work trucks. They have other stuff also but the crux of their business is the Chevrolet/GMC pickup from those eras. One of the guys, Rick, runs his shop as Classic Truck Rescue and he does send his cars internationally. He has clients in the Netherlands. He just had those guys come to Oregon and buy two 70s era Rancheros to send back.

I use to sell parts to companies in Oregon, all over usa in fact. I might know those guys. I know a french man that has been doing that for years. he did Harleys, then trucks and now single engine airplanes.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
yeah buddy! I would like to see them. a good friend of mine in texas has a 69 yenko but he chopped it up and pro streeted it. looks good but I would have left it.. I want to tell you an interesting fact. The man who raced all of YENKO cars for them lives in my home town. He is a city councilman in Leaque City Texas. He is a wealth of information on the Yenko

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Guys, this is a reminder that all posts in this thread must be about importing a classic car to DR.

If you want to continue talking about classic cars in general, please start a thread in Off Topic Forum.