Cleaning up Boca Chica

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Fascinating explanations comparing and contrasting one location to another that are undergoing changes of a similar nature. One where the glorious past will be returned and opportunities abound and the other lost forever. Oh well, such is life. Location, location, location.

When is Marriott going to build three properties in Boca Chica? Or have they not yet heard of this incredible opportunity?
They are not similar at all. Yes, location, location and location are the ABC's of building, buying, renovating or speculation of every developer in the world. BC'S location with its proximity to the airport is a PRIME attraction without a doubt. Travel into the Capital is a no brainer to enjoy, shows, dinner and shopping for people with buxs (Yeah I know "You hate the capital... you state that at every opportunity you can) or tourist walking the attractions that are HISTORICAL.

Anyone will see this clearly, after the regeneration of BC. But for speculators they see it now. That's the way real money is made.

I remember, back in the day when you waited to get a table at Boca Marina. BIG cars outsides with people spending a ton of money for drinks and dinner. And Coral Caribe having the contract for American airline crews. Coral selling time shares and deposits being made to their own bank. All of that is IMHO on the horizon (well not timeshares).

There is NO comparison to Sosua for the reasons I'v stated above.

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
This is a ridiculous statement. Most restaurants have alternate sources of power.
The smallest cafes, the majority on calle Duarte, don't have alternate sources of power. And not for the lack of money, but because there is nowhere to place it. Would you drink cafe with combustion engine running 5 meters away from you? (Earplugs are not included in the price).
EDE Este is a failure by design. The managers are busy to serve the big hotels from Bavaro, which are all too happy to see the competition from Boca Chica eradicated.

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
And Italian espresso is often made with a stove top greca. Not a lot of Saeco automatic espresso machines in DR. My small espresso machine runs on my inverter
Greca is fine at home. Not if you are serious about making some money in the hospitality business.

NALs

Polls Forum Moderator
Jan 20, 2003
The smallest cafes, the majority on calle Duarte, don't have alternate sources of power. And not for the lack of money, but because there is nowhere to place it. Would you drink cafe with combustion engine running 5 meters away from you? (Earplugs are not included in the price).
EDE Este is a failure by design. The managers are busy to serve the big hotels from Bavaro, which are all too happy to see the competition from Boca Chica eradicated.
I thought the eastern tip has its own power generator and distribution. Nothing to do with the Edes over there. Investors of CEPM should know.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Nice sarcasm and mocking of "location, location, location". But BC does not need "marriotts" at all. BC does not depend on tourists. BC lives with REAL money from SD. A yuuuge difference. But I am sure that deep in heart you understand it not less than me.
Just only air crews themselves give BC almost 100% occupancy and business. No tourists or expats are needed (nor desired). And hundreds and hundreds of rich Venezuelans. Who come to BC for money laundering. Embassies. Big corporate headquarters. For all of them the only place for a week-end is BC. And due to "location, location, location" this picture will never change.
Sosua is MUCH nicer. BUT. BUT. BUT. FIVE HOURS of driving from SD. No good.
...Speak for yourself... don't care for S.D. or the location...……..

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Whoever still flies to Caracas, multiple airlines had their crews stay overnight in SDO, probably BC. This was a few years ago.
I don't think any air crew stay in Boca Chica. Iberia stay in Nicolas d'Ovando in the Colonial Zone. American stay in Crowne Plaza and I think Delta stay there or in Sheraton, both on the Malecon. Copa stay in the Catalonia also on the Malecon.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
A lot of people complain that there is something in the sea at Boca Chica which makes your skin itch. I stopped going there for that reason, constantly itching after a dip in the sea.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
ryt

A lot of people complain that there is something in the sea at Boca Chica which makes your skin itch. I stopped going there for that reason, constantly itching after a dip in the sea.
Jello fish larvae. Or "micro jello fish". They are invisible. This reaction is typical for a new person during the first 2-3 weeks. After that you do not feel it any longer.
Do not take fresh water shower after swimming. Wipe your affected skin with a diluted vinegar.
Swimming in Sosua is more pleasant. But on the other hand in Sosua one cannot swim at least 50-70 days a year due to waves. In BC - 365 day - guaranteed.
And in Sosua and in the North sharks are possible. In BC there is no sharks. And in Sosua - "man-of-war". Portuguese.

Last edited:

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
I don't think any air crew stay in Boca Chica. Iberia stay in Nicolas d'Ovando in the Colonial Zone. American stay in Crowne Plaza and I think Delta stay there or in Sheraton, both on the Malecon. Copa stay in the Catalonia also on the Malecon.
Yes. They do. In some nicer condo complexes. I know it well first hand for several years. Including yes - AA.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
My daughter was in BC last October and she told me about the improvements being made, she liked it.
BC has potential and I'm glad they're doing something about it.
20 years ago when I was in BC I thought it had potential. Overall, I didn't think it was much different than Sosua 20 years ago except Sosua had more and better bars, clubs, and restaurants. Maybe BC's time has finally come(?).

Caonabo

Silver
Sep 27, 2017
Absolutely true, but we’re talking about Boca Chica, not Tuscany
Not quite. While Canadians and US of A citizens have stopped flocking to BC over the last two decades, the amount of Italian nationals has maintained it's pace there, as well as along the southern coast extending to Bayahibe.

So, for this clientele, caffè espresso machines are a 100% necessity for any business which serves the product. Condo dwellers or home owners would yes, be absolutely content with the use of a greca, but not a commercial establishment attempting to maintain a clientele.

Back in line with the poster's grievance of the power situation, my only consideration was that a "commercial" establishment would have an alternate power service at hand, even if it only be an inversol out of sight. A huge petrol generator is not needed for a sidewalk café.

danely18

Feb 22, 2018
Boca Chica has grown like mad since I stopped going there 15 years ago.....I looked on Booking.com for a place because I would be stuck there a night, and found that the enitire beachfront and hill behind the beach has been built out with condos, hotels, etc. It was shocking to see this, since the area had only a bare hillside of dirt lots and the odd condo built on it before, and what was there was lonely and Calle Duarte dead. So, there has been a lot built, but I have no idea about the occupancy or visitor rates.....somebody must be going there other than flight crews I would think, and something must be happening at night?????? Anybody been there very recently?...I may be there soon and would like to know a bit before I get there.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Boca Chica has grown like mad since I stopped going there 15 years ago.....I looked on Booking.com for a place because I would be stuck there a night, and found that the enitire beachfront and hill behind the beach has been built out with condos, hotels, etc. It was shocking to see this, since the area had only a bare hillside of dirt lots and the odd condo built on it before, and what was there was lonely and Calle Duarte dead. So, there has been a lot built, but I have no idea about the occupancy or visitor rates.....somebody must be going there other than flight crews I would think, and something must be happening at night?????? Anybody been there very recently?...I may be there soon and would like to know a bit before I get there.
Contact Lawrence at the Boat House and you'll get the info you need and he has rooms for you.
https://www.facebook.com/tbhbar/?ei...meline_context_item_source=683874635&fref=tag

THE BOAT HOUSE
is a quiet and relaxed Bar and Restaurant located right on the beach at Boca Chica, Dominican Republic. We are proud of our reputation providing professional, friendly and courteous service

We have a full Menu and offer well displayed reasonable prices on both food and drinks. Breakfast, Dish of the Day and Specials to Take out or enjoy in our restaurant by the beach.
Basic Breakfast $ 230, Dominican Breakfast $ 300, American Breakfast $ 340.
Lunch Dishes every day Monday to Sunday $ 280, from 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm.
Mexican Tuesday Dinners from 7:00 to 9:00 pm $ 280. Margaritas $ 180 each.
Spaghetti Wedneday Dinners from 7:00 to 9:00 pm. Pasta Bolognese or Pomodoro (garlic bread, parmesan cheese and glass of wine included) - For only $ 280.

Consumption Tickets, a form of pre-payment for drinks, are available to all, providing aproximately 20% discount on almost all drinks. Used Tickets are added to a raffle drawn at the end of the month, and the winner receives a free ticket. Purchase them at the Bar.

"Happy Hour" 6:00 to 9:00 pm every day. Domestic alcoholic drinks are discounted about 30%, it's the best deal in town.

WI FI provided free of charge for Customers 24/7.

We provide high quality streaming Internet Radio: Upbeat Latin, Classic & Modern Rock, and Classic & Modern Blues.

Furthermore, we provide live Sports on 3 LED TV”s. Most European and American sports channels are available, including English, Dutch, German, French, Italian, and Spanish Football, American NFL, NHL, MLB, NBA, College Football, UFC, and more. There is also a free book exchange, and a Pool Table.

E mail: lawrencederijk@gmail.com

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
BC beach is beautiful but the beach vendors will drive you nuts...too many street walkers with missing teeth

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
And in Sosua and in the North sharks are possible. In BC there is no sharks. And in Sosua - "man-of-war". Portuguese.
Sharks are possible anywhere on Hispaniola. In fact, of the 3 confirmed shark attacks in Dominican waters, one was in Boca Chica in 2010. This was most likely a post-mortem attack and the victim was not alive when he entered the water. It was confirmed that he was attacked by sharks and they are present.

When I was last there, you could buy dried out, taxidermied nurse sharks along one of the roads. Sharks are present in BC, as they are present in Sosua, and throughout the Caribbean.

Of the other two DR cases, one was in SD in the 60s and the other was on the north coast, I believe. The Punta Cana attack in 2016 is not verified and experts did not agree that is was a shark or some other type of fish as the culprit.

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/shark-attacks/maps/na/bahamas-antilles/