Cleaning up Boca Chica

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Boca Chica will be returned to its former glory and only three people complained about the tear down of the old beach shacks, as I paraphrase the story.

Some of the places were 50 years old that were taken down.

I never got to see the former glory.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Boca Chica will be returned to its former glory and only three people complained about the tear down of the old beach shacks, as I paraphrase the story.

Some of the places were 50 years old that were taken down.

I never got to see the former glory.

It was a lovely place back in mid 70s when we used to go there. So was Embassy Beach (Playa Caribe), sad to see it almost abandoned these days

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Nice to see something constructive happening to BC.

I lived there for a few years back in the eighties and even then the people would complain that the govt. had forgotten about them.

I knew a lot of great folks back in those days.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
Closeness to the capital is a huge advantage of BC. And its huge potential at the same time.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I started my adventures in BC just about 20 years ago. It all started with my aunt that had purchased "tire share weeks" and had so many she would just give them to any family member. A couple of years later I bought 40 weeks and went through them fast. Then I started branching out to other parts of the DR settling in on Juan Dolio 4 times a year.

In two weeks I am " settling in" to a rented apartment in JD having made almost full circle back to BC. I think BC certainly has the potential and I see no reason why it won't re invent itself over the next few years.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Amazing the optimism for Boca Chica and the pessimism for Sosua. Both trying to do about the same thing and going through similar stages.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
Amazing the optimism for Boca Chica and the pessimism for Sosua. Both trying to do about the same thing and going through similar stages.

BC means a vibrating business and tons of money in just 20 miles West. And hundreds and thousands flights through SDQ. With thousands of people constantly needing 2-3 nights of a layover. BC is the only and ideal place for this. JD is too far. And water in BC is much better for swimming than in JD. Just not in the beach but a bit East. In BC in some fine restaurants many times we had lunch next table to the Dominican elite, members of government, generals, local and foreign movie and modelling stars. Once with Leonel. In just four feet away. Top notch music shows every week- streets are full to the limit with mega-expensive vehicles.
Sosua, on the other hand, is an aging community of lower income expats. Including lots of criminals from Russia, Ukraine, Georgia (not US), Azerbaijan. SOV, Sosnovka, Mulatas, some others. Not very desirable neighbors.
Nature in the North is much better than BC. But money is in the capital and around. Not on PC.
Lived for many years both in Sosua (in the very best condos) and in BC. We love Sosua. But it does not have future.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
BC means a vibrating business and tons of money in just 20 miles West. And hundreds and thousands flights through SDQ. With thousands of people constantly needing 2-3 nights of a layover. BC is the only and ideal place for this. JD is too far. And water in BC is much better for swimming than in JD. Just not in the beach but a bit East. In BC in some fine restaurants many times we had lunch next table to the Dominican elite, members of government, generals, local and foreign movie and modelling stars. Once with Leonel. In just four feet away. Top notch music shows every week- streets are full to the limit with mega-expensive vehicles.
Sosua, on the other hand, is an aging community of lower income expats. Including lots of criminals from Russia, Ukraine, Georgia (not US), Azerbaijan. SOV, Sosnovka, Mulatas, some others. Not very desirable neighbors.
Nature in the North is much better than BC. But money is in the capital and around. Not on PC.
Lived for many years both in Sosua (in the very best condos) and in BC. We love Sosua. But it does not have future.

I would think dining with members of govt and with Leonel himself would be akin to the criminals of Russia,Ukraine and the other countries you mentioned

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Fascinating explanations comparing and contrasting one location to another that are undergoing changes of a similar nature. One where the glorious past will be returned and opportunities abound and the other lost forever. Oh well, such is life. Location, location, location.

When is Marriott going to build three properties in Boca Chica? Or have they not yet heard of this incredible opportunity?

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Fascinating explanations comparing and contrasting one location to another that are undergoing changes of a similar nature. One where the glorious past will be returned and opportunities abound and the other lost forever. Oh well, such is life. Location, location, location.

When is Marriott going to build three properties in Boca Chica? Or have they not yet heard of this incredible opportunity?

Lets see after Boca Chica clean up finish what changes will bring.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019

Nice sarcasm and mocking of "location, location, location". But BC does not need "marriotts" at all. BC does not depend on tourists. BC lives with REAL money from SD. A yuuuge difference. But I am sure that deep in heart you understand it not less than me.
Just only air crews themselves give BC almost 100% occupancy and business. No tourists or expats are needed (nor desired). And hundreds and hundreds of rich Venezuelans. Who come to BC for money laundering. Embassies. Big corporate headquarters. For all of them the only place for a week-end is BC. And due to "location, location, location" this picture will never change.
Sosua is MUCH nicer. BUT. BUT. BUT. FIVE HOURS of driving from SD. No good.