Cleaning up Boca Chica

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Nice sarcasm and mocking of "location, location, location". But BC does not need "marriotts" at all. BC does not depend on tourists. BC lives with REAL money from SD. A yuuuge difference. But I am sure that deep in heart you understand it not less than me.
Just only air crews themselves give BC almost 100% occupancy and business. No tourists or expats are needed (nor desired). And hundreds and hundreds of rich Venezuelans. Who come to BC for money laundering. Embassies. Big corporate headquarters. For all of them the only place for a week-end is BC. And due to "location, location, location" this picture will never change.
Sosua is MUCH nicer. BUT. BUT. BUT. FIVE HOURS of driving from SD. No good.

Whoever still flies to Caracas, multiple airlines had their crews stay overnight in SDO, probably BC. This was a few years ago.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
tipo

I would think dining with members of govt and with Leonel himself would be akin to the criminals of Russia,Ukraine and the other countries you mentioned

I did not mean to imply that they are good, clean, honest people. The point was that they are very wealthy and powerful. And they love BC even for a short lunch-break. You will not see this clientele in Sosua. Mongers from the Bronx mostly.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Nice sarcasm and mocking of "location, location, location". But BC does not need "marriotts" at all. BC does not depend on tourists. BC lives with REAL money from SD. A yuuuge difference. But I am sure that deep in heart you understand it not less than me.
Just only air crews themselves give BC almost 100% occupancy and business. No tourists or expats are needed (nor desired). And hundreds and hundreds of rich Venezuelans. Who come to BC for money laundering. Embassies. Big corporate headquarters. For all of them the only place for a week-end is BC. And due to "location, location, location" this picture will never change.
Sosua is MUCH nicer. BUT. BUT. BUT. FIVE HOURS of driving from SD. No good.

No problem from me, Location makes a huge difference and you clarified well why Boca Chica is superior in that way. You did identify the sarcasm I was making of the "superior location".

It takes less than 5 hours to get to Sosua if you take the easterly road up towards Samana from Santo Domingo. I hate Santo Domingo, but that is just me. The time I was in Boca Chica, it was worse than Sosewer ever was. Both will hopefully improve over time.

JDFriend

the Translator
May 15, 2007
I started my adventures in BC just about 20 years ago. It all started with my aunt that had purchased "tire share weeks" and had so many she would just give them to any family member. A couple of years later I bought 40 weeks and went through them fast. Then I started branching out to other parts of the DR settling in on Juan Dolio 4 times a year.

In two weeks I am " settling in" to a rented apartment in JD having made almost full circle back to BC. I think BC certainly has the potential and I see no reason why it won't re invent itself over the next few years.
I personally like JD very much. Been coming here since the 80's. There's the new and the old JD, not the same, but both have restaurants and bars. We try to avoid weekends because very busy. For BC, good news that they are improving it. We might go back and visit in the near future.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDC using Tapatalk

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
At least in Boca Chica 80% of all visitors will be gone right away. Nobody in the right mind would travel to today`s Boca Chica with its trashy so called "beach" and urinated "water". Especially after week-ends and holidays. OMG! It is SOMETHING. To be seen.
Yes, cleanup much needed, agree. Always preferred JD when going to beach close to SD.
Maybe the cleanup can change that.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
No problem from me, Location makes a huge difference and you clarified well why Boca Chica is superior in that way. You did identify the sarcasm I was making of the "superior location".

It takes less than 5 hours to get to Sosua if you take the easterly road up towards Samana from Santo Domingo. I hate Santo Domingo, but that is just me. The time I was in Boca Chica, it was worse than Sosewer ever was. Both will hopefully improve over time.

for the crew if is only one night staying and leaving early in the morning they are using the hotels nearby to the airport, if is longer most common is they stay at Santo Domingo, Air Europa crew always stay at Hamaca because is part of the same company, probably they change hotel as they will be part of IAG group together with Iberia.

Actually things are not like 20 years ago, we are also receiving Urban tourist, and some mixed one like Mexicans they love to split their vacation between Santo Domingo and some beach destination too, slow have been changing since goverment deceided to sell whole country and not only the beach as used to be years ago.

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
Clean is nice, but then you want a cup of Italian expresso.
But you can't, because coffee machines operate on electric current - a scarcity in Boca Chica.
Power goes down for an hour almost every day and for a few hours every week.
Check this to see the condition of power grid:
https://youtu.be/tyz49qKn6m4

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
But you can't, because coffee machines operate on electric current - a scarcity in Boca Chica.

Surely you're not basing your knowledge of the power grid in BC based on one video of one cable??

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

This is a ridiculous statement. Most restaurants have alternate sources of power.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This is a ridiculous statement. Most restaurants have alternate sources of power.

And Italian espresso is often made with a stove top greca. Not a lot of Saeco automatic espresso machines in DR. My small espresso machine runs on my inverter

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
And Italian espresso is often made with a stove top greca. Not a lot of Saeco automatic espresso machines in DR. My small espresso machine runs on my inverter

Residential or commercial? Vastly different experience.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Residential or commercial? Vastly different experience.

I’m aware. We have a Saeco in NJ, fabulous crema and taste. Not a lot of coffee with crema served in DR. In DR, we use either a greca or a DeLonghi, good coffee, but no crema without the proper pressure. We do grind our own beans in DR with a nice burr grinder we brought down, makes a difference.