Climbing Pico Duarte

Jun 21, 2021
Cabarete
i would wait a week till it dries out some, weather and trail conditions are not good at all, very cold (below freezing at night) and very muddy.. it is tough going for the donkeys as well. not sure about the tour/guide companies.

It wasn't me

Banned
Jan 1, 2022
location, location, location
When we climbed Pico Duarte we did as suggested in the link, more or less. Cheap, good guide and a challenging but not technical hike. Very enjoyable. We went up on day to base camp, to the peak and all the way down the next. Exhausting but well worth it. Planning to do it again, soon ;)

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
When we climbed Pico Duarte we did as suggested in the link, more or less. Cheap, good guide and a challenging but not technical hike. Very enjoyable. We went up on day to base camp, to the peak and all the way down the next. Exhausting but well worth it. Planning to do it again, soon ;)

Who's we?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My friend went recently.
Something went wrong at the 'halfway house' where you stay.
They were put in a stable... literally on hay..... no amenities.

Not fun

It wasn't me

Banned
Jan 1, 2022
location, location, location
My friend went recently.
Something went wrong at the 'halfway house' where you stay.
They were put in a stable... literally on hay..... no amenities.

Not fun
When we climbed we planned to 'rough it" and did. We didn't even bring a tent, just basically tarps, and slept by a fire. It was uncomfortably cold at worst, for perhaps an hour, and then amazing. By the time we got to the basecamp we were so exhausted we crashed hard after a hot meal. It was an excellent adventure and if not for Covid we would have done it again this year.