Clinics In or Near Sosua/Cabarete

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
834
0
0
I've already done a search on DR1, but was unable to find a thread that specifically makes reference to clinics in or near Sosua/Cabarete that provide STD and HIV testing.

I would appreciate it if anyone could recommend a few clinics near Sosua/Cabarete that provide STD and HIV testing and could detail general information in reference to the clinic (English speaking, types of STD tests provided, cost of tests, address, phone number, turnaround time for results, wait time to see a nurse/physician, hours of operation, and an overall rating of service provided.)


Thanks,
Helpmann :)
 

Ken

Well-known member
Jan 1, 2002
13,510
172
63
Servi Med in Cabarete offers lab service, but I believe they send the items to be tested to another lab. Don't know whether they do the tests you asked about.

Centro Medico Bournigal in Puerto Plata does the work, also the medical center near it (can't remember its name). I know somebody who just had the tests done at that lab.
 

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
834
0
0
Access to Results?

Ken said:
Servi Med in Cabarete offers lab service, but I believe they send the items to be tested to another lab. Don't know whether they do the tests you asked about.

Centro Medico Bournigal in Puerto Plata does the work, also the medical center near it (can't remember its name). I know somebody who just had the tests done at that lab.
Ken (or anyone),

Can you provide any further information on the service provided at Centro Medico Bournigal (walk-in service, turn-around time, wait-time in queue, cost, quality?)

Also, do the nurses/doctors only provide the results to the patient or do they provide them to the guy paying for the exams ("boyfriend") as well?


Thanks,
Helpmann :)
 

Kiwicanuck

New member
Dec 4, 2004
200
2
0
71
www.kiwicanuck.com
Puerta Plata is the answer

Ken said:
Servi Med in Cabarete offers lab service, but I believe they send the items to be tested to another lab. Don't know whether they do the tests you asked about.

Centro Medico Bournigal in Puerto Plata does the work, also the medical center near it (can't remember its name). I know somebody who just had the tests done at that lab.
I believe in regard to the O.P. question one gets the testing done in Puerta Plata. That was the experience of a friend of mine that just had it done.

Two weeks ago I made 3 visits to Servi Med in Cabarete.

I had an ear infection that was bothering me a lot.

The first visit I saw the German Dr. who seemed to handle the situation well.

No problem with them accepting my travel insurance and not wanting any money from me and they contacted the insurance company to direct bill them etc. The Cabarete clinic is owned and operated by Breezes.

My second visit I saw the Dominican Dr. there. He asked me which ear I had the problem with and looked in it first and then checked my good ear before I could grab his wrist to stop him. Never does a Dr. do that as he could infect the second ear with the infection from the other ear. Its always the good ear first and then the inffected ear. The next day I had the infection in both ears. What a dumb pr..k.

.
 

HOWMAR

New member
Jan 28, 2004
2,624
2
0
helpmann said:
Ken (or anyone),

Can you provide any further information on the service provided at Centro Medico Bournigal (walk-in service, turn-around time, wait-time in queue, cost, quality?)

Also, do the nurses/doctors only provide the results to the patient or do they provide them to the guy paying for the exams ("boyfriend") as well?


Thanks,
Helpmann :)
Centro Medical Bournigal is a full service hospital with attached professinal office building. They provide most general hospital services including Emergency Room, Laboratory, Radiology etc. They are well qualified for most routine procedures and illnesses. If I needed major surgery or had a major illness, I probably would go to Santiago, Santo Domingo, or back to the US. You probably want your girlfriend to see one of the GYNs. There are probably at least 6-8 with offices next to the Clinic. As with everthing in the DR, the one with the peso is in control. I'm sure if you went to the Dr. with your GF and explained the reason for the visit, you would get the results, along with the bill.
 

Chris

New member
Oct 21, 2002
7,951
28
0
www.caribbetech.com
Kiwicanuck said:
The Cabarete clinic is owned and operated by Breezes.
Don't know where you picked up this info, but it is not correct.

Kiwicanuck said:
My second visit I saw the Dominican Dr. there. He asked me which ear I had the problem with and looked in it first and then checked my good ear before I could grab his wrist to stop him. Never does a Dr. do that as he could infect the second ear with the infection from the other ear. Its always the good ear first and then the inffected ear. The next day I had the infection in both ears. What a dumb pr..k.
Cannot comment on what happened to you but this 'Dominican Dr.' is a friend and takes care of our granddaughter if she has any need for medical attention. He has never in the last three years done anything dumb in any of the medical procedures that he did for any of my family. Perhaps you should go back and ask him if anything that he did, could have caused the other ear to become infected. Perhaps you already had a similar infection brewing in your 'healthy' ear.
 

Ken

Well-known member
Jan 1, 2002
13,510
172
63
helpmann said:
Ken (or anyone),

Can you provide any further information on the service provided at Centro Medico Bournigal (walk-in service, turn-around time, wait-time in queue, cost, quality?)

Also, do the nurses/doctors only provide the results to the patient or do they provide them to the guy paying for the exams ("boyfriend") as well?
When you go to Bournigal for lab work, the first thing you do is go to the cashier's office. It is on the first floor. Enter the regular entrance, turn left, and you will see the office on your right. You go in, tell them what you want, and they will write up an order. They will give this to the cashier in the little booth. You pay her and she gives you the order. If you go to lab first, they will just send you back to the cashier.

You then go to the lab. If you enter building, turn left, pass the cashier's office and turn right at the hallway, pass xray and you will come to the lab. It will be on your left. Give the girl the order and wait to be called. If you have the tests in the morning, the results should be available that afternoon. You go back with a copy of the order and pick up the results. The results are given to the person who has that piece of paper in hand.

If you go with the girl to get the tests, hold onto a copy so you can pick up the results later. If you give her the money to have the test and she goes on her own, you will see the results only if she shows them to you.
 

SKY

New member
Apr 11, 2004
9,920
216
0
Cannot comment on what happened to you but this 'Dominican Dr.' is a friend and takes care of our granddaughter if she has any need for medical attention. He has never in the last three years done anything dumb in any of the medical procedures that he did for any of my family. Perhaps you should go back and ask him if anything that he did, could have caused the other ear to become infected. Perhaps you already had a similar infection brewing in your 'healthy' ear.[/QUOTE]

I would assume he is talking about Naurio. If he is I cannot believe his complaint either. This Doctor is excellent. I say this from years of experience. Maybe it is a new Doctor?
 

Chris

New member
Oct 21, 2002
7,951
28
0
www.caribbetech.com
SKY said:
I would assume he is talking about Naurio. If he is I cannot believe his complaint either. This Doctor is excellent. I say this from years of experience. Maybe it is a new Doctor?
My comment refers to Naurio who is an excellent family physician. :classic:
 

Kiwicanuck

New member
Dec 4, 2004
200
2
0
71
www.kiwicanuck.com
To clear the air a little

I stand corrected as I mis-read my receipt when I said the Cabarete Servi-Med Clinic was owned by Breezes. I see now it has another Clinic at Breezes in Sosua and that is were I made the mistake.

I thought I was positive regarding the service there except for the one problem, albiet a big problem, I had with the Dominican Dr.

I regret using and withdraw the word 'pr..k' I put before dumb in my discription of what he did when he examined me. However I do stand by what I believe was his poor judgement in how he examined me. I did go back and tell him how I felt regarding it.

.
 

Chris

New member
Oct 21, 2002
7,951
28
0
www.caribbetech.com
Kiwicanuck said:
I stand corrected as I mis-read my receipt when I said the Cabarete Servi-Med Clinic was owned by Breezes. I see now it has another Clinic at Breezes in Sosua and that is were I made the mistake.

I thought I was positive regarding the service there except for the one problem, albiet a big problem, I had with the Dominican Dr.
We'll not make a big deal of any of this, OK.. One issue that I will say... Why are you highlighting the 'Dominican' Doctor? If I go to the States or Canada and have a problem, I do not say I have a problem with the Canadian or the American Doctor or the Pakistani Doctor. I say I have a problem with Dr Smith or Dr Whatever, or a Doctor at the medi-clinic.

IMHO, it has something to do with respect - there are many Dominican members of this board and seems to me they cringe when they read something like that. I cringed.

Can we stick to - you had a problem with a Doctor at the Cabarete clinic?. The stupid fool stuck his instruments in the wrong ear. OK? then I'll be happy. :classic: And I do absolutely insist on happiness.
 

Ken

Well-known member
Jan 1, 2002
13,510
172
63
Good point, Chris. All my doctors are Dominican. Some were trained in the US, others in Europe, Mexico and the Dominican Republic. I don't talk about having Domican doctors, I talk about the great doctors I have. I would put them up against doctors anywhere.