Clothes Pins

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
There's really not much better the smell and feel of clothes line dried clothes still warm from the sun :love:

I don't know how long they have been around in the states, but there is a fairly new type of softener on the market these days that is called "Scent Booster beads". You throw them in the washer during the wash cycle instead of the rinse cycle.

I was really surprised just how well they work, both as a softener and adding a refreshing scent to your clothes.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
I don't know how long they have been around in the states, but there is a fairly new type of softener on the market these days that is called "Scent Booster beads". You throw them in the washer during the wash cycle instead of the rinse cycle.

I was really surprised just how well they work, both as a softener and adding a refreshing scent to your clothes.
I don't like unnecessary chemicals so I have not used fabric softener in decades and the thought of the fake smell "boosters" makes me sick just thinking about it. If you read the fine print on a box of "dryer sheets" for example, they warn you how toxic they are and to wash your hands after you handle them....but "to each their own" I guess

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Thee's really not much better the smell and feel of clothes line dried clothes still warm from the sun :love:
Hah.
You make it sound almost romantic.
I'd be tempted to wager that you weren't the one doing the ironing.
Although is has been years since I dried any clothes on a clothesline I seem to recall the a certain stiffness in the fabric.
Nothing very soft and cuddly.
MInd you that was before the days of the synthetic fabrics.
Cotton off the line is as stiff as a board.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I don't like unnecessary chemicals so I have not used fabric softener in decades and the thought of the fake smell "boosters" makes me sick just thinking about it. If you read the fine print on a box of "dryer sheets" for example, they warn you how toxic they are and to wash your hands after you handle them....but "to each their own" I guess

Another issue on fabric softener is that it effs up your washing machine. My kid loves it because of the scent and it's not our washer, but I don't use it at all.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Another issue on fabric softener is that it effs up your washing machine. My kid loves it because of the scent and it's not our washer, but I don't use it at all.

Vinegar is supposed to be good for reducing, if not eliminating, static cling.
I used it for years (especially in the winter) as a replacement for fabric softeners as I found the smells nauseating.
When I purchased my new washer and dryer last year I found a recommendation to not use vinegar.
Apparently it can damage some parts over time. (a skeptical person might think it was an agreement with the softener manufacturers.)
I did break down and buy a bottle of fabric softener but...I don't care for it.
It leaves a residue and it smells.

Mariahboater

SHIPWRECKED
Aug 7, 2020
Ontario

You can buy it in Santiago pricesmart unstoppables it's great don't use to much.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Although is has been years since I dried any clothes on a clothesline I seem to recall the a certain stiffness in the fabric.
You are dead on point when it comes to cotton off the line.
But things like my undergarments usually contain a small mix of synthetic fiber that helps with that.
Now my all cotton towels from IKEA...they be stiffer than the sticks up the (insert inappropriate language of your choice here) of some of the posters responding to me on DR1. 🤪

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
Hah.
You make it sound almost romantic.
I'd be tempted to wager that you weren't the one doing the ironing.
I'll take that bet! :p In the DR of course it's a different matter. Mi novia would not allow me, unless I pressed the issue, but one has to keep up appearances ;)

It IS kinda romantic, as am I :D

I don't fit a lot of stereotypes...regardless of how much some, not you dear Fly, try and force it.

I love how clothes, sheets, and especially towels are fresh off the line. Always have and hope I always will. 🙃😍

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I love how clothes, sheets, and especially towels are fresh off the line. Always have and hope I always will. 🙃😍
I have owned electrical dryer for many years here in the 🇩🇴 .
I bought it because I lived in a high rise apartment and only had a small balcony.
I would dry my clothes on one of the clothes hanging ting a ma jig that I bought from IKEA.
Unless I had an emergency.
Now I always used the dryer for my sheets and towels.
As, I needed to change the linens on my bed every day and sometimes twice a day. ;)

Now I have a terrace where I installed a solar clothes dryer.
And I :love: it.
But I really do miss the option of having the dryer when the my solar clothes dryers is off line.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
its less the quality of the pegs than the harshness of the DR sun, in my opinion.

that said, i dont buy pegs in the DR because quality does suck.

however, the pegs we buy in europe last years there, and the same ones only last 1 year max in the DR.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
My clothes dry on an enclosed screened porch, the Sun does not shine on the pins.
It's usually always windy here, so the clothes dry fast.

The wood and plastics clothes pins are still crap here.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I'll take that bet! :p
Now why did I know you were going to say that?
lol.
Even as I was writing it, I knew I was being very presumptuous and, quite possibly, very far off the mark.
A teachable moment.
Prejudice, engage with caution.
btw...
I don't use an iron, never have.
That's probably why I love the dryer and...the new synthetic fabrics.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
btw...

I never leave the house with wrinkles. My mother was very firm about that growing up. Always ironed.
Also no underwear as outerwear (T-shirts). She would tell me and 2 brothers "We're not raising any James Deans in this house".

60 years later and I still obey her. No T-Shirts of any kind in public.

Underwear as outerwear. Cats living with Dogs. The downfall of Society is imminent.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I never leave the house with wrinkles. My mother was very firm about that growing up. Always ironed.
Also no underwear as outerwear (T-shirts). She would tell me and 2 brothers "We're not raising any James Deans in this house".

60 years later and I still obey her. No T-Shirts of any kind in public.

Underwear as outerwear. Cats living with Dogs. The downfall of Society is imminent.
lol.
My mother had similar advice albeit a little more brutal.
Don't ever leave the house with dirty underwear she would say. "If you are ever in a car accident and you have dirty underwear...I won't claim you."
That one stuck.
I never leave the house in dirty underwear.
And unlike some people I know, I would never dream of turning them inside out to wear a second day.
Pee-ew.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Now why did I know you were going to say that?
lol.
Even as I was writing it, I knew I was being very presumptuous and, quite possibly, very far off the mark.
A teachable moment.
Prejudice, engage with caution.
btw...
Try using wool balls in your dryer. Clothes dry faster and fluffier.

• Haha