CNN Airs About Dominican Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
- The CNN article is correct about the racism.
- Incorrect about losing citizenship they never had.
- How did the woman "regain" her citizenship by proving only that she was born in the DR? That of itself is NOT sufficient.

After living 8 years in the US now every Dominican friend that I have looks to me of African descendance, AA here in the US reminds me my people in the DR.
I told my wife the other day... AA and 80% of Dominicans looks just like brothers.
My wife and my family is of light skinned people but we are clear that at some point in our history there it was a African blood mixture in our DNA.
I don't think the hate of most Dominicans for the Haitians is about racism I thing is related to nationalism...

JJ

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Bob, hate is a strong word. Let's go with dislike. I should point out that I didn't mean to generalize. It's been my experience that a lot of Dominicans have a strong opinion of Haitians. Like it or not.

I've been here 12 years....only been to Haiti for a grand total of three months. So...I find that I have to explain myself to you.

However at the end of the day I really only want to say two words to you.

I love you too Joe.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You've said it exactly, it's about nationalism.

I agree with this. Where we live, the Dominicans are as black as Haitians, it's not color related. I can't speak for other areas of DR, but here there is a mistrust and sometimes hatred of Haitians as a whole.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I agree with this. Where we live, the Dominicans are as black as Haitians, it's not color related. I can't speak for other areas of DR, but here there is a mistrust and sometimes hatred of Haitians as a whole.

100% agreed. All of my Dominican friends tell me its nationalism and pride.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I'm not your personal tutor, hire one if you need to understand the dichotomy among Haiti and DR ever since their origin up to now. No other countries spare the same in the entire planet.

Cyrpus, St Martin/ Sint Maarten.....one's got a wall and a DMZ, in the other the only way you know when you've crossed over is the color of the pavement under your car. Not everyone feels the need to hate their neighbor.

Sep 4, 2012
Cyrpus, St Martin/ Sint Maarten.....one's got a wall and a DMZ, in the other the only way you know when you've crossed over is the color of the pavement under your car. Not everyone feels the need to hate their neighbor.

None of them have the same features portrayed with Haiti and DR; those two are totally different countries with different people and opposite cultures, yet sharing the same island.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
None of them have the same features portrayed with Haiti and DR; those two are totally different countries with different people and opposite cultures, yet sharing the same island.

Why do you say opposite cultures? Different, maybe, especially the language, but opposite?

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I think they are the same people but different government policy... Reading the world Atlas they are the same slaves descendants the French brought to Haiti during the colonization.

Mi punto de vista!

JJ

Salcedo

Apr 17, 2016
We're rather tolerant with the Haitians considering our situation, no other country in the region has to share an island with the poorest country in the western hemisphere. Haitians are lucky to be next to such a passive society, there is no real racism nor nationalism in DR, we crack jokes and talk some **** and that's about it. If any other country in Latin-America had the amount of Haitian migrants that we have there would be constant xenophobic attacks towards them. Just look at the way Mexicans treat Central Americans or how Argentines treat Peruvians and other South American migrants for example. These migrants have a similar culture to the people in their host countries, unlike Haitians in DR, yet there's a stronger animosity.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
From the posted article:

Hate on the radio waves
It's early morning, and we're on the road between Santiago and Puerto Plata. The drive is longer than an hour, and because we're tired, the small talk subsides and it's silent in the car.
Except for the radio.

Two hosts are talking about immigration. They are discussing a campaign by groups supporting Haitian immigrants to boycott Dominican exports to Haiti.
"The Haitians say they want to boycott Dominican products. So they will eat dirt, since you know the Haitians eat dirt," one host says.
The other host agrees: How are Haitians going to eat, since they don't produce anything? "They are ungrateful."
Dominican President Danilo Medina's restrictive immigration policies are good for the country, the hosts say, praising him for sticking to his guns.
One of the hosts suggests Haiti is trying to discredit the Dominican Republic in the eyes of the international community.
"I think this is the only country in the world where migrants aren't mistreated," he says. "Here, everyone is supportive."
We turn the dial and hear more of the same on another station.
Haitians "are unappreciative of this country," this host says.
Everything the international media has reported about the mistreatment of Haitians is wrong, he says.
"We are not the abusers of the Haitians; we are their saviors," he says.
The rhetoric is hateful and racist.
"(Haitians) lack hygiene, they're not sanitary," the host says.
We turn the radio off.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I must say I'm shocked by how fanciful some of the comments are in this thread. It is a big world beyond the Caribbean:

Balkans
Isarael/rest of the Middle East
Iraq/Iran
Germany/every bordering or nearby country during World Wars that is not Switzerland
China/Taiwan
Korea/Japan
North Korea/South Korea
North Viet Nam/South Viet Nam
etc.

I would not object to this thread being closed now as it is unlikely to veer back on topic.

Ya alright....what kind of infrastructure construction here would happen without Haitianos?

However having said that I've rarely seen an adjacent nation hate the other as Dominicans do.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
It's the classic "two wrongs make me right" response in this culture to answer criticism with references to what others are doing, rather like schoolchildren when they are caught out.

We're rather tolerant with the Haitians considering our situation, no other country in the region has to share an island with the poorest country in the western hemisphere. Haitians are lucky to be next to such a passive society, there is no real racism nor nationalism in DR, we crack jokes and talk some **** and that's about it. If any other country in Latin-America had the amount of Haitian migrants that we have there would be constant xenophobic attacks towards them. Just look at the way Mexicans treat Central Americans or how Argentines treat Peruvians and other South American migrants for example. These migrants have a similar culture to the people in their host countries, unlike Haitians in DR, yet there's a stronger animosity.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
"Nationalism" and "pride" play better in the international press and with foreigners. The issues don't tend to be presented that way in unfiltered forums. Some here will know what I mean. I won't attempt to convince others.

100% agreed. All of my Dominican friends tell me its nationalism and pride.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's the classic "two wrongs make me right" response in this culture to answer criticism with references to what others are doing, rather like schoolchildren when they are caught out.

Aka whataboutery.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I agree with you about the Dominican Republic would get on without Haiti and its cheap labor - - assuming the foreign aid were to continue and fill the gap.

This is the same old subject that has been discussed dozens and dozens of times. What is the "racism" against Haitians?
Why can't Dominicans carry on fine without Haiti?
If we sawed off the country, DR would be just fine. We don't need their cheap labor, it drives up the level of unemployment. Dominicans want to do those jobs but the pay is low and the industry exploits Haitians who will do anything for a job, any job. The issue is that once they get it just like everyone else they end up wanting ALL the benefits that go attached. They don't get them because they are ILLEGAL and have broken the law already so they are now in a catch 22, so what do they do? Racisme, racisme, rascisme.
CNN Always UNFAIR AND UNBALANCED. Whoever believes what they watch on CNN deserves to keep eating poop for breakfast. These psyops called news are getting tiresome.
LC...

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
"Nationalism" and "pride" play better in the international press and with foreigners. The issues don't tend to be presented that way in unfiltered forums. Some here will know what I mean. I won't attempt to convince others.

I live here. Have a lot of Dominican friends. They all tell me the same thing.
Its not racism, its national pride. I understand not every Dominican feels this way.
Need I say this has nothing to do with the international press or what foreigners think.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
You are a FOREIGNER who "lives here." Listen to Dominicans speak about it when they don't know you are listening.

I live here. Have a lot of Dominican friends. They all tell me the same thing.
Its not racism, its national pride. I understand not every Dominican feels this way.
Need I say this has nothing to do with the international press or what foreigners think.

Status
Not open for further replies.