Coastal Convenience Store Sosua/Cabarete

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Heads up if you normally buy bottled water at coastal when you get gas. The store is closed while the new ownership transitions so the water is sold at the car detail shop on the west side of their parking area. Gas station still in operations.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Abuela, Grandma ,
I wondered what had happened - they only take CASH for petrol now too!

Olly

Aug 21, 2007
Coastal No Mas!

Did I somehow miss a thread about this? I can't believe no one posted the news.

I drove to Coastal today to get gas, only to see that it is no longer Coastal. It is Next! Additionally, the little grocery is completely gutted and gone. I asked the workers about it and was told that Peter sold the station to someone from SD who owns the Next gas stations. Within a month, they anticipate having the grocery rebuilt and reopened. Some of the workers were let go and others, are still employed. Those that remain commented that they like the new owner, that he is a good and fair man.

I asked about Peter and was told that he is now in Spain opening a restaurant.

My big question was "How long did you say that I had to wait to buy bottles of coconut water?"

Lindsey

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
You missed the thread I started on 5/1. Next is just the re-branding name for Coastal all their delivery trucks have had the new logo for over a year. We have heard a branch bank will be added as well as the new c-store.

Aug 21, 2007
You missed the thread I started on 5/1. Next is just the re-branding name for Coastal all their delivery trucks have had the new logo for over a year. We have heard a branch bank will be added as well as the new c-store.

Thanks, Abuela. Yes, I did miss the thread. Don't know how that happened.

Lindsey

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
It's a shame. It was really convenient stop in it's day.

The grocery store was very handy and prices were fair, especially the booze.
It had an ATM.
There was a fast food restaurant which actually wasn't bad.
They had fuel.

Now.....

No grocery store.
I had my card cloned at that ATM.
The restaurant now serves Dominican crap.
The last time my Dad bought diesel from them, it knackered his engine. It was more water than diesel.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
beeza, question on the card that was cloned. Was it a credit card?

My investigation into DR cloning of cards is that credit cards are copied in the office where the data is managed by employees with access to that sensitive information.
The ATM you use is not the issue as I understand it in these cases. International credit cards are much more vulnerable than DR cards, but DR cards are still cloned. We have had both US and DR cards cloned and no longer use credit cards in the DR. I "can't wait" until the "cashless" DR exists and such fraud multiplies exponentially.

With ATM cards, I have not had a problem with cloning.

Last edited:

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
beeza, question on the card that was cloned. Was it a credit card?

My investigation into DR cloning of cards is that credit cards are copied in the office where the data is managed by employees with access to that sensitive information.
The ATM you use is not the issue as I understand it in these cases. International credit cards are much more vulnerable than DR cards, but DR cards are still cloned. We have had both US and DR cards cloned and no longer use credit cards in the DR. I "can't wait" until the "cashless" DR exists and such fraud multiplies exponentially.

With ATM cards, I have not had a problem with cloning.

A UK credit card.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A UK credit card.

Then it is likely the ATM was not where the cloning took place, but rather it was in the office where the transaction was cleared.

I just don't use credit cards here. Not worth the hassle.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Proud New Management

It's a shame. It was really convenient stop in it's day.

The grocery store was very handy and prices were fair, especially the booze.
It had an ATM.
There was a fast food restaurant which actually wasn't bad.
They had fuel.

Now.....

No grocery store.
I had my card cloned at that ATM.
The restaurant now serves Dominican crap.
The last time my Dad bought diesel from them, it knackered his engine. It was more water than diesel.

Yes, but now it is under DOMINICAN management.
Should they not have a sign saying so?? :cheeky:

donP

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
my new Chase card is chipped. Have no idea if its any safer. Only good side is that US banks give you the money right back.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
my new Chase card is chipped. Have no idea if its any safer. Only good side is that US banks give you the money right back.

I would expect it is not any safer if the clowns doing the cloning are the ones in the local office who still have all the information they need.

Aug 6, 2006
Water gets into the Diesel usually from condensation, which occurs more often when the tank is left with a lot of air in it for a long period of time.
The water goes to the bottom because it is heavier, and when the tank under the station is low, the pump sucks up water.
This is also how you get algae in the system. In the US the highest priced stations have the least business, and are more likely to give you this problem.

Also, when you fill up any vehicle, avoid doing so when they are filling the tanks, as it roils up condensed water, rust and goo and it ends up in your filter.

In the DR there is not a price difference between stations. Try to visit the most frequented ones.