Cocaine via Caribe Tours?

CristoRey

Double soy latte-sugar free syrup w/ 1% milk
Apr 1, 2014
Since you asked.
The smuggler should have put the blow inside a Pelican case. They are the hard sided plastic cases made for cameras and delicate equipment.
They are designed to be waterproof and air tight and even have little screw that can be opened and closed for the pressures change on aircraft.

I had a Miami customs agent go for a hammer to open my Pelican case after it held the negative pressure from the plane.
I let him struggle ineffectually for a time until the sight of the hammer stimulated my memory of the pressure screw.

Sloppy foolish smugglers are the usually the ones caught.
Biggest beneficiary of the war on drugs is the police agencies.
If they ever won the war the world could retire half its drug policemen and women.

I have to agree with Windy about the "war" and its being the biggest waste of money and lives in history.
Hard to believe so much money and effort spent so ineffectually.

The stories do make for good tv though.
My fave smuggler was a California surfboard maker who achieved fame from the movie Endless Summer.
Used interior of surfboards to conceal reefer.
Cameras galore at every Caribe bus station.
Shouldn't be too difficult to prove either way.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
We do not know the details. Usually to place cargo on the bus you need a ticket. If no paper work is found then Caribe Tour is responsible more likely insider job easly found.. Let the prosecutor do their job.

JD Jones

Moderator - Covid 19 in DR & North Coast
Jan 7, 2016
"liberal"!!!!
Dont be tossing Windy over here.
He is some sort of Libertarian diluted with pragmatism.
The drug war is a pet peeve to any pragmatist.

About the bus stop and catch of all that coke. I have driven past that particular police checkpoint and been stopped.
Never saw any dogs.
You think they knew exactly where to look?

It does seem kinda odd for a checkpoint like that to have LE canines.

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
It does seem kinda odd for a checkpoint like that to have LE canines.
I read in another news article they were informed that the drugs were on the bus

According to the authorities' report, the institution had the information that inside the trunk there were two black packages with the alleged drug.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
"Legalize". Spoken like a true liberal that you are. Any thoughts on that subject??
Liberal? Hardly. I am a Libertarian. About the furthest thing possible from a liberal that exists on most issues.
If some liberals also agree with abolishing the failed drug war, I cannot help that similarity.
It may be one of the few points upon which we agree.

My comments specifically are about the failed war on drugs and how it will never end along with all of the collateral damage it causes.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
And we are
So, Canada legalized and regulated all drugs like Portugal? I missed that somewhere.

At least people aren't being put in jail for simply having cannabis.
Only marijuana is legalized and we are allowed to grow a restricted number of plants in our houses for our own consumption. Sweeeet! Think of the tax revenue the DR government could rake in if they went the same way. Even Arnold the Terminator saw the value of doing that. Some of our cities have legalized drug injection sites and methadone programs for hard drug users. I can’t see the DR government going that route.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
And we are
Only marijuana is legalized and we are allowed to grow a restricted number of plants in our houses for our own consumption. Sweeeet! Think of the tax revenue the DR government could rake in if they went the same way. Even Arnold the Terminator saw the value of doing that. Some of our cities have legalized drug injection sites and methadone programs for hard drug users. I can’t see the DR government going that route.

How could the DR government rake in tax revenue on a restricted amount of plants in someone's house?

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
So, Canada legalized and regulated all drugs like Portugal? I missed that somewhere.

At least people aren't being put in jail for simply having cannabis.
During the many years I wintered in Playa Dorada, I have seen the public usage of hard drugs by drunken tourists at the resorts. Drug dealers frequent the bars and the mall in the area. The tourist police seem to take a low profile approach to drug enforcement in that tourist area.

How could the DR government rake in tax revenue on a restricted amount of plants in someone's house?
The main revenue income is generated from the sale of marijuana from legal shops and dispensaries, not from personal use home grown weed. The DR climate would make growing quality weed in legalized grow ops easy.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
During the many years I wintered in Playa Dorada, I have seen the public usage of hard drugs by drunken tourists at the resorts. Drug dealers frequent the bars and the mall in the area. The tourist police seem to take a low profile approach to drug enforcement in that tourist area.

The main revenue income is generated from the sale of marijuana from legal shops and dispensaries, not from personal use home grown weed. The DR climate would make growing quality weed in legalized grow ops easy.

Ah. Thanks for the clarification. One would think politicians would get involved with it from the get go.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Ah. Thanks for the clarification. One would think politicians would get involved with it from the get go.
What’s ironic is the DR is a US bound transhipping point for weed and hard drugs from Colombia and other countries. If they legalized cannabis they could reverse the problem to some extent, grow a quality product, export it, cut back on enforcement resources, and increase their tax revenue. A side effect of this is the enhanced draw for tourists who enjoy sun, sand, and a bit of weed consumption in an unrestricted environment.

Reactions: slowmo