Cockfighting is back

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Pelea-de-Gallos-Commons-Wikimedia-e1605187407905.jpg

Gatherings at cockfighting rings are legal again, after being authorized. The sports betting events need to respect Covid-19 protocols. EFE reports that the Coliseo Gallístico de Santo Domingo reopened for the matches with the presence of 20% of capacity.

The reopening occurred after prosecutors in Montecristi had arrested a large group of gamblers at a cockfighting ring, including the former husband and sons of the provincial prosecutor.

Read more in Spanish:El Nuevo Diario

14 April 2021

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Big

Apr 24, 2019
This is news to me. I had just assumed that chicken fighting was always illegal, as in the USA. Another day, another piece of info!
my man SanPedro, pelea de gallos is second only to baseball here. We need to get you to attend a few rounds

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Cockfights are no different than dogfights. They should be illegal.
well actually there is a huge difference as in comparative anatomy. One of my most favorite things to do is attend the pelea de gallos. The business and political hierarchy are always represented at the fights. The cockfights, like baseball are a religion here. Besides I like the chicken and plantains after the fights. I also have a system when betting :D

• Love
Reactions: jinty05

Big

Apr 24, 2019
No thanks. I know it's cultural, but it's just not for me. Neither is bull fighting, dog fighting, or any kind of fighting.

Now ice hockey, that's me some civilized sport. 😂 😂 😂
i respect that. cockfighting certainly is in a totally different realm then dogfighting but its not for everyone. FYI there is a cockfighting ring in almost every single town here. timekeepers/ referee's are respected men in the community

Reactions: Ken

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
i respect that. cockfighting certainly is in a totally different realm then dogfighting but its not for everyone. FYI there is a cockfighting ring in almost every single town here. timekeepers/ referee's are respected men in the community
Yes, cockfighting is important in the culture of the Dominican Republic and people in all social classes participate. I am sure many top officials in the government have fighting cocks, very possibly even the President. Fighting cocks are treated as important members of a great many Dominican homes and in some cases probably receive better care than do the children. When you say there is a ring in every single town some may think you mean small towns. Better to say every town and city, including Santo Domingo and Santiago where the top people in the country go regularly. many of them to watch their own cocks fight.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
my man SanPedro, pelea de gallos is second only to baseball here. We need to get you to attend a few rounds
It used to be the national sport before baseball was introduced by the Americans in 1916 - 1924. Cockfighting was brought by the Spanish in the 16 century.

Old wisdom is to not leave two cocks nearby, because they will fight each other often to the death. Of course, a person would have to be near roosters to know that they fight each others for no reason (well, maybe its an alfa male thing within the rooster world).

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This is news to me. I had just assumed that chicken fighting was always illegal, as in the USA. Another day, another piece of info!
Cockfighting has been around for centuries. The US government recently attempted to make cockfighting illegal in Puerto Rico, but the governmentof Puerto Rico got around it to protect a tradition. In essence, San Juan told Washington thanks but no thanks when it comes to cockfighting.

This was in 2019 when Washington tried to make cockfighting illegal in PR.

This is when the governor of PR Wanda Vásquez made cockfighting legal again in PR, basically undoing what was done by Washington. According to her, by signing that legislation into law she is basically protecting a centuries old tradition in PR.

There is a cokfight ring near the main airport in San Juan. Cockfighting tournaments in PR and DR usually have Dominicans that go to PR and Puerto Ricans to the DR with their roosters to take part in the competitions.

Last edited:

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I'm not sure why anyone gives a rats ass what the Americans think about cock fighting. It is part of the Dominican culture. If you don't like it, don't go.

I would love to see the people against cock fighting watch a bull fight and then go on to tell the Mexicans you can't do this because it's cruel to animals. Of course both are cruel and if I get to be king of the world they would be outlawed. But seeing as I am not the boss here, and have no desire to change the way of life here, I will choose not to participate in these activities.

If I feel the need to change the culture here I will just go back to where I came from. It was my choice to come to the DR and accept their way of life. Keep one thing in mind, none of us expats where invited here, they got by before we came and they will do just fine when we are gone.

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
If I feel the need to change the culture here I will just go back to where I came from. It was my choice to come to the DR and accept their way of life. Keep one thing in mind, none of us expats where invited here, they got by before we came and they will do just fine when we are gone.

There it is ! Our Dominican neighbor and his politico friends are into pelea de gallos ...big time . Mi esposa hates it with a passion... vecino’s wife is not a huge fan either....but life goes on ....

“Live and let live “ has worked very well here .The rule is “ Whatever you do in your own time...and at your own expense .....is your business. “

For sports , we stick to ...Dominican soccer ⚽️.....it’s what we know...season starts tomorrow... vamos O&M !!⚽️🏆🏆

Reactions: Ken

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I'm not sure why anyone gives a rats ass what the Americans think about cock fighting. It is part of the Dominican culture. If you don't like it, don't go.

I would love to see the people against cock fighting watch a bull fight and then go on to tell the Mexicans you can't do this because it's cruel to animals. Of course both are cruel and if I get to be king of the world they would be outlawed. But seeing as I am not the boss here, and have no desire to change the way of life here, I will choose not to participate in these activities.

nicely said. I have been a connoisseur of the cockfights for decades. With all that is going on in the world it is hard to believe that people get all twisted out of shape about the cockfights. Its adult entertainment that does good business. I find MMA more brutal and no one gets to eat the loser

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Cockfighting has been around for centuries. The US government recently attempted to make cockfighting illegal in Puerto Rico, but the governmentof Puerto Rico got around it to protect a tradition. In essence, San Juan told Washington thanks but no thanks when it comes to cockfighting.

This was in 2019 when Washington tried to make cockfighting illegal in PR.

This is when the governor of PR Wanda Vásquez made cockfighting legal again in PR, basically undoing what was done by Washington. According to her, by signing that legislation into law she is basically protecting a centuries old tradition in PR.

There is a cokfight ring near the main airport in San Juan. Cockfighting tournaments in PR and DR usually have Dominicans that go to PR and Puerto Ricans to the DR with their roosters to take part in the competitions.
I used to be a regular there years ago. Its right across the street from the Ritz Carlton. One of the best rings and venues in the Caribbean.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
nicely said. I have been a connoisseur of the cockfights for decades. With all that is going on in the world it is hard to believe that people get all twisted out of shape about the cockfights. Its adult entertainment that does good business. I find MMA more brutal and no one gets to eat the loser
No one gets to eat the loser. That's hilarious. The only bullfight I went to was in Mexico years ago. We asked what happens to the dead bulls. We were told the meat was sent to hospitals and orphanages and to other causes. Whether it's true or not I don't really care but it did make us feel better at the time.

We almost got the crap kicked out us too, as a whole group of us where cheering for the bull. It would have been 10 against a couple thousand so we decided to shut the hell up. It was a very unique experience.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Bullfighting still takes place in the DR. Another sport brought by the Spanish. Today it's limited to the El Seibo area (they even have a monument of a bull attacking the red cape of the torero), but originally it was practiced everywhere such as Santo Domingo, Santiago, Puerto Plata; etc. The bull isn't killed anymore, but rather manaced as is done in several countries in Central America such as Honduras or Nicaragua. In México, Colombia, Perú and a few other Latin American countries plus Spain the bull is killed if he doesn't injures the torero. Bullfighting used to take place in Puerto Rico and Cuba, but the Americans put an end to that. As far as I know, El Seibo is the only place in the Caribbean where bullfighting is still done.

This is an example of current bullfighting in Nicaragua (similar to what is still practiced in El Seibo).

This is the more traditional bullfighting in Colombia (this one in Bogotá and is only part of the event, no killing in the video).

This one is in Perú (no killing in the video).

Bullfighting school in Spain (not for the squeemish, but no killing im the video). The torero here is a teenage girl.

Some may not agree, but I think the El Seibo bullfighting type where the animal isn't killed or hurt should once again become a national sport with colosseums built at least in some major cities like Santo Domingo and Santiago.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
illegal here never, just like most everything here...if someone can make money on it, you can do it...........

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

I would love to see the people against cock fighting watch a bull fight and then go on to tell the Mexicans you can't do this because it's cruel to animals. Of course both are cruel and if get to be king of the world they would be outlawed. But seeing as I am not the boss here, and have no desire to change the way of life here, I will choose not to participate in these activities.

When I was young and much dumber I used to ride bulls in junior rodeos, and a few other rodeos. Now PETA ...etc say its cruel. Cruel is getting gored by or stepped on one of those bulls.