Cockroaches!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
When one lays down with fleas, you know the saying.. Much has to do with where one decides to "become an expat"... When one lives in a Barrio, you get Barrio results... I've never understood why the majority of expats on DR1 just didn't move to Compton in California or Crenshaw Street in Detroit... I mean Ghetto is Ghetto.... I guess it was the Sunshine... But living in a Barrio with all that dust and dirty pavement and not to mention the DOMS... sheesh..

BS. most of expats here do not live in barrios. big roaches fly so every house gets them.

Aug 6, 2006
Here in Miami,I used to have a hard time with "Palmetto Bugs", which is what Realtors? call the giant flying roaches that infest the Sunshine State. Every morning I would find them zipping around my sink, and at night I could flip on the lights and see a major Midnight Surprise. Then I bought some Echols Boric Acid tablets, which claim to be 40% Boric Acid, $1.29 for 4 oz. and now I rarely see any sort of roach. Before that I tried the Boric Acid powder (somewhat useful), Chinese Boric acid chalk (somewhat less useful that the previous) and various kinds of aerosol sprays (expensive, stinky and seemed only to make the roaches disoriented and less shy).

I also occasionally saw some common German cockroaches, the sort known as esquilines in Mexico, but I have seen nary a one since I scattered tablets about.

Boric Acid is said to be effective because of a fatal flaw in cucaracha physiology: they cannot fart. The Boric acid gives them gas, and, unable to expel the gas, it simply blows up inside them and they die a flatulent death. A day or two after scattering the Boric Acid tablets, you will see them legs pointing toward Heaven on the floor, occasionally slowly moving their appendages. If you step on one, they make a popping sound like a teenager playing with bubble wrap.I consider roaches one of God's more unwise ideas, but at least He made them mostly mute and ugly as sin, so we will not feel so bad about murdering them. I am truly grateful that they do not resemble teensy Panda bears, unicorns or sea otters.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Gonna try the boric acid trip, mixing it with flour and sugar and a bit of cocoa for good measure. Some good tips, thanx peeps!

Like the idea of exploding roaches!

They have become a real nuisance in the house, especially the kitchen. Last week we emptied every cupboard and cleaned with plenty of bleach. But they still come back.

The kitchen radio stopped working, so I took it apart. There was a cockroach NEST inside it! Luckily I was able to clean it up and wash the circuit board with WD40 and it's working again.

Today I decided I would make some coffee. Took out the coffee maker from the cupboard. It hadn't been used for a while....and three roaches ran out of it! Yuck!

We try to keep the house as clean as we can, but it makes you wonder how high your hygiene standards have to be to eradicate roaches, because the house is usually spotless.

Aug 6, 2006
I recall that in the film Papillion, Steve McQueen as the title character, is shown eating a roach. Or perhaps it was some roachlike bug.

My cat killed and ate them too.

Roaches like the smell of coffeegrounds. I went on a trip for three weeks and when I returned, I found a bunch of them drowned in my French press. Yechhh! I soaked it in clorox for one day and vinegar for another.

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
We seem to have an infestation of them. No matter how many we kill, how much we spray, how much we clean, they keep coming back.

Any tips?

We live in a natural area and have had all the years lots of cockroaches.

Since we use a powder,

"Beni Bio Scrab and Hogar"

we are nearby free of cockroaches.

I place the powder there, where the doggies cannot reach it, but guess it is not danger, they write:
"....no dana su salud, ni el medio ambiente sin exterminador de plagas, de f?cil aplicaci?n.
Should not be reachable for children."

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Gonna try the boric acid trip, mixing it with flour and sugar and a bit of cocoa for good measure. Some good tips, thanx peeps!

Like the idea of exploding roaches!

They have become a real nuisance in the house, especially the kitchen. Last week we emptied every cupboard and cleaned with plenty of bleach. But they still come back.

The kitchen radio stopped working, so I took it apart. There was a cockroach NEST inside it! Luckily I was able to clean it up and wash the circuit board with WD40 and it's working again.

Today I decided I would make some coffee. Took out the coffee maker from the cupboard. It hadn't been used for a while....and three roaches ran out of it! Yuck!

We try to keep the house as clean as we can, but it makes you wonder how high your hygiene standards have to be to eradicate roaches, because the house is usually spotless.

What is their access into the kitchen. You've probably got some crevasses or areas around pipes...etc where they can get in. The French chalk that they sell on the street works very well. Seal all your cracks and holes and put a sweep on the doors and I bet your problem goes away or a least can be controlled.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
When one lays down with fleas, you know the saying.. Much has to do with where one decides to "become an expat"... When one lives in a Barrio, you get Barrio results... I've never understood why the majority of expats on DR1 just didn't move to Compton in California or Crenshaw Street in Detroit... I mean Ghetto is Ghetto.... I guess it was the Sunshine... But living in a Barrio with all that dust and dirty pavement and not to mention the DOMS... sheesh..

What a silly reply.

You are evidently not too familiar with a tropical environment or the with the propagation of pests.
Roaches are amongst the the most successful species on the planet and do not reflect the level of hygiene of a particular environment.
If you live in the tropics and you think you don't have roaches, it just means you haven't seen them.

Once an infestation occurs, it's important to find the source, be it roaches or wasps, for example, then to eliminate that source and attempt to prevent further infestation by removing those factors which attract the insect.
Most species or cockroach are flight able and can infest from many metres away and may breed unseen in septic tanks,nooks and crannies or soakaways for years. And yes, they can come in via the toilet or plug hole. Often the sink or bath overflow hole is a good conduit.

The important thing that I discovered in Africa, is to continue the purging process after the initial onslaught, Baygon is still the best in my opinion, and to continue on two weeks later when the egg sacs hatch.
I found that 'home remedies' don't work and one must make recourse to chemical pesticides.

Clear out all cupboards and drawers, open all kitchen access, pull out the cooker and dishwasher,( an excellent home for the bugs!), fridge and other stuff then blast away with cans of Baygon Verde. Then 10 days later, do it again then five days later, do it again.

Wear a mask!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
if you have an infestation, it probably means that you have a queen and a nest somewhere in the house.. this is the problem.. the Borax is a the old time solution.. I have also heard that there is a powder that it is made in Cuba that makes them sterile.. could not find anything on the web on it.. but check in the supermarket for it.

also be sure to check the pages of your books for small brown dots.. which are eggs..

As a native new yorker.. I sympathize with you.. my Mom had them in her apartment and it was a constant battle.. one apartment would fumigate and they would move over to the next one.. and this was no Ghetto!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I believe that ALL female roaches can reproduce???
If you have a "Queen" in your house, that's cool too!
You can share accesories.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ps, your "Brown Spots" theory also is wrong!
Roaches have an "Egg Case".

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
well, CCC.. you are right.. I did some more searching.. But once I uncovered .. on the top of the fridge *Mom was too short to reach and the maid was really not a very good cleaner) .. what I thought was a "nest" with one roach at the center that was HUGE in comparison to the others and, in my memory, White.. so I just made that leap... anyway.. the entire memory gives me chiills. SSomehow, the Caribbean cockroaches are bigger and command more respect.. but I have never had an infestation here like I have seen in NYC.

(and maybe those were just droppings or larvae cases inside the cook books.. yeuk.. I threw them out)

It was a Helmsley apartment building where Mom lived and Leona Helmsley kept running these ads for her luxury hotel "where the Queen Reigns" and my Mom kept sending postcards to management about the roaches that the Queen kept in her apartment on 14th and Fifth. Gave my Mom some satisfaction.

I once had a roach in Rhode Island and had the entire house tented and sprayed.

Here in SD, I have only had a couple.. and they are so slow that I can catch them and stomp on them. Excpt of course, they can fly.

In South Carolina.. they call them "palmetto bugs" as if giving them a really nice name is going to make them oh so much sweeter...

a roach is a roach is a roach

unless, of course, you are inhaling.

Anyway.. here is another take on getting rid of them In the Land of Roaches | Women Who Live On Rocks

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
After trying different stuff and spending a lot of money I did manage to get rid of ants and cockroaches completely in the house and all around. None re-appeared in the last year since treated.

The magic stuff called Fipronil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Safe for humans and animals. Frontline brand uses it to make treatments against fleas and ticks as 0.02 % solution.

The only mentioned thread about this stuff was just a few days ago here -
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/140274-flying-dr-dog-onboard.html#post1369041

Mine I bought here -
Amazon.com: Taurus SC with 9.1 % Fipronil (Termidor SC Has 9.1 Fipronil)-78 Oz: Patio, Lawn & Garden
and shipped it via Vimenpaq.

The amount of that bottle is enough to treat dozens of properties. Shared it with friends - everyone is very happy.

Takes 1-2 days to start working, then up to 1 week to eleminate the hidden colonies.

Good against termites as well.

ramy

Dec 16, 2007
Friends of mine had their home for seven months closed (windows always open every day put on the fresh air, which we did) they did laurel leaves in the cabinets and kitchen cabinets on the ground, lay down, and believe it or not, after 7 months, there was not a cockroach into the house.
Normally get the cockroaches even through closed doors.
This is one tip I can give further and all but it helps.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
We tried many things to get rid of them, the toxic sprays, beer in a bucket that is oiled on the side so they can't get out b/c they are so drunk, eucalyptus oils put around the house in little dishes b/c they hate the smell of Eucalyptus, cedar, rosemary.

We also put coffee grounds in some areas b/c they don't like the smell of that either. .

The roaches were probably eating the coffee grounds, using the rosemary to flavor them, then rubbing their little bodies with the eucalyptus as cologne, going out for a wild night of drinking the beer in the bucket, getting drunk and dancing Bachata all night. I doubt if the oil on the bucket slowed the party down one bit. LOL

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Sprinkle or ?puff" Boric Acid lightly in all unseen areas, especially under drawers, beneath cabinets, under shelf paper, anywhere it will stay dry.

Eggs that hatch after 6 to 8 weeks also get taken care of since the little fellows take it back to their nests on the hair of their legs. Then they explode when they groom each other!

Use these cookies for killing roaches
3 tbspns Boric Acid powder
1 tbspn flour
1 tbspn sugar
Mix to a paste with milk, form into cockroach-sized cookies, and sun dry on paper.
Feeds thousands when placed out of sight.
Health nuts can use whole wheat flour.

Mixed with honey, boric acid also takes care of ants who carry it as a present to the Queen.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
for those of you relying on our four legged friends (cats or dogs) to kill the roaches, make sure you regularly give your cat or dog a worm treatment. Roaches can carry the eggs for tape worms, and the dog or cat that eats them will end up with tapeworms, and will then be spreading tape worms through the house.