Codetel DSL problems

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I am still seeing internet problems here in Santiago. MrMike reported the same to me yesterday. (I am using OpenDNS).

What happened to our list of questions for Codetel? Are we going to get answers?

Adrian

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I am still seeing internet problems here in Santiago. MrMike reported the same to me yesterday. (I am using OpenDNS).

What happened to our list of questions for Codetel? Are we going to get answers?

Adrian
Seemed better for awhile, but the last couple of days have been horrible again.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Codetel has published an apology to its dial-up, flash and dedicated internet clients in today's press. They say that the problems experienced "over the last few days" are the result of "an extraordinary increase in internet traffic", and say that that increase was caused by a computer virus.

Is this total BS or at the very least a bit rich coming from one of the worst spam enablers?

Ref: Diario Libre page 8, just under the UNDP clientilism story.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Ok, it seems it is my turn now...

After reading you guys whinning about your slow connection and your really slow DR1, while everything was fast at my place, it seems the Good Lord wants me to get back on Planet Earth...

DR1 is slow as a dog. I have to reload, stop, re-reload, just to get to another page, not to mention when I post, and it it much worst when I quote (too bad, I love quoting...)

I have not (yet) been experimenting any other slow websites. Other people using my connection say Hotmail is sometimes slow, sometimes it behaves like DR1...

As you know I use OpenDNS, I am on Linux (so I can't get any viruses...)...

As of Hotmail, it might be due to its overuse by locals... As of DR1... I don't know..

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Ok, it seems it is my turn now...

After reading you guys whinning about your slow connection and your really slow DR1, while everything was fast at my place, it seems the Good Lord wants me to get back on Planet Earth...

DR1 is slow as a dog. I have to reload, stop, re-reload, just to get to another page, not to mention when I post, and it it much worst when I quote (too bad, I love quoting...)

I have not (yet) been experimenting any other slow websites. Other people using my connection say Hotmail is sometimes slow, sometimes it behaves like DR1...

As you know I use OpenDNS, I am on Linux (so I can't get any viruses...)...

As of Hotmail, it might be due to its overuse by locals... As of DR1... I don't know..
Welcome to our world.;)

WMT

Oct 29, 2007
I'm glad that I am not the only one with problems. I have been fighting with them for months over this. What I have noticed here is that the service goes out to lunch whenever there is a power outage in our area. The service can be anywhere from unaffected (rare) to non-existant (the norm). If I reboot my modem it sometimes comes back to about half my paid subscription speed or less. It works for E-mail only, but will not surf about half the pages I request. They keep telling me it is my inverter, but when there is power and I run things exclusively from my inverter there is no problem. I've ordered a Cysco Systems router to replace the Speedstream that I have in case this helps, because in our area, Codetel is the only game in town. I'm on Flash, 384kb, in Cangrejo (near Montellano).

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I'm glad that I am not the only one with problems. I have been fighting with them for months over this. What I have noticed here is that the service goes out to lunch whenever there is a power outage in our area. The service can be anywhere from unaffected (rare) to non-existant (the norm). If I reboot my modem it sometimes comes back to about half my paid subscription speed or less. It works for E-mail only, but will not surf about half the pages I request. They keep telling me it is my inverter, but when there is power and I run things exclusively from my inverter there is no problem. I've ordered a Cysco Systems router to replace the Speedstream that I have in case this helps, because in our area, Codetel is the only game in town. I'm on Flash, 384kb, in Cangrejo (near Montellano).
Not that I'm an expert, but I highly doubt that changing the router could help.
BTW: Welcome to the Jodetel haters club.

WMT

Oct 29, 2007
P.S. The pages I can surf when there are problems depend on the zone. I work on US servers that are controlled from Bali. These disappear. (figures) But I can Google. I switched to OpenDNS. No difference.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
P.S. The pages I can surf when there are problems depend on the zone. I work on US servers that are controlled from Bali. These disappear. (figures) But I can Google. I switched to OpenDNS. No difference.
We've been experiencing these problems for approx. 4 months now, and complaining to Jodetel is wasted breath.
Apparently their top technicians forgot to bring some vital tools to repair the problem, like their cerebrums.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Same here, I noticed quite a few technicians in Codetel trucks on the street last week checking lines, climbing poles, jiggling wires, squinting at connections with scientific looks on their faces and measuring stuff with their little Star Trek tri-corders, things seemed to improve right away after that.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
When I called Jodetel a couple of weeks back I think they said they were upgrading their equipment, nonetheless the service is better now so maybe they were telling the truth.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
When I called Jodetel a couple of weeks back I think they said they were upgrading their equipment, nonetheless the service is better now so maybe they were telling the truth.
Don't count on it.
You know how it comes and goes, and you guys might just be lucky right now.
Ours in Sosua sux dead seagull farts right now.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Just did a test of my basic Codetel DSL service using Speakeasy and server in Atlanta for the connection:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 872 kbps (109 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 106 kbps (13.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

These rates have been the norm for the past month.
I can do speed tests here with great results, yet still have problems opening certain pages/URLs.
This has been going on for months.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Guys, just a quick word to tell you I upgraded from "Plan basico 2" to "Plan avazado 1".
Basically, for 290 pesos extra monthly, I have an upload of 512 instead of 128...

So far, so good... Here are the links for both plan:
Plan basico 2: Codetel
Plan avanzado 1: Codetel

By the way, I am not having anymore issues with DR1 those days... Hope it stays that way...

Better upload speed makes a difference when using a webcam while skyping...