Cold Showers

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
I have not adjusted to cold showers - and do not think I will. Well, I still travel back to the US for work so I am not forced to have to fully adjust.
But it is surprising how cold the water can be - I thought it would be warmer out of the tinaco. It must be the cistern that keeps it cold, before it is pumped up to the tinaco. But I still find myself taking a very quick shower when only having cold water. I only have a small hot water heater, so if someone uses the hot water before me, then I get stuck with a cold shower :-( Oh well.

YESSSSSSSSSS

Amazing how island water feels like it came from the North Pole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Sounds like the hot water heater......cold showers and me don;t get along either unless its a hot day, then fine no problem...morning?? Ha! I fill a 2.5 coke bottle with water, in the microwave it goes, dump that puppy into a bucket and i'm taking my hoe bath, works fine and even can wash the hair...however, conditioner is an issue,back to cold water for the rinse.. ;)

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
Sounds like the hot water heater......cold showers and me don;t get along either unless its a hot day, then fine no problem...morning?? Ha! I fill a 2.5 coke bottle with water, in the microwave it goes, dump that puppy into a bucket and i'm taking my hoe bath, works fine and even can wash the hair...however, conditioner is an issue,back to cold water for the rinse.. ;)

Taking hoe baths now? Did they teach you about the hair conditioner too?

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006

I've been in enough bathrooms where nothing works without a plastic one gallon paint can.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Unlike some places I have lived here in the DR this house is a "real house" with internal walls and plumbing inside those walls. The tinaco sits on the roof and the plumbing goes inside a wall down to the electric water heater, where the 3/4 PVC comes out of the wall into it. Then the hot water goes back up to the "Attic" and over to the bathroom which is a run of 18 ft or so. Then down inside that wall to the shower head, unless it is all buried in the concrete floor. I don't see anything i could change to a bigger size. ANy ideas? Thanks
Der Fish

It sounds like including the height of the water in the tinaco you've only got ten feet of water column above the shower head. That will only give you five PSI unrestricted, and according to ctrobs table the 40 feet or so of 3/4" pipe will cut, whatever flow that provides, by between three or four. Which explains your problem. A few years ago I bought a little pump they called a ladron, at Plaza Lama for $1K DOP, and hooked it up to the tinaco. I used a GFCI circuit to run it. I ran a float switch, which I bought at Ferreteria Americana, through the window and hung it on the shower head to turn it on and off.

I had it connected to the plumbing in parallel with a check valve.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I probably used more electicity to heat up 2.5 liters of water in a micro wave, than in a water heater.
"Jumbobo is an author, he wrote "The Yellow River", by ""Jumbobo P. Freely"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
for low pressure due to using a tinaco, use a flow pump, inexpensive, about RD$3,000.00, last seen one at Almacenes Unidos.

all automatico, draw back, well it needs electricity.....very low consumption, like 100 watts.

3 years now with an evacuated tube solar hot water heater from mega-sol, no more propane to buy and NEVER have
taken a bath without hot water, even with 3 or 4 days of clouds and we are 5 sometime 6 persons living in the house.

g'luck

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Growing up in South Bronx when younger, I got used to cold showers when it was 10 degrees outside and no heat inside. :(

Had to take that morning shower daily. It was hold my breath and in. This happened for a few minutes. brrrrrrrrrrr

TP666

Sep 6, 2005
Get a tech@takagi-usa.com system - have used it for 12 years now and only once a problem which I fixed due to crappy lights.
And it has paid for itself many times over. All stainless steel