Colombians living in the DR

BIZC8

Dec 21, 2006
Hello all,

My wife's Colombian. Needless to say, I'm Dominican. One of the things we are planning about is for our retirement. I'm naturally inclined to move back to the DR and as the great woman that she is, she's willing to go wherever I go. God is good. She's the crown of the king writing this post. Without a crown, there's no king.

Anyways, just as we have a place for DR1'ers to go and find/post information, she'd like to know if there's something similar to DR1 for the ex-pat Colombian community residing in the DR that she can go and find/post information about what it's like to live in the DR as a Colombian. She's paisa by the way.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I've met several Colombians living and working in Santo Domingo and they have a large and active network. Don't know about anything online, although she could try finding or even forming a group on Facebook.

BIZC8

Dec 21, 2006
Re: Colombians Living in DR

I've met several Colombians living and working in Santo Domingo and they have a large and active network. Don't know about anything online, although she could try finding or even forming a group on Facebook.

Thanks for the feedback Chirimoya. Is it possible for you to obtain some further information on this "active network" you refer to so I can fwd it to my wife?

Thanks.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
OK. If you send me an e-mail address (via PM) for her I could pass it on to a couple of Colombians I know in SD, for them to contact her.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The DR has the largest Colombian immigrant community in all of Central America - Caribbean region, so if there is a country where a Colombian will find a lively community of paisanos, it would be the DR. Especially in SDQ.

You might find the following links useful.

Asociasiones de colombianos en Rep?blica Dominicana

Embajada de Colombia en Rep?blica Dominicana

Be forewarned that due to heavy illegal immigration from Colombia, in 2005 (more or less that year) the Dominican government imposed a visa requirements for any Colombian citizen wishing to enter to the DR. Last year (2008, I'm already in 2009 thinking mode), that rule was modified because it was hurting Colombian tourists to the DR, so a Colombian can now enter the DR with only a tourist visa for touristic purposes if and only if they have visas to the U.S., Canada, or the Eurozone. However, if any Colombian wishes to visit the DR and doesn't have a visa to any of those place or if the Colombian wishes to move to the DR, he/she will need to apply for a visa.

This might not apply to her if she has dual citizenship with the U.S. or, if a legal resident of the U.S., doesn't plan to loose her residency status. But, just check to avoid any unwanted surprises.

Good Luck!

-NALs

BIZC8

Dec 21, 2006
Re: Colombians Living in DR

The DR has the largest Colombian immigrant community in all of Central America - Caribbean region, so if there is a country where a Colombian will find a lively community of paisanos, it would be the DR. Especially in SDQ.

You might find the following links useful.

Asociasiones de colombianos en Rep?blica Dominicana

Embajada de Colombia en Rep?blica Dominicana

Be forewarned that due to heavy illegal immigration from Colombia, in 2005 (more or less that year) the Dominican government imposed a visa requirements for any Colombian citizen wishing to enter to the DR. Last year (2008, I'm already in 2009 thinking mode), that rule was modified because it was hurting Colombian tourists to the DR, so a Colombian can now enter the DR with only a tourist visa for touristic purposes if and only if they have visas to the U.S., Canada, or the Eurozone. However, if any Colombian wishes to visit the DR and doesn't have a visa to any of those place or if the Colombian wishes to move to the DR, he/she will need to apply for a visa.

This might not apply to her if she has dual citizenship with the U.S. or, if a legal resident of the U.S., doesn't plan to loose her residency status. But, just check to avoid any unwanted surprises.

Good Luck!

-NALs

NALs,

Great information you've posted here. Thank you for the precision and thoroughness. My next question was sort of partially addressed by your comment. My wife is NOT a dual citizen. She has a US permanent resident alien card. Now, being married to a US/Dominican citizen as I am, would she need a tourist visa to enter the DR (and subsequently apply for permanent residence)?

Thanks in advance.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
NALs,

Great information you've posted here. Thank you for the precision and thoroughness. My next question was sort of partially addressed by your comment. My wife is NOT a dual citizen. She has a US permanent resident alien card. Now, being married to a US/Dominican citizen as I am, would she need a tourist visa to enter the DR (and subsequently apply for permanent residence)?

Thanks in advance.

If she has a US permanent resident (alien card), she just need to buy a tourist card for $10.00 when she arrive at the airport in the DR.

If she is planning to move to the DR with you, why doesn't she become a U.S. citizen before you move to the DR? like that she won't have to be traveling the to U.S. every six months to keep her permanent Resindent statute.

Once you settler in the DR you can apply for her Dominican Citizenship, as you are a Dominican citizen, by law she can become a Dominican citizenship thru you.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
If she has a US permanent resident (alien card), she just need to buy a tourist card for $10.00 when she arrive at the airport in the DR.

If she is planning to move to the DR with you, why doesn't she become a U.S. citizen before you move to the DR? like that she won't have to be traveling the to U.S. every six months to keep her permanent Resindent statute.

Once you settler in the DR you can apply for her Dominican Citizenship, as you are a Dominican citizen, by law she can become a Dominican citizenship thru you.

I was about to ask the same thing, she may even lose her residency if she keeps traveling and staying here in a long basis.