Colourful clapboard houses.

mezclado

Nov 1, 2008
Hi, I want people to tell me about those colourful clapboard houses.

How much do they go for ?

Do they usually have title for the land ?

p.s.
If you know of someone selling a cheap house with title you can send me a private message.

mezclado

Nov 1, 2008
Well i guess nobody has any information about these for me.

I guess Gringos aren't into these things.

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
Are you referring to the this type of clapboard house?

Be very careful of cheap houses even if there is "govt. papers"

Probably been "sold" ten times already for 10,000

**Serious Emails Only*** Punta Rucia, Dominican Republic
Looking to Sell Fast
Perfect for Weekend Beachouse or could be used for Commerical Purposes.
Located in the middle of the city on the beach.
I have owned the beachhouse for 8 Years. Have survey and govt. papers.
Great Deal Only $10,000

FIRE SALE...Beachhouse Only $10k

Reactions: MikeFisher

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Hi, I want people to tell me about those colourful clapboard houses.

How much do they go for ?

Do they usually have title for the land ?

p.s.
If you know of someone selling a cheap house with title you can send me a private message.

You must be talking about those houses made of palm trees. I had a big one in my property in the campo not with a cana roof though. On one side(2 doors and 1 window) it used to be a le?a kitchen with fregadero and water but it has never been used as a le?a kitchen though. My husband used it as a workshop specially because of the big counter. The other side(1 door and 1 window), we used it as a garden shed...

The house was not made of cana though, thanks God. Who wants to live in a palm house anymore ??? they are nice but...

abe

Jan 2, 2002
I have always loved the pastel colored wooden houses in the DR, but think that the pure security question alone would preclude owning one. I dreamed about having a compound with a masonry house and a couple of those as "Guest Houses", etc. but it's not going to happen.

But some Gringoes are into them, yes.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i have one at the entrance of the family-finca in Bayaguana,
2 rooms, zinn roof, rest is wood, kittchen and 2 sleeping areas, nice big one tarea garden with BBQ corner under a huge Canaroof.
located right on the sandy mainroad which connects the entrances of the different fincas there to each others. around 5 kilometers from town. i purchased it years ago for around $800.- with it's title, don't remember what we paid to pass the title over, been peanuts and hassle free. it was ready to move in and connected to electricity and to the finca's generator(many blackouts in the area as usual). we use it for weekend visits within the whole huge family. sure it's not for sale. the refurbishment been minor stuff like painting and setting up the BBQ area with the Cana roof, such is done there for a few hundred bucks. but for a newby to the country to live there permanently? did you live under similar circumstances before/now? water get's pumped up to a tinaco from our own well, toilet and shower are outside in a separate small house.
have fun
Mike

mezclado

Nov 1, 2008
Are you referring to the this type of clapboard house?

Be very careful of cheap houses even if there is "govt. papers"

Probably been "sold" ten times already for 10,000

**Serious Emails Only*** Punta Rucia, Dominican Republic
Looking to Sell Fast
Perfect for Weekend Beachouse or could be used for Commerical Purposes.
Located in the middle of the city on the beach.
I have owned the beachhouse for 8 Years. Have survey and govt. papers.
Great Deal Only $10,000

Explain yourself !

What's wrong with it, did you contact him or personaly know he is a con ??

mezclado

Nov 1, 2008
Did you live under similar circumstances before/now?

I don't know if you were asking it like as a put-down or something, and i don't care.

I am 20 years old and would love to own what you are describing and willing to pay 5 times the amount you paid for it.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
not written as a putdown or such BS.
i don't waste my time for such.
it has been a serious question because in my 14 years living on the Isle i saw hundreds of people moving over, happy for the first weeks partying around and living in their wooden rental room up in Veron for 1000 pesos a month, the 2nd month most did not look that happy anymore, afterwards most been gone fast, disappeared. what i meant is that this lifestyle in a area where you have nothing around than yourself with only basic alimentation available around is sure not for everybody. and it would only be for somebody who can efford to live without a job/making money for a living, because to get a job in the area i described is nearly impossible, and the few available jobs would really not produce more than the very basics of living.
Mike

mezclado

Nov 1, 2008
1). I'll cross the job dilema later.
In the very least owning what you described above would entitle me for the provisional residency "ties to the country" part, since i have been unsuccesful till now in opening a local bank account, and the amount of money needed to invest in the savings account to qualify you as having "ties to the country" keeps on changing.

2). I was checking-out renting long term, and it seems the rent in the D-R is much higher than the home is worth, for example; if someone bought a $30,000 studio apartment he should be glad if he get's $300 a month for it, but not so in the gringos psychi who advertises to tourists, he expects at least double that amount for each month.

I think if i can buy a good clapboard house, i'll kill 2 birds with one stone (the provisional-residency and a roof over my head).

3). As for the job part... I was never pampered, i'll sell coconuts to tourists if i have to.

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
Explain yourself !

What's wrong with it, did you contact him or personaly know he is a con ??

No i havn't contacted him. It dosnt interest me. Feel free to if you are interested. $10,000 is pretty cheap for beach front property. You should jump on it. Good Luck!

mezclado

Nov 1, 2008
No i havn't contacted him. It dosnt interest me. Feel free to if you are interested. $10,000 is pretty cheap for beach front property. You should jump on it. Good Luck!
O.K. O.K. Don't get so mad.

Thanks for the info. Now see if you can find another clapboard house closer to Sosua or to Santo-Domingo.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
O.K. O.K. Don't get so mad.

Thanks for the info. Now see if you can find another clapboard house closer to Sosua or to Santo-Domingo.

I saw nothing angry in GeeDee's response at all. I did see an 'instruction' in yours i.e. 'Explain yourself'. If you had said 'Please explain this to me' that would have been differently received...it's all in the wording.

If you can hear what I'm saying, I would caution against buying a property which might have a dubious/non-existent title. You could be embarking on a path which you think will save you a little bit of money by not using a lawyer for residency, only to find that you end up with neither residency or a property. Did you intend buying a property without using a lawyer as well?

I know you're young but putting yourself on a dubious property purchase path will age you prematurely :cheeky:. Think long & hard before you do this; you don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish, as the Brits say.

Yachtguy1

Sep 30, 2008
I agree

I looked at several properties last year along the north coast from Luperon to El Castillo, and over half of them advertised clear titles and in fact had NOTHING!!

Any decent lawyer can do a title check and verify (in writing) who the registered owner is, how long they have owned the property, if any money is owed, and MOST IMPORTANTLY,whether there is an easement claim against the property. Yes, even clear titled properties in the DR (if rural) can have an easement claim made by local beef farmers (I swear this is TRUE) who claim grazing rights, This is a COMMON scam, though you don't have to worry about this in a condo site or in a city. BUT IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR COUNTRY PROPERTY, there is no better investment than a diligent attorney!!! Be careful...TWICE!!!

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
and living in a clapbordhouse in a rural area will usually not bring too many tourist by your house to sell coconuts to, ha ha.
sure i agree,
before spending 10+K$$ for a property which you may not like anymore after a short while i would spend 1500 bucks on a good lawyer who signs you all needed papers for the residency.
to do it on your own including the extra travels aso costed on several people i know here 700-1000 US and for some it had not been very hassle free, often due to the missing of skills on the spanish language, and sometimes they wait a very long time before it is done. would've been easier if they had contracted a lawyer, faster and sure process of the case, hassle free and just a few more bucks to spend on. and you travel to st dgo only twice, once to sign the papers with your lawyer and get the medic checks done, second time to pick up cedula and residency card.
Mike