Come to the DR and get away From Covid19 and Protesters burning the cities down

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
It really saddens me, they started out well in March but opening everything backfired. We left, fearing exactly what’s happening, and I had convinced myself that we overreacted. My first clue that something had changed was when my BIL was turned away from three private clinics in Santo Domingo weeks ago, when there was nothing in the news. Now I’m glad we’re not there. I hope you, and everyone else, stays safe.
Its sad to see politics play with peoples lives :(

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Yes it is sad ... 1% of the population will die from Covid, .. there is no way around it .
stay safe.

Sep 22, 2009
Yes it is sad ... 1% of the population will die from Covid, .. there is no way around it .
stay safe.
Are there numbers as to how many more people are dying on average than before? Is the death rate in the country in general the same as it was before covid I have not seen these statistics

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Are there numbers as to how many more people are dying on average than before? Is the death rate in the country in general the same as it was before covid I have not seen these statistics
not sure. no one seems to have accurate death rate stats .
A direct comparison from year to year would be a good start .
but if its anything like the USA, they will just list deaths as Covid, even if the person is 95 with underlying conditions without even doing a Test to confirm.
because why waste a test , right? easier to just assume .

Positive for covid test stats are meaningless. especially in a country like the DR.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Think about BLM matters to many people and doesn't matter very much to you since it's today's current fashion "statement".
:)
Unfortunately this perverse garbage is widespread.
There are a few "YouTubers" traveling down here who
encourage "us" to frequent "black owned" businesses
in the DR, not because they offer quality products or
impeccable service but instead because of the systematic
"oppression" they have always had to deal with.

Anyone who travels down to the DR looking to spread
this divisive narrative amongst those of us who live/ work
in the DR should be put on a yola and sent a drift back
to where ever their oppressed asses came from.

• Haha
Reactions: Garyexpat
Sep 22, 2009
not sure. no one seems to have accurate death rate stats .
A direct comparison from year to year would be a good start .
but if its anything like the USA, they will just list deaths as Covid, even if the person is 95 with underlying conditions without even doing a Test to confirm.
because why waste a test , right? easier to just assume .

Positive for covid test stats are meaningless. especially in a country like the DR.
It's pretty simple to me are more people dying on average than before

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
"Come to the DR and get away From Covid-19 ? ? ?"

Interesting title, Johne. But let's be realistic here.

GET AWAY FROM COVID-19 ? ? ?

ARE YOU KIDDING ME ? ? ?

Not sure if anyone told you yet, but the Dominican Republic is the EPICENTER OF COVID-19 in the Caribbean, currently 64,156 total cases with an INCREASING amount of daily cases and daily deaths.

And since your little story specifically compares that "crap hole", as you so eloquently describe it, New York City to the Dominican Republic, perhaps a closer look is in order.

Interesting how you claim that you voice your "UNBIASED OPINION" yet in the very same line you write "I'm a big fan of the DR as you can imagine." and several lines above that you call NYC "A CRAP HOLE".

Unbiased? Really?

I digress.

About that rioting, looting, killing you mention. I've been back to NY twice since the Dominican Republic abruptly opened their airports, (we see how well that is working out) and haven't seen a riot, looting or killing yet. I did see a lot of stuff on TV, actually saw a lot of stuff on TV down here in Shangri-La also, including yesterdays little incident in the famous barrio Borojol, but for me in NY, just great food and great fishing, out on Long Island.

Funny thing you mention masks, I also saw quite a few people not wearing masks in New York, me included most of the time. But I did see where it was required, indoors and where social distancing wasn't possible, just about everybody I could see did have one on, me included. It is a little disconcerting how down here it is as you state "In the DR, no mask, lock them up." Not sure how many people really want to "get on a plane sooner than later" to arrive here with the chance of getting locked up in a third world jail for not wearing a mask.

One last thing before I get into the numbers, about that walking on the beach and chilling out. Right now the Dominican Republic is under curfew, which means by 7:00pm and 5:00pm on weekends its LOCKDOWN. If your out, you could again, end up in a third world jail cell during that "little vacation".

Apparently we both have our own perceptions of the current situation in both New York and the Dominican Republic, but there are some telling numbers that may make some of those in New York a little apprehensive about vacationing right now down here in Shangri-La.

In the last seven days the Dominican Republic had a total of 9,729 newly diagnosed cases of Covid-19 in a population of approximately ten million

In the last seven days New York had a total of 5,018 newly diagnosed cases of Covid-19 in a population of approximately TWENTY million.

NY had HALF as many cases in those same seven days as the DR, HALF, with almost double the population.

In those same seven days New York tested 462,587 people, the Dominican Republic tested 27,451.

The DR tested six percent of what New York tested, 6 PERCENT. A JOKE.

The DR infection rate for that period is 35%.

The NY infection rate for that period is 1%.

And last, but certainly not least. The hospitals in New York, which provide a level of health care that is not even remotely attainable by the overwhelming majority of Dominican hospitals and clinics are fully functioning and operating normally with normal occupancies, certainly not the case down here in Shangri-La.

So if someone does "get on a plane sooner than later", arrives here in the DR and finds themselves infected with Covid-19 during their "little vacation", needing serious attention and treatment requiring any type of hospitalization, your advice to "come early" while I'm sure is well intended, might not be particularly prudent.

Perhaps the "guy" you mentioned who owns property here that is not planning to return until 2022 is making a wise decision, time will tell.

I posted the article in the Listin Diario a few weeks ago where Public Health said 42% of "supposed" deaths here were "probably " from Covid plus a third were people with heart / blood pressure conditions and 20%+ with diabetes. Yes, I realize there are younger otherwise healthy (at least presumably healthy) who sadly die from this but that is also true of cancer, heart conditions etc.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
It's pretty simple to me are more people dying on average than before

You and jd426 are correct.
There are NOT more people dying on average than before, and this FACT is not just covered up by fuzzy math, but also fuzzy language on the part of the critical thinking lot.

Reactions: jd426

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
You and jd426 are correct.
There are NOT more people dying on average than before, and this FACT is not just covered up by fuzzy math, but also fuzzy language on the part of the critical thinking lot.
Either way we can’t live in a bubble in the DR. They seem to take this virus very seriously in many countries in the world. Countries like the US, Australia and European Union countries.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Caonabo
I find it amazing that I'm the only person in the entire RD who has had a bout with good 'ol fashioned gripe....since February.
Amazing.

Obviously my friend you are delirious from Covid....

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Caonabo
I find it amazing that I'm the only person in the entire RD who has had a bout with good 'ol fashioned gripe....since February.
Amazing.

Obviously my friend you are delirious from Covid....
Every one in my building had influenza 1st of Feb,
myself included. Same exact symptoms as the china virus.
100% agreed, no one seems to just get sick anymore.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Just wait. I think we're about to see some serious pushback by DR locals. Hunger and looming evictions does not make for a docile population. Even those with jobs are complaining about soring prices.

Bread and circus...

Sep 22, 2009
My kids and I had something back when the national emergency was first declared. I haven't had the flu ever. No chix pox either. I never had a flu shot. My family gets flu shots in the States and they are always sick. If I get sick it's from street food. I have shared in previous posts and conversations I have yet to see if more folks are dying than before. A mind numbingly simple question but I don't have access to that number. Do you

Reactions: Caonabo and jd426

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

Maybe, but I think you caught something from one of those old goats I have seen you with!

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I posted the article in the Listin Diario a few weeks ago where Public Health said 42% of "supposed" deaths here were "probably " from Covid plus a third were people with heart / blood pressure conditions and 20%+ with diabetes. Yes, I realize there are younger otherwise healthy (at least presumably healthy) who sadly die from this but that is also true of cancer, heart conditions etc.
All I can say my friend is ... what a bunch of crap you write. Bla, Bla, Bla, . Have a blessed day.

Reactions: CristoRey