Comedor $ VS cooking $ ?

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
That's why they cook the living daylights out of everything. Kills everything that will harm ya.
Wooahh Silver! Ok, they cook the living daylights out of meat because the majority doesn't know how to prepare it. Sear, braise etc. The cook times are excessive and the meat that remains would be inedible if not doused in the same sauce they use for everything. 165F kills all bacteria. I've had maids that cook red meat or pork for over an hour!! They cook literally everything blast furnace style. No way beans need to boil.on high for 30 minutes after they are already soft!. Blast furnace eggs in oil! I worked in restaurants through college and I cook avidly till today. I don't care where the meat comes from, you need to know how to select it. Then you need to understand seasoning, and fundamental cooking processes. I used to buy the pork from a carnicero in Las Galeras. He had this nasty bloody tree stump and part of a carcass hanging from a tree. Now, most Dominicans would say "dame 2 libra de cerdo". This guy will give you whatever the heck he wants to and hack it up with a rotted, rusted bloody machete. He would let me cut out my loin chops myself! I would slice off a gorgeous hunk and then he would want to hack it up. I said, no ill take the whole piece home like that. He said no one has ever done this lol. Now, I can get it home and prep it to be cooked properly. The same with the beef. Try asking for a a chuck cut (which is the "carne 7" in Spanish). They don't have it. They sell you hacked up leg which has zero fat. You need to buy beef or pork at places like pricesmart or an upscale meat joint in the city if you need a pork shoulder, or rib roast.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Do yourself a favor and forget Noah. Years ago when they opened I knew someone that worked there. He said some dishes are cooked and later heated up, and some much later. That is all I had to hear to avoid this place...................Stick to Punto Italia........
I am now . Punta Italia is very good

Reactions: SKY

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
Do yourself a favor and forget Noah. Years ago when they opened I knew someone that worked there. He said some dishes are cooked and later heated up, and some much later. That is all I had to hear to avoid this place...................Stick to Punto Italia........
I eat at Noah at least 3 times a month. Over the past 12 years I have yet to have a bad meal or even average. Always good food. On the other hand, the Chinese place was great the first time when they opened, and absolute crap the past 2 visits over the last 2 weeks. I went back the 2nd time just in case I got a rare bad order...it was the same all over again.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I eat at Noah at least 3 times a month. Over the past 12 years I have yet to have a bad meal or even average. Always good food. On the other hand, the Chinese place was great the first time when they opened, and absolute crap the past 2 visits over the last 2 weeks. I went back the 2nd time just in case I got a rare bad order...it was the same all over again.
Which Chinese restaurant?

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Wooahh Silver! Ok, they cook the living daylights out of meat because the majority doesn't know how to prepare it. Sear, braise etc. The cook times are excessive and the meat that remains would be inedible if not doused in the same sauce they use for everything. 165F kills all bacteria. I've had maids that cook red meat or pork for over an hour!! They cook literally everything blast furnace style. No way beans need to boil.on high for 30 minutes after they are already soft!. Blast furnace eggs in oil! I worked in restaurants through college and I cook avidly till today. I don't care where the meat comes from, you need to know how to select it. Then you need to understand seasoning, and fundamental cooking processes. I used to buy the pork from a carnicero in Las Galeras. He had this nasty bloody tree stump and part of a carcass hanging from a tree. Now, most Dominicans would say "dame 2 libra de cerdo". This guy will give you whatever the heck he wants to and hack it up with a rotted, rusted bloody machete. He would let me cut out my loin chops myself! I would slice off a gorgeous hunk and then he would want to hack it up. I said, no ill take the whole piece home like that. He said no one has ever done this lol. Now, I can get it home and prep it to be cooked properly. The same with the beef. Try asking for a a chuck cut (which is the "carne 7" in Spanish). They don't have it. They sell you hacked up leg which has zero fat. You need to buy beef or pork at places like pricesmart or an upscale meat joint in the city if you need a pork shoulder, or rib roast.
I was salivating while buying a whole rotisserie chicken in Samaná. Once the guy got done massacring it with his dirty machete, I was no longer hungry. I felt like asking, “what the hell did you do that for”?

• Haha
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Rey, please watch your comments. To be honest you are "recycling" threads. Many of the threads you are starting, you have already had previous threads about the same subject.

Reactions: chico bill and rey

rey

Jan 2, 2007
Rey, please watch your comments. To be honest you are "recycling" threads. Many of the threads you are starting, you have already had previous threads about the same subject.
NOT true …

Maybe this one in particular might be a little similar but NOT identical

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
NOT true …

KC didn’t say identical.

IMG_8069.jpeg

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I was salivating while buying a whole rotisserie chicken in Samaná. Once the guy got done massacring it with his dirty machete, I was no longer hungry. I felt like asking, “what the hell did you do that for”?
Be carefull with those rotisserie chickens. When in La Vega I had a friend who was in charge of a couple of granjas de pollos en El Santo Cero. Sometimes on saturdays I went to visit him on my Vespa drinking a beer or two and to see my horse.
I told him about the rotisserie chickens on La Rivas. He said hè collected every morning the dead chickens (seems to be normal, flu, heat), and twice a week those came to buy them, cheap of course.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Be carefull with those rotisserie chickens. When in La Vega I had a friend who was in charge of a couple of granjas de pollos en El Santo Cero. Sometimes on saturdays I went to visit him on my Vespa drinking a beer or two and to see my horse.
I told him about the rotisserie chickens on La Rivas. He said hè collected every morning the dead chickens (seems to be normal, flu, heat), and twice a week those came to buy them, cheap of course.
OUCH !!!

Reactions: rey

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
NOT true …

Rey most of them have the same subject matter, Torres, safety, STI vs SDQ, "plato del dia", etc... What I find helpful is to sometimes go back re-visit previous threads for information. I re-read many of your previous threads and found there are responses to many of the questions you are asking now.

Reactions: chico bill

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Yes the chicken places in the capital do this many pica pollo. The dead birds go to those places frequently

Reactions: Fulano2