Comedor $ VS cooking $ ?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I feel cooking at home for me is better. I can control the sodium, oil, etc.. But that does not mean I have not had " fast food". But I can honestly say I have never had a "plato del dia" from a comedor. At home (in-laws) on rare occasion (seldom) a version of "la bandera" but never at a comedor. As we age watching what we eat is important. I guess seeing what I am buying/cooking is more important.

Reactions: rey and NanSanPedro

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
Depending how you shop or where, you can plan meals within a budget if needed. When we go to the campo visiting the in-laws, we bring back a lot of fresh veggies. These are used throughout the week for various meals. I do not cook too many meat heavy meals, especially when it is hot. The other day I made an eggplant lasagna that was enough for 2 meals. I do not cook a lot of rice or beans. But when I do I like to add a lot of vegetables. Years ago, I might not have been so picky. But now as I age, I am trying to be more aware of what I am eating.

JimDMcEachern

Oct 16, 2016
Wooahh Silver! Ok, they cook the living daylights out of meat because the majority doesn't know how to prepare it. Sear, braise etc. The cook times are excessive and the meat that remains would be inedible if not doused in the same sauce they use for everything. 165F kills all bacteria. I've had maids that cook red meat or pork for over an hour!! They cook literally everything blast furnace style. No way beans need to boil.on high for 30 minutes after they are already soft!. Blast furnace eggs in oil! I worked in restaurants through college and I cook avidly till today. I don't care where the meat comes from, you need to know how to select it. Then you need to understand seasoning, and fundamental cooking processes. I used to buy the pork from a carnicero in Las Galeras. He had this nasty bloody tree stump and part of a carcass hanging from a tree. Now, most Dominicans would say "dame 2 libra de cerdo". This guy will give you whatever the heck he wants to and hack it up with a rotted, rusted bloody machete. He would let me cut out my loin chops myself! I would slice off a gorgeous hunk and then he would want to hack it up. I said, no ill take the whole piece home like that. He said no one has ever done this lol. Now, I can get it home and prep it to be cooked properly. The same with the beef. Try asking for a a chuck cut (which is the "carne 7" in Spanish). They don't have it. They sell you hacked up leg which has zero fat. You need to buy beef or pork at places like pricesmart or an upscale meat joint in the city if you need a pork shoulder, or rib roast.
I remember that bloody stump and the pork hanging in the heat of the Galleys! I was watching to see how quickly he would sell his meat.

• Haha
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I buy prepared food in Sirena and Bravo all the time that is cheap and good.

Yesterday I got a 3 color salad for 80 pesos that will easily last me 3 or 4 days, and a large Mero Filet for 150 pesos, a tray of breaded chicken tenders for 140 pesos, and a serving of pork for about the same price, and one of giant meatballs.

None were overcooked, prepared badly, or left over from the day before. Nothing I purchase from them is a one meal serving - all of them are enough for two meals.

I also have Pedidosya with 5-6 really good comedors that prepare excellent plates for 4-5 dollars. (There are money more but I stick to the really good places with high reviews).

You guys are doing it wrong. :LOL:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I was salivating while buying a whole rotisserie chicken in Samaná. Once the guy got done massacring it with his dirty machete, I was no longer hungry. I felt like asking, “what the hell did you do that for”?
The place I buy from uses meat snips. I pay 500 for a full chicken. That lasts us three meals, and at least one meal for my BIL.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
The place I buy from uses meat snips. I pay 500 for a full chicken. That lasts us three meals, and at least one meal for my BIL.
I forgot to mention Provocon. Same thing. Fresh off of the rotisserie. They also have a full buffet for lunch every day. Not cheap though,

I can spend 20 bucks there without even trying if I buy a few things.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Jumbo PC here does a pretty good job on prepared foods for lunch .. I just nuke the food to kill the norovirus

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Jumbo PC here does a pretty good job on prepared foods for lunch .. I just nuke the food to kill the norovirus
I think they have the big 3 color salads as well. I know for sure they have Mexican and chicken salad plates.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We occasionally eat at Sirena if we’re shopping. Never street food, we stopped that when they found out the guy selling the best chimichurri in Haina was using dog meat (street dogs) 🤮

Even when we eat at the beach….. I’ll only order things I can physically identify (shrimp, whole fish, etc). I had to stop buying the clams the guy opens for you at the table after I became very ill.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
We occasionally eat at Sirena if we’re shopping. Never street food, we stopped that when they found out the guy selling the best chimichurri in Haina was using dog meat (street dogs) 🤮

Even when we eat at the beach….. I’ll only order things I can physically identify (shrimp, whole fish, etc). I had to stop buying the clams the guy opens for you at the table after I became very ill.
Clams or oysters. Regardless both can kill you. Remember, street vendors need to use the bathroom too!

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
We do not do the street vendors but will sometimes get the prepared rotisserie chicken. AE's post about the chimichurri in Haina has always been one of my biggest fears with street vendors, so no street vendors.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I avoid the street folks as well, except for a guy who makes empanadillas de yuca in front of Supermarket Ines. Hard to screw up fried yuca, and his are really good with hot sauce.