Conan O'Brien's visit to Haiti

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Excuses and more excuses. There is no reason for not asking to use the restroom at a public establishment such as McDonald's, a shopping center, supermarket, etc. If one must use the bathroom in public (outside), there is no reason to not exercise some decency and be discreet as possible, as opposed to just doing one's needs, specifically defecating, just anywhere, in front of anyone, as Haitians routinely do in the DR. The amount of Haitian apologism here is incredibly disingenous. My family comes from humble beginnings in the DR, where for many years they had to live in barrios where all the neighbors had to share bathrooms and letrines out in backyards and not once did you hear or come across ppl defecating in public. Even in the countryside if you couldn't make it to the letrine, you would at least go behind some bushes, trees, whatever, but there was always an exercise in some form of discretion and personal hygiene.

There is no justification for not exercising discretion and hygiene with ones necessities unless you are mentally or physically impaired in any way.

i am with you when it comes to your revulsion at the idea of people expediting their bodily functions in public, in full view of disgusted onlookers, and with no regard for hygiene consequences. however, please pay a little more attention to the realities of life in the DR for Hiatians. i do not really believe that McDonalds is going to tolerate an unending parade of Haitians wanting to avail themselves of the sanitary facilities. it will be a very short period of time before a notification is made that bathrooms are for customers only.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...the public school in Santiago near me looks like a prison now....at night the haitians would climb the school wall and use the classrooms for about everything , a party house..a bathroom... place to sleep..place to cook, open fire on the floor...totally trashing the school ,to the students dismay when arriving in the morning...now with the new steel doors and razor wire,it has that prison look..ohhh and for using the classroom floor for a bathroom, there is a real bathroom down the hall...children coming to school in the morning dont need to see their desk surrounded by excrement,broken beer bottles,used condoms......Doc......

Sep 4, 2012
Certainly the "love affair" with Haitians in the DR regardless of what they do is nothing short of laughable. Beyond the "excuses" provided by some on their replies there is not a sustainable base to shield the Haitians nasty, disrespectful and irresponsible actions towards everyone else and thus the DR as country.

Funny, I have yet to see any Haitians taking a dump any where near Miami Beach?

Wondering why?

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I think poop in public is a Cultural thing ... but in case of some countries , its lack of sewer system, or open sewer rather than underground ..

but for example in china , its apparently acceptable ( much to the horror of visitors) for children up to like early teens , to poop in a bag on the street ... I guess there are just not enough bathrooms , not sure ..

construction workers are known to poop in 5 gal pails on job sites among their fellow employees
..not the same thing , but they could easily have done it in the privacy of the Dunkin Donuts before they showed up for their shift ..

I just watched it and it got a chuckle out of me. I love the cow picture with James in the Oval office. Obviously, the intent was to contradict my lovely president, and I would bet that cow picture is in the same spot as a portrait of Trump's two sons. It's humor; nothing more.

OT, but I was expecting Trump would be a huge boon to late night comedians. It just didn't happen...

Re: Cholera - If you grow up in wall to wall corrugated tin shakes where the nearest privy is, well, you don't know where it is because your slum is miles wide and you're in the middle. The only solution is to crap in any drainage area, and let the rain do it's work. There is a serious lack of privacy when you also bathe in the street.

My girlfriend is a rags to riches story as she grew up in one of these slums where people were routinely murdered in the street by AK-47 toting "criminals" (as she calls them). If you got to go, you got to go. I'm not sure how her mother managed to snag a husband that was part of the oligarchy, but I suspect my girlfriend gets her her feminine wiles from her mother.

I thought it was surprising when Nicaraguan men would pi$$ against a wall in cities. But, after being in the DR, I now think the Nicaraguans were fairly modest as men in the DR will just pull out their stuff and do their business in full view of the road or spectators.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Publicly accessible bathrooms - if you build them in sufficient numbers and then maintain them, "they" will go...

Do nothing and those who have to go will do so wherever they happen to be when they cannot wait any longer. Perhaps offer public bathrooms in the Metro before the turnstiles. Oh yeah we don't want the unwashed hanging around the Metro. The assertion that the destitute are welcomed with open arms into the businesses here after they politely ask to use the private facilities is wishful thinking at best.

I wonder how long the restrooms at the bus stations would remain accessible if 10,000 Haitians started flushing there every day? My guess, not long. Hey how about sending those who defecate in public to jail...at least there are toilets (or sorts) available to all there, maybe.

Sep 4, 2012
Maybe because there are publicly accessible bathrooms on that beach or if referring to the general area of Miami Beach itself, there are public toilets discretely located all over the place.

O perhaps, because they clearly understand that the USA is a country of laws and if they would dare to do what they currently do in the DR, their next stop will be jail and may be deportation if it applies?

Sep 4, 2012
Maybe because there are publicly accessible bathrooms on that beach or if referring to the general area of Miami Beach itself, there are public toilets discretely located all over the place.

BTW, if your stand is based on the notion of the lack of bathroom facilities, please allow me to ask you (assuming you live currently in the DR), do you, yourself, based on the same excuse also defecate in the streets w/o any shame?

Nothing personal, just a rebuttal to your stated position.

jenmar237

Aug 8, 2017
In conclusion, Haitians are a poor, defenseless people, completely incapable of putting together the thought that defecating in public view of everyone is not appropriate, much less hygienic, and, as such, we must accept it and make all excuses possible to justifiy this behavior. Got it *thumbs up* :tired:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Possibly, but I think the availability of a more private and easily accessible option is a bigger factor. There are some bodily processes that the individual can control for only so long or not at all. Try telling a women in labor to just "hold it" or someone who can't stand still that the nearest bathroom is a mile that way. A conviction wouldn't withstand an appeal of there was sufficient evidence to support the defense that 6 out of 6 establishments asked decline to allow admittance and there were no public toilets on offer anywhere (just doesn't happen in Miami Beach).

The developed world provides public toilets in recognition of the need for them. No public toilets implies an acceptance that somewhere else will have to do and in the absence of centrally located drainage areas in SD....

I don't believe there is a need to go in the middle of a sidewalk when an alley around the corner might offer a tad more privacy and be less obtrusive to passersby but the end result is the same.

Sep 4, 2012
Possibly, but I think the availability of a more private and easily accessible option is a bigger factor. There are some bodily processes that the individual can control for only so long or not at all. Try telling a women in labor to just "hold it" or someone who can't stand still that the nearest bathroom is a mile that way. A conviction wouldn't withstand an appeal of there was sufficient evidence to support the defense that 6 out of 6 establishments asked decline to allow admittance and there were no public toilets on offer anywhere (just doesn't happen in Miami Beach).

The developed world provides public toilets in recognition of the need for them. No public toilets implies an acceptance that somewhere else will have to do and in the absence of centrally located drainage areas in SD....

Deflection to a very straight query?

Please see #128 and expand, TYIA.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
For those that say they have never seen Haitians doing their necessities in public, one case was video taped in the DR:

[video=youtube;TB907fu9Ms0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB907fu9Ms0[/video]

I was searching for another video of a Haitian woman probably in her 50’s that was video taped walking down a Dominican street and out of nowhere she stopped in the middle of the sidewalk, squatted, did her thing, got up and kept going as if that was the most normal thing in the world. I couldn’t find that video, but this new one came up.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This Haitian woman is quite clean with herself. Maybe the car exhaust of Dominican streets makes the shampoo work better. Beauty secrets? 

[video=youtube;FHKi5Q_V7yM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHKi5Q_V7yM[/video]

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I have seen a drunk take a dump in the middle of the road------- at night in the pitch dark, he was dominican, by the way, and very very drunk : he didnt even blink as I missed him by inches at 100km/h.

But anyway, yeah I am sure, defecating in public is the main cause of the haitian failed state........duuh.

On another note I hope you guys realise the problem is much the same in the dr....... there are no sewers in the countryside, fyi.
And I invite you to take a look at a sceptic tank in the dr campo.......lol. Its a hole with a few stones thrown in, maybe, and its a big maybe, some cement and some blocks. And thats if there even is a sceptic tank.
Want to take a guess where all that s.hit ends up ?
Nothing wrong with that in my books, mind you, some sh.it is good for the plants :) :)
The real problem is the increase in population, too many people = too much sh.it.

I have an anecdote for the haitian haters :)
Getting some construction work done ( more on that in a feel good story of the day ).
Haitian " boss" , 2 dominican day workers.
2 workers take a sh.it, one after each other obviously, or it would have been real weird ;), I have an outside kitchen/bathroom/laundry/dinning room combo to that effect.
Later after lunch the haitian dude asks where he can wash his hands. I point to the bathroom. He comes back out and says there is no soap. I tell him there is a despenser on the wall ( white man's préjugé O.O ). The 2 day workers snigger.
He says there isnt.
My wife says she filled it yesterday and forgot to put it back.
Morality : the 2 filthy day workers took a cra.p and didnt notice there was no soap !!!!
Roles reversed ???

Now, based on this story, am I going to go around posting that all dominicans are filthy pigs that dont wash their hands ?
No of course not.

People in glass houses shouldnt throw stones comes to my mind while reading some of the posts in this thread.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
BTW, if your stand is based on the notion of the lack of bathroom facilities, please allow me to ask you (assuming you live currently in the DR), do you, yourself, based on the same excuse also defecate in the streets w/o any shame?

Nothing personal, just a rebuttal to your stated position.

I can't very well equate my reality with that of a person living on the street. I have three bathrooms at home so I can use one before I leave the house. I also have enough pesos in my pocket that I can pay for a beer after making use of a bathroom in an establishment that requires a purchase to use the facilities. Failing that, I can reasonably assume that I can walk into most places with a restroom and make use of it because my skin color does not seem to get anyone's knickers in a knot.

However, if that was not the case and I was unable to find a place to extinguish the call of nature by all means available to me within the available time frame to do so, given the choice between soiling my pants and using some space that was not intended for the purpose, I have no doubt that I would elect the latter option.

Would I choose a spot in the middle of the street in full view of everyone, not unless the baby was coming and there was no stopping it. My upbringing has instilled a "shame" of body and bodily functions. Had I grown up in an environment where personal privacy was not available and not seen as "yucky" then my level of discomfort caused by dragging my testicles on the pavement may well be be different.

For the record, I would prefer that no one relieves themselves where I may step in it or have to look at it. I feel the same about dog owners who do not poop and scoop. But with the complete absence of publicly available alternatives for people who have no access to toilets, an upbringing that differs significantly from mine and my ingrained shame of all natural bodily functions pertaining to parts we all have and contend with each and everyday, I can sort of understand the plight of these people. I'm not happy about it and not in a position to do anything meaningful about it, but shyte happens, everyday.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
So, basically, saying that Haitians like pooping on sidewalks, in the street, in plain daylight, and that this is not good, makes anyone a Haitian hater? LMAO!

So a very, very drunk Dominican did it? The point is Haitians doing it are not drunk.
Some of you should start the "Haitian Poop Foundation", get some public bathrooms and donate them, perhaps, build some latrines in your properties so that people can go defecate there.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
For those that say they have never seen Haitians doing their necessities in public, one case was video taped in the DR:

[video=youtube;TB907fu9Ms0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB907fu9Ms0[/video]

I was searching for another video of a Haitian woman probably in her 50’s that was video taped walking down a Dominican street and out of nowhere she stopped in the middle of the sidewalk, squatted, did her thing, got up and kept going as if that was the most normal thing in the world. I couldn’t find that video, but this new one came up.

Shame on you, oh, Hatian Hater for making up and posting this video here!

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
This Haitian woman is quite clean with herself. Maybe the car exhaust of Dominican streets makes the shampoo work better. Beauty secrets? 

I'm willing to stipulate that FOB (Fresh off the boat) Hatians will retain their motherland habits for awhile, but except for some exceptional cases, most will rapidly pick up different habits when given the opportunity to change (i.e., access to a toilet).

I can't think of a single casita or shoe box casitas that doesn't have a toilet in Puerto Plata. Even the squatters in buildings usually make a latrine.

And, I see a lot of children being bathed outside their casita in a basin that is also used for washing clothes. I'm guessing that the adults have a bucket bath inside.

btw, I feel like a Gringo slob as I don't keep my clothes neat, clean, and tidy as many of the poor Haitian people that I know. I try to make an effort, but getting dirty is pretty normal to me. Staying clean takes hyper vigilance that I don't possess.

editing in a PS, but I live among poor Hatians and I've never seen anybody crap on the street or even urinate. It would be very exceptional if that happened.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
editing in a PS, but I live among poor Hatians and I've never seen anybody crap on the street or even urinate. It would be very exceptional if that happened.

They must be a different breed from the ones one can see down here, then, cuz speaking from experience by having to traverse the Mercado Modelo in the capi, it's hard to miss when they do their antics, or the overpowering stench pervading the whole place. Mind you, the so called "Little Haiti" bloc (which is the general are in which the market is located) is a traditional haunt of theirs here, so not all of the people there are recently arrived.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
They must be a different breed from the ones one can see down here, then, cuz speaking from experience by having to traverse the Mercado Modelo in the capi, it's hard to miss when they do their antics, or the overpowering stench pervading the whole place. Mind you, the so called "Little Haiti" bloc (which is the general are in which the market is located) is a traditional haunt of theirs here, so not all of the people there are recently arrived.

Yeah, that's definitely different, but I believe you. Little Haiti might be right.