Conditional Green Card and Extension Expire

RBTH

Oct 15, 2020
Puerto Rico
My SO received a conditional green card on 4/27/17 when she flew to Puerto Rico. This green card expired two years later on 4/27/19. Then she received an extension letter saying that her "conditional resident status is extended for 18 months from the expirartion date of your Form I-151".

Since June 2019, we've been scheduled for the interview "Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence". Unfortunately, due to the coronavirus, we haven't received a date for the interview. Now, her 18-month extension is about to expire this month. We don't know what to do next.

What can she do? After this month, her extension will have expired and her conditional green card will also have expired. What's our next step? I was reading about an I-551 stamp, but I'm not sure how this works.

Regarding travel, she was considering traveling to the Dominican Republic in November. We were also thinking of traveling to the US in December

Thanks in advance.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
My SO received a conditional green card on 4/27/17 when she flew to Puerto Rico. This green card expired two years later on 4/27/19. Then she received an extension letter saying that her "conditional resident status is extended for 18 months from the expirartion date of your Form I-151".

Since June 2019, we've been scheduled for the interview "Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence". Unfortunately, due to the coronavirus, we haven't received a date for the interview. Now, her 18-month extension is about to expire this month. We don't know what to do next.

What can she do? After this month, her extension will have expired and her conditional green card will also have expired. What's our next step? I was reading about an I-551 stamp, but I'm not sure how this works.

Regarding travel, she was considering traveling to the Dominican Republic in November. We were also thinking of traveling to the US in December

Thanks in advance.
since you have applied to remove conditions you should be able to get another extension.. I'd take her to the US and not chance it in the DR

Reactions: CristoRey

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If she is out of the country on an expired green card, she most likely won't be allowed back in. Just don't risk travelling out of the US until it is resolved.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
If she is out of the country on an expired green card, she most likely won't be allowed back in. Just don't risk travelling out of the US until it is resolved.
That is 100% correct. "Most likely" AKA "for certain".

Jan 9, 2004

Thanks in advance.

If you timely filed the I-751 (Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence)...........you are ok.

By operation of law, once that Form is filed, your residency continues (automatically), until you are approved or denied. In other words, even if the date of the one-year extension has come and gone, the person remains in legal status until the Form I-751 is adjudicated.

It technically is NOT an extension of the green card, but a HOLD on any further actions that might negatively affect you until a hearing takes place.

You/they/she can still legally work and travel..............but you might want to reconsider travel........particularly if you encounter an immigration agent unfamiliar with the process.........

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: JD Jones