conjugal visits area in la victoria prison

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i've heard the prisoners were allowed conjugal visits. i have never seen a dominican prison so i had no idea what to expect.
today in the papers there's news about a prisoner who killed his girlfriend with a homemade knife during a conjugal visit and then hanged himself: Recluso y mujer son hallados muertos en La Victoria - DiarioLibre.com

detras de rumor, of course, has crime scene picture (caution, strong images): Recluso de la Victoria asesina pareja que lo fue a visitar y luego se ahorca (IMAGEN MUY FUERTE EN CONTENIDO)

depressing place and depressing news. la victoria is the best known and the biggest prison in the country.

here is a video about la victoria, encarcelados (in spanish):

[video=youtube;9NeXpWcu5Lg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NeXpWcu5Lg#t=29[/video]

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Saw this video a while back. It really gives you an inside look into how it is to be in jail in this country.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
all i could think when i watched the video is that one spark could take this whole place down.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
all i could think when i watched the video is that one spark could take this whole place down.

Didn't something like that happen in an Higuey prison a couple of years ago when a fire killed many. They've since built a state-of-the-art "joint" in Anamuya to replace it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think the prisons looked quite hellish. on a positive side, as soon as you place your foot outside the walls you look 100% like a civilian and can blend in with the crowd. makes escapes a bit easier.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
i think the prisons looked quite hellish. on a positive side, as soon as you place your foot outside the walls you look 100% like a civilian and can blend in with the crowd. makes escapes a bit easier.

What????? No mamey-colored jumpsuits??????:)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
By the looks of it he also cut his veins, anybody else noticed this?

this article has a few more lines about how the deaths occurred: REO MATA CONCUBINA EN CARCEL LA VICTORIA Y LUEGO SE SUICIDA. ~ SY.com
it seems like the man cut his girlfriend's throat and then stabbed her in the neck. i see no injuries on his arms.
in regards to his suicide, hanging is just a common term. the cause of death in those cases is asphyxia but one can be sitting or lying down even, the position is irrelevant. as long as the blood flow to the brain is interrupted one will die. but yes, you need to want to go.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
It was 3 months since her last visit. She may have uttered the wrong name at an intimate moment. That is a particularly gruesome scene as with most crimes of passion. Dominican press holds nothing back, I'll give them that.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
this article has a few more lines about how the deaths occurred: REO MATA CONCUBINA EN CARCEL LA VICTORIA Y LUEGO SE SUICIDA. ~ SY.com
it seems like the man cut his girlfriend's throat and then stabbed her in the neck. i see no injuries on his arms.
in regards to his suicide, hanging is just a common term. the cause of death in those cases is asphyxia but one can be sitting or lying down even, the position is irrelevant. as long as the blood flow to the brain is interrupted one will die. but yes, you need to want to go.

From reading the article in spanish it says that he cut her throat (girlfriend) and then gave a few lunges or stabs (to his own neck). How gory! :eek:

Last edited:

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
It was 3 months since her last visit. She may have uttered the wrong name at an intimate moment. That is a particularly gruesome scene as with most crimes of passion. Dominican press holds nothing back, I'll give them that.

Mostly all Spanish newspapers are like that, the Mexican newspaper is very gruesome! But in the USA the public does not get to see the gory details because of censorship.