Considering a move to D-R infos please

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:
Really? What part of Canada have you been to, excluding our handful of big cities?

Sorry, I havent been to Canada, but I do find Dominican Rep. safe. I was just giving an example.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Mira said:
Actually, Daddy is non existant (it's a long story) so is the extended family. My son don't know of them, never saw them, never will... I made my mistakes too in life! There are my parents which I see once every 6 months or so but that is about the only family I got and I can always buy my way out to visit them or they can come visit me.

Support system up here, what do you mean? Wealthfare? Support for young single mothers?

1- I don't live on wealthfare and there are really slim chances I ever need it. I am really competent in many fields, even thought I am quite young, I've been working at different places on different things since I was 13; first as a chambermaid, then a waitress/bossgirl, then receptionnist, in an hotel. My family was not rich, I had to help too.
I know a lot about computers, I took a tech course before I reoriented myself realizing I prefered softwares to hardwares, basically I can work easily with most office softwares (Word, Word Perfect, Lotus, Quatro Pro, Outlook, JD Edwards, Accpac, Excel, Access, Power Point, Win Medias, Dreamweaver, Flash) name it, chances are I know how to use it.
I know web design and graphic design, I do it as a side job, I get little contracts here and there and I currently work full time as an administrative assistant at the accounting service in the health system (governement) but I started off there as an accounting technician. I speak French-English and speak Spanish enough to know what's happening around me, in fact I am even teaching it to my son who already speaks French and English. And I understand Italian even thought I don't practice it. I am really qualified even thought I skipped University, I prefered learning as I worked.

2- Support for young single mothers up here is discussion groups, which I never go to, heck, at least if they would do "support" but they're bitching, whining and complaining about how hard it is to live with a kid and most of them are on wealthfare, 16-17 yrs old. Not any close to my situation.

3- I have been considering it for a while, I've checked the pros and cons. I said it earlier, I wouldn't do a move with nothing awaiting for me up here, I would leave, with my furnished home rented, so it provides me some income while down there, I take a few months off from my job and I leave with my Visa totally cleared, money on the side to take me out asap if I need to and enough money to support me and my child 4 months. Before I make a final decision I would try a 4 months experience. I cannot afford leaving more than that since in January 2006 I am trying to hit a promotion, but if I don't get that promotion, I am reorienting myself, most likely in teaching, I love children, I love helping, I love sharing knowledge and I will most likely get my degrees to go teach French or English in a foreign country like a 3rd world country.
What is it going to do to my son? He will see other cultures, other way of lifes and I sincerely think he can acquire great life experience out of that. I know many of my friends who lived that with their parents as kids and they turned out pretty good. It's not because we live in North-America that we have the best life quality. And one thing I like about all that is I have the freedom to chose and come back at anytime if I want to!

I made my trips to D-R culturals because I am not the beach type of person and I hated the artifiality of the resorts. I enjoy learning about new culture and living their reality, same as I did in many of my other trips in South America, India, Europe. But not a culture I enjoyed as much as the Dominican one.

Do I look that dumb? I am a strong minded woman, I have a great will power and I am quite intelligent actually. And I don't know what you meant by "getting banged by sankies" since I don't know what "sankies" are,but if it's what I think, you are totally off the track and really irrespectfull. Judging without knowing is a really nasty thing.

You sound smart, go to the US via Nafta and get yourself a great paying job.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Mira said:
Hmm.. interesting! Did you get her from an agency over there or you just asked the next neighbour who told her daughter.... ?

I have been with my GF 4 years now. Most people related to her know how good she has it and all want to be invoved. First off, we eat shrimp 5 times a week and have 4 meals a day. Life is good in my house.

Mira

Jan 15, 2005
Jimmydr said:
You sound smart, go to the US via Nafta and get yourself a great paying job.

Actually, my web desing company is incorporated in the US because I had no other choice if I wanted to use a third party processor and do business with Americans because of the US laws on credit cards processing etc. But if I would have had the choice, I wouldn't have! There is this something about the US that I couldn't live with. I don't have the "patriotic" attitude I guess. No offence, I have nothing against Americans, I just wouldn't live in the US.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Mira said:
Actually, my web desing company is incorporated in the US because I had no other choice if I wanted to use a third party processor and do business with Americans because of the US laws on credit cards processing etc. But if I would have had the choice, I wouldn't have! There is this something about the US that I couldn't live with. I don't have the "patriotic" attitude I guess. No offence, I have nothing against Americans, I just wouldn't live in the US.

Oh boy!

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Mira said:

Alot of Canadians are now working in American CPA firms, why because they can earn triple. No money in DR, just my 2 pesos here.

Mira

Jan 15, 2005
Jimmydr said:
Alot of Canadians are now working in American CPA firms, why because they can earn triple. No money in DR, just my 2 pesos here.

Yeah, I know that! I have some of my friends who studies medecine and left for the US because they earn a lot more. But not thanks, not for me, we're already americanized enough up here.

Actually, I would maybe enjoy living in the jungle in Africa, it's a different type of thrill, but between the US and Canada, not much difference, it's really alike. If I'd have to pick another industrialised country I wouldn't go south of here, I would head for Europe.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Mira said:
Yeah, I know that! I have some of my friends who studies medecine and left for the US because they earn a lot more. But not thanks, not for me, we're already americanized enough up here.

Actually, I would maybe enjoy living in the jungle in Africa, it's a different type of thrill, but between the US and Canada, not much difference, it's really alike. If I'd have to pick another industrialised country I wouldn't go south of here, I would head for Europe.

Ha,ha, you have issues and they will lock you up in the nut ward. have fun.

Mira

Jan 15, 2005
Jimmydr said:
Ha,ha, you have issues and they will lock you up in the nut ward. have fun.

Here we go again, judging one without knowing'em. Is that attitude required to be a member of this board? :disappoin

I don't think that not wishing to live in a country gives you automatically the "nut" label. If I would have had issues, they would have locked me a while ago and wouldn't have let me take care of a child.

I have my own reasons why I wouldn't want to live in the US, 1st one being that I get extremely nervous everytime I got to travel to the US since I always get stopped at the boarders by big intimidating guys with guns who search me and my luggages, ask me 3 times the same questions, and treat me like I was a criminal. It's the only place I ever was searched and questionned at the boarders (and scared), and that happens to me almost every time I go there.

Salary most of the time works accordingly with life cost. In New York, jobs pay better than Montreal but I would never find myself a US300$/month rent like I got here. In Paris, jobs pay well too, but life cost is high. Moving from Canada to the US is basically exchanging a dollar for four quarters, there is not much difference... Instead, if I want to live the exact same life, I should just move to Toronto, or Vancouver. It's all Canadian, no challenge, no difference, same old stuff different place.

And if going on a safari in the African jungle is what you consider to be insane, it's not something I would personnaly do but there must be a hell of a lot of insane people out there because there are people who do it!

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Mira said:
I have my own reasons why I wouldn't want to live in the US, 1st one being that I get extremely nervous everytime I got to travel to the US since I always get stopped at the boarders by big intimidating guys with guns who search me and my luggages, ask me 3 times the same questions, and treat me like I was a criminal. It's the only place I ever was searched and questionned at the boarders (and scared), and that happens to me almost every time I go there.

Really, no one in DR searches things. Funny they look at my stuff.
I was in NYC when the Towers came down. Scary.

I can't understand why people would want to work for $350 a month in DR, and live in a shack if they don't have too??

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Mira said:
Salary most of the time works accordingly with life cost. In New York, jobs pay better than Montreal but I would never find myself a US300$/month rent like I got here. In Paris, jobs pay well too, but life cost is high. Moving from Canada to the US is basically exchanging a dollar for four quarters, there is not much difference... Instead, if I want to live the exact same life, I should just move to Toronto, or Vancouver. It's all Canadian, no challenge, no difference, same old stuff different place.

A Canadian in my firm went from 30,000$ Canadian to $70,000 US.
Thats a BIG RAISE!

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Based on my experience of seeing lots of trash wash up in Sosua, not directing this at you at all, if you are a failure in your country, you will fail here as well. Mnay have retreated in the last 3 years.

If you are a winner, you will succeed anywhere then.

Mira

Jan 15, 2005
Jimmydr said:
A Canadian in my firm went from 30,000$ Canadian to $70,000 US.
Thats a BIG RAISE!

It's actually enourmous! There is also the fact that we're paid cheaper because our insurances don't cost much and the health system is "free" (not really with all the taxes we pay but it never cost us 50k for an operation). If I'd care a little for $ I would definatly give it a thought. Who knows, maybe in a few years I will feel I need more $.

Mira

Jan 15, 2005
Jimmydr said:
Based on my experience of seeing lots of trash wash up in Sosua, not directing this at you at all, if you are a failure in your country, you will fail here as well. Mnay have retreated in the last 3 years.

If you are a winner, you will succeed anywhere then.

That is a rule in anything. If you are unhappy and miserable in your own coutry, you will be unhappy and miserable in any country. If you have problems in a place, your problems will follow you to the next place and maybe grow like mountains... The list could be long. Nobody escapes from that rule.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
What is your kid going to do, go to public school? Private school costs $150 a month. A nice Dominican apt runs about $200 at least. How much do you think you will need per month?

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
well, since you are coming here...good luck. Hope you find your paradise. Me, I would try to find my happiness in my child and the good job you talk so much about. But you sound like someone who cannot be told different...you have all the answers. So best of luck. I mean that.

You have been given some good advice here....let me drive this home...

1. Have a lot of money. A lot of money. You can have your paridise here, but...you have to create it and it takes a lot of money.
2. Don't trust anyone. From listening to you, your head is in the clouds about this place and the angelic people here.
3. Be extremely cautious with your child...and who you leave him with. It only takes one time and your life and his will be destroyed.
4. Date men who own their business or who are career successful. Not sankies looking at you as a ticket out or the daily meal ticket.

Again, Best of Luck.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Snuffy said:
well, since you are coming here...good luck. Hope you find your paradise. Me, I would try to find my happiness in my child and the good job you talk so much about. But you sound like someone who cannot be told different...you have all the answers. So best of luck. I mean that.

You have been given some good advice here....let me drive this home...

1. Have a lot of money. A lot of money. You can have your paridise here, but...you have to create it and it takes a lot of money.
2. Don't trust anyone. From listening to you, your head is in the clouds about this place and the angelic people here.
3. Be extremely cautious with your child...and who you leave him with. It only takes one time and your life and his will be destroyed.
4. Date men who own their business or who are career successful. Not sankies looking at you as a ticket out or the daily meal ticket.

Again, Best of Luck.

True
True
True
True

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Cost of Living....

Jimmydr said:
What is your kid going to do, go to public school? Private school costs $150 a month. A nice Dominican apt runs about $200 at least. How much do you think you will need per month?

The apartments are rising in rent to about $300 a month. Although this part of living expenses is cheap by comparison...they get you on anything else you purchase here...be it food, gas, q-tips, toilet paper...etc... That adds up. And this is such a tricky place to buy all that goes into day to day living...I just would not know where to begin.

All I know is that it adds up. For us, we spend about $1800 a month. Lately I don't even try to cut back on that.

And to get set up right....money, money, money. One of your first purchases will be a refrigerator. After that you will get the picture. And if you purchase a vehicle, you will really get the picture.

Best of luck.

Do let us know how it goes.

Mira

Jan 15, 2005
Jimmydr said:

I planed 8k (cad) for my 4 months (without flight costs) + 250$ monthly from the rental of my home . Then, when I go back, if I ever do, I don't know yet, it will depend on many factors I guess, like considering how much it did cost me for my that 4 months, etc. Money is not an issue if you wonder. I don't have much irrealistic thoughts, I knew people living in the Bahamas, I know retireds who live in Sto.Domingo (who have no electricity 3/4 of the time), I had friends who lived there married to Dominicans (I am not in love with a local either btw). But I am here seeking other advices than the "it's great, life is wonderfull, come down here! You and your son will love it". I am taking comments and and advices from all the people's experiences I can find. It's homeworks I've been doing for a few yrs but now I just feel much closer to being ready to dip myself in.

WHAT?? Did you say private school are 150$ per month? I thought it was closer to 250$-300$ per month. :surprised

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Mira said:
I planed 8k (cad) for my 4 months (without flight costs) + 250$ monthly from the rental of my home . Then, when I go back, if I ever do, I don't know yet, it will depend on many factors I guess, like considering how much it did cost me for my that 4 months, etc. Money is not an issue if you wonder. I don't have much irrealistic thoughts, I knew people living in the Bahamas, I know retireds who live in Sto.Domingo (who have no electricity 3/4 of the time), I had friends who lived there married to Dominicans (I am not in love with a local either btw). But I am here seeking other advices than the "it's great, life is wonderfull, come down here! You and your son will love it". I am taking comments and and advices from all the people's experiences I can find. It's homeworks I've been doing for a few yrs but now I just feel much closer to being ready to dip myself in.

I think you will need $1500 - $2500 a month minimum.

Monthly
Rent $300 - $400
School $150 - $200
Food $500 - $600
Trans $100
Misc $300
Nanny $100

Just my 2 cents