Considering a move to D-R infos please

Mira

Jan 15, 2005
miguel said:
It all depends on how she wants to live. If she is coming here to live the "good life" and go out all the time and live in a great neighorhood, then some of your figures are "right on", except the "school".

If she wants to live comfortable and still have her kid in private school( and please don't say that she can not find it since I know people that are paying much less the the below figures):

Rent- 200- 300
Private school- 250-400
Food- 300-400
Trans- 100 unless you buy a car
Misc- 100-200
Nanny/Maid- 150-200

Now, if you want to live the "high life", multiply the obove by 3 or 4.

Now that is more like the prices I was thinking I would pay. I said it before, I have no wish whatsoever of living like I do here because if I would I would simplifiy my life and stay here!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Mira said:
Now that is more like the prices I was thinking I would pay. I said it before, I have no wish whatsoever of living like I do here because if I would I would simplifiy my life and stay here!
Then you can make it. people in the DR have been doing it for generations with much less than that. If you can get used to not living like a "millionaire", then you can make it, no doubt in my mind. Some here, including myself, would not make it with the figures that I wrote, but then again, if I move to another country after working and living in the US for over 30 years, I want to live very, very well.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Mira said:

If you get sick, you better have cash for the doctors.

Mira

Jan 15, 2005
Criss Colon said:
Point is,you need a safety net.MORE MONEY! Have you ever heard of an "ATM"??? you don't need cash,you can take money from a "Cash Machine",as long as you have some money to take out!

Read the thread about the Canadian boy who drowned recently in Puerto Plata.That will give you a better idea about taking care of children in the DR!I have four children here,and I worry day and night!

Ah so there are ATM's ... That's what I've been wondering, I heard of them but never saw anything else but blue cardboard boxes with a guy inside writen "Banca" on it. The houses are fenced but the banks are made of cardboard.

I've read it, and i'ts pretty sad. That can happen just anywhere thought, last year a woman fell off a bridge in her car and drowned. I live right by the St-Lawrence river in Montreal and 2 years ago, it's a whole family in a mini-van, a child drowned 15 mins away from my place this summer. And many kids still get run over by drunken drivers or careless people. My father was run over a month ago, the lady driving left him for dead lying in the middle of the street and dissapeared.

If the odds are with you, chances are they will be anywhere you are, it's impossible to avoid your destiny. But there are people who did it, and do it and they survived to talk about it after.

For the diseases, by going 4 months I don't lose my free medicare here in Quebec, I would have to be gone for 6 month+, and since I still have my job up here, me and my son are still covered by the MedicAlert international coverage I have. I guess the diseases transmited by mosquitos and flies like the dengue and the malaria are the reason why they sell "Off" all over the place in DR.

Mira

Jan 15, 2005
Jimmydr said:
If you get sick, you better have cash for the doctors.

It's not because I don't want to spend much money on my life cost that I don't have money at all...

I live in an appartement (I own) that cost me total 300$ US per month, feeding me and my son 300$US per month, transportation 50$ US per month, other expenses 70$US/month, electricity 100$ phone 60$, insurances 130$. I live really modestly, because I chose to, not because I have to, I can put a lot of money on the side every months because I am like a little ant that prepares for winter. That's how I was able to buy a condo without anyone's help. I always think of future and what is ahead. I have it really god up here, I don't miss anything, even thought I keep it simple and analyses each needs and wants. In fact, I could easily right now put a very good cash down on a property, if I'd want to. But I don't want to go live the American lifestyle in a foreign country, all I want is something typical and real.

Mira

Jan 15, 2005
Jimmydr said:
There are 67 replies now. At least you have an idea of what to expect.
How old is your son?

To some degree, I know what to expect if I want to live in a Villa in Sto.Domingo or Sosua with electricity 24/7 and a water boiler... But I guess it's still helpfull and it gives me other views on the matter. It just feels the same way as discussing about how great camping in a tent in the wilderness is with people who cannot go camping without they're huge full equiped camper and wouldn't go anywhere near the wilderness in case they get see a bear.

My son is 5. My girlfriend's son is 5 too so if it works out and we move together, they will be like 2 little brothers and we'll be two working.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Mira said:
To some degree, I know what to expect if I want to live in a Villa in Sto.Domingo or Sosua with electricity 24/7 and a water boiler... But I guess it's still helpfull and it gives me other views on the matter. It just feels the same way as discussing about how great camping in a tent in the wilderness is with people who cannot go camping without they're huge full equiped camper and wouldn't go anywhere near the wilderness in case they get see a bear.

My son is 5. My girlfriend's son is 5 too so if it works out and we move together, they will be like 2 little brothers and we'll be two working.

My Dominican Apt is 7,000 pesos or $233. There is no 24 hour electric or hot water there. My stepkids are 6 & 8. 1 BRs there are 3200 pesos including electric.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Mira said:
Ah so there are ATM's ... That's what I've been wondering, I heard of them but never saw anything else but blue cardboard boxes with a guy inside writen "Banca" on it. The houses are fenced but the banks are made of cardboard.

This may or may not be meant in jest, but for those who take all that they read literally let me point out that 'Bancas' in the DR are not the same as banks or ATMs. They are informal lottery/betting outlets. :)

Mira

Jan 15, 2005
Jimmydr said:
My Dominican Apt is 7,000 pesos or $233. There is no 24 hour electric or hot water there. My stepkids are 6 & 8. 1 BRs there are 3200 pesos including electric.

If I am alone whit my son, than 1 BR is fine, if my friend comes along then we'll need 2.

Does it happen often that you rent an apt. at a certain price and the following month you get a raise from the landlord? I'm asking because I've seen that happen once.

Mira

Jan 15, 2005
Chirimoya said:
This may or may not be meant in jest, but for those who take all that they read literally let me point out that 'Bancas' in the DR are not the same as banks or ATMs. They are informal lottery/betting outlets. :)

oh... I see. Now that is intersting to know! Thanks for the info. :D

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
Mira,

Me and my wife (age 32 and 36) just moved to Santo Domingo past month so you're not the only one going nuts :) I don't have as much knowledge about country specific questions yet but adapting here hasn't been too hard for me since I had experience from living in Brazil. One thing I can tell you for sure is that for the inital move be it getting stuff cleared from the port, doing "residencia" paperwork, signing up for local health insurance and to get other "stuff" done you better bring a lot of patience.... and have 100 Peso bills ready left and right at all times. Once you're all setup costs of living can be quite low, given you can take the heat and don't need AC all over. Santo Domingo is however somewhat expensive, due to the bad exchange rate right now I ended up spending quite a bit more than I initially calculated.

I have been to a number of countries that I would consider better choices for young european/americans (you mentioned South Africa) but if you want to live the true "3rd world experience" its DR all the way.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Mira said:
I've actually compared a lot, surfed a lot of Domincans classifieds and I came to the conclusion that life cost down there, and up here, are very similar. A live in babysitter here would cost about 200$ canadian (a foreigner lady who don't work for an agency). So it would be pretty close.

Oh yeah... the suggestive remarks... I was walking down the street, downtown Montreal two nights ago, at every corner I would get the whistles and the suggestive comments, that's exactly what I do here too, I ignore them! In Italy it's the exact same thing, men almost run after good looking women to offer antipastis and cafe or vino. Latin decendency men are all the same I guess! :)

You girls are dangerous to look at.

Most of my 100,000 car accidents and my neck pain from spinnning my head around have been caused by females walking in the sidewalks.