Considering a Move to Jarabacoa from NYC- Question about Employment

rms1019

Jul 12, 2016
Honestly, I also think food is cheaper. I know some of the imported is not. But, I have a pretty basic diet haha, i eat chicken, beans, rice, plantains, yucca, and fruit...pretty basic.. sometimes i switch it up. But, when I am there I save a lot on food. Agree, some restaurants are more expensive. Coming from NYC it all seems extremelyyyy cheap. (i know, pay will reflect these changes, it is all relative)

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Well, you're north of 10 posts now, so consider PMing Bob and Cobraboy, they have a wealth of info about Jarabacoa and the Cibao in general.

Also consider reaching out to Hillbilly. He's in Santiago, and likely one of the most knowledgeable expats on the island (that's not an exaggeration).

rms1019

Jul 12, 2016
Rob-Thank you! Good idea, I would love to talk to as many people as I can so I will do that

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'd like to make a suggestion that might offer a better chance for success: stay where you are and focus on acquiring a real in-demand skill that allows you to work remotely. Learn graphic arts, app programming/development, web design, SEO maintenance, creative writing, accounting, php/HTML/CSS/Apache, web server technician, etc.---and save a year's living expenses in advance.

If you try to live within the Dominican economy on basic or low-level skills paid in pesos, you're in for a rude awakening.

I don't intend to be mean. I mean to be truthful.

Think. Don't feel.

Prepare yourself properly. Don't just go and hope things work out, because chances are they won't.

The DR ain't Kansas.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
What CB said, +10.

I think you said you were a teacher. Consider: the DR ain't going anywhere. Teach during the year, and spend your summers out here. It'll give you a chance to try the country out, without completely committing yourself financially and professionally.

Nobody's trying to rain on your parade, it's just that we've seen similar stories before, and without the right planning (or being a trust fund baby), they almost never end well.

rms1019

Jul 12, 2016
No worries, I do not think youre trying to rain on my parade haha..i have stalked this forum enough to know how the typical responses go.
Unfortunately I am not a trust fund baby. And not currently a teacher, but I was. I am definitely not rushing into anything..am doing tons of research and going back in a month for even more. I will make sure this is an informed decision and am not going into it thinking i will be there for a very long time. This is more of an experience I always wanted, but not silly enough to think it would be practical long term for me. Just seems to be as good a time as any.
Appreciate the advice

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
RMS, you asked about the experiences of getting residency so here is what I had to do.... Your going to apply for Residency and the first step is to obtain a Residency Visa which is good for 3 months. You start by applying at the nearest DR consulate, they have a list of paperwork required on their web server, Everything on their list will have to be notorized and then translated into spanish and then Apostiled before they accept. There are a number of categories you must fit into - like a retiree, pensioner, pending employment with job offer, or show ability to support self with lots ad lots of money. Once approved, it's only a short wait maybe week or so and then you get your passport back with the Residency Visa inside. Now you can go to the DR legally for 3 months and within that time frame you must present to the Immigration Offices to start the actual residency process. I would strongly advise to use a lawyer.

rms1019

Jul 12, 2016
Karl- Thank you! This is what I researched and seems to be the way to do it. I spoke with a couple teachers who just have the tourist card, and the school pays the overstay fee when they return to the states for Christmas break.
However, I know most jobs will require the residency visa. Glad to hear it was a short wait for you though! I heard it can be up to 3 months.
Also, noted about the lawyer..i heard it is pretty much the only way to do it correctly

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is unfortunate that you will need to spend what will amount a few months pay in the DR to get that residency, especially if you use a lawyer.

rms1019

Jul 12, 2016
that is true, which is why i have been trying to figure out about the travel visa. the people that i know from the US who live there now (teachers, etc) do not have residency but just pay the fine when returning in the airport.