CONSTANZA

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
There is a new book out - SEED MONEY -- by Barton Elmore
Which is Very Important READING
for anyone in the government who is interested in developing Constanza as a tourist area... (which it should be)

Because the farmers are using heavy pesticide

Since the town is in a mountain valley - there is a dome inversion which keeps the toxic fumes enclosed (think - Mexico City)

My piece on Constanza --from October, 2008

..."The price of gasoline is now at 197.5 (5.80 dollars) pesos per gallon which affects the cost of production. "All the water must be pumped from the canals or holding ponds," said Rosado, pointing to the small pumps at the side of one pond.

Asked about gravity-fed systems, Rosado said, "Some farmers have installed some systems for that but not many. You still have to pump the water. And the price of oil also affects the price of fertiliser and transportation."

Hugo Arriasa Morales, of NRECA International, an NGO which works on installing rural energy systems, says that solar energy can help reduce the costs of production.

"We are working to install a small hydroelectric system in Constanza. And if a group of farmers, perhaps 20, combine for a solar system, we can help them greatly reduce costs of production," he said. "...

But I think I omitted the issue of the agricultural fumes -- since I was there for a week, and most tourists are only there for a overnight - so I decided I could leave it out and still have an authentic piece.

It would be GREAT if someone could add to this thread!! (there were at least 2 lovely hotels -I am confident they are both there.

Anyway - PLEASE PASS THIS INFORMATION to some agronomist in the Government - since there are a LOT of them and the DR is doing a stunning job so far in preserving nature..... BUT - ALL the people who have to live there are being poisoned,

So - there is that issue,

(yes, I do spend my day with BOOK TALK on CSPAN2)

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Heavy pesticide. Hopefully not DDT or something really toxic… so strawberries, broccoli, etc from Constanza should be washed well. Like most f/v

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
An amazing place to visit. I stay at the Nuevo Suizo and from my balcony, I see literally hundreds of plots of land planted with everything under the sun, most with some sort of protective cover to keep moisture in. They even grow on the sides of the mountains.

• Love
Reactions: mountainannie

Luz del mundo

Banned
Apr 4, 2022
Dominican Republic
An amazing place to visit. I stay at the Nuevo Suizo and from my balcony, I see literally hundreds of plots of land planted with everything under the sun, most with some sort of protective cover to keep moisture in. They even grow on the sides of the mountains.
Amazing is an understatement ! I stayed at Los Colinas my last trip and although its hardly a Ritz Carlton , the views from my balcony were just surreal but the trip I took up towards pica duarte and the waterfalls on a moto was like an outer body expérience and blissfully unforgetable .

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
Amazing is an understatement ! I stayed at Los Colinas my last trip and although its hardly a Ritz Carlton , the views from my balcony were just surreal but the trip I took up towards pica duarte and the waterfalls on a moto was like an outer body expérience and blissfully unforgetable .
You should climb it, Pico Duarte. It's a pilgrimage

Luz del mundo

Banned
Apr 4, 2022
Dominican Republic
There is a new book out - SEED MONEY -- by Barton Elmore
Which is Very Important READING
for anyone in the government who is interested in developing Constanza as a tourist area... (which it should be)

Because the farmers are using

..."The price of gasoline is now at 197.5 (5.80 dollars) pesos per gallon which affects the cost of production. "All the water must be pumped from the canals or holding ponds," said Rosado, pointing to the small pumps at the side of one pond.

Asked about gravity-fed systems, Rosado said, "Some farmers have installed some systems for that but not many. You still have to pump the water. And the price of oil also affects the price of fertiliser and transportation."

Hugo Arriasa Morales, of NRECA International, an NGO which works on installing rural energy systems, says that solar energy can help reduce the costs of production.

"We are working to install a small hydroelectric system in Constanza. And if a group of farmers, perhaps 20, combine for a solar system, we can help them greatly reduce costs of production," he said. "...

But I think I omitted the issue of the agricultural fumes -- since I was there for a week, and most tourists are only there for a overnight - so I decided I could leave it out and still have an authentic piece.

It would be GREAT if someone could add to this thread!! (there were at least 2 lovely hotels -I am confident they are both there.

Anyway - PLEASE PASS THIS INFORMATION to

You should climb it, Pico Duarte. It's a pilgrimage
No doubt ! I believe its atleast a few days rountrip in duration not to mention the bone chilling temperatures..
Ive done some nice treks in this country but that one I think Ill keep inside the realm of a day dream accompanied by cold beer in hand and backside on a plastic chair lol.

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
No doubt ! I believe its atleast a few days rountrip in duration not to mention the bone chilling temperatures..
Ive done some nice treks in this country but that one I think Ill keep inside the realm of a day dream accompanied by cold beer in hand and backside on a plastic chair lol.
It's best done over 2 or mostly 3+ days but it's well worth the effort. I'd suggest slower if you ever decide to give it a go. Daydreaming is good though ;)

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Heavy pesticide. Hopefully not DDT or something really toxic… so strawberries, broccoli, etc from Constanza should be washed well. Like most f/v
Indeed they do. Strawberries often find their way to the street corners here in Santiago where they are openly sold for a fraction of the supermarket price however several people have warned me to make sure they are cleaned properly prior to consumption due to all of the chemicals/ pesticides they contain.
Otherwise you may find yourself making a trip to the emergency room

Reactions: Gadfly

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Ok thx. since I always find bugs in my broccoli & cauliflower here I thought they didn’t use alot of pesticides like in usa. Thought the soil here did not have a lot of crop destroying insects/beetles. I had heard the tomato’s here have very little pesticides. I cud b wrong …

• Haha
Reactions: mountainannie

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
I’ve pondered the possibilities of poor farmers here buy cheap old stocks of DDT from china or some craziness like that. Probably false, but…. I wash ‘em well

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Ok thx. since I always find bugs in my broccoli & cauliflower here I thought they didn’t use alot of pesticides like in usa. Thought the soil here did not have a lot of crop destroying insects/beetles. I had heard the tomato’s here have very little pesticides. I cud b wrong …
lots of veggies eating insects here. My cabbage gets eaten quickly, my tomatoes are pretty safe because our gardener sprays garlic, soap, and vinegar mix of them and it works quite well.

Lou2100

Sep 21, 2020
Toronto
lots of veggies eating insects here. My cabbage gets eaten quickly, my tomatoes are pretty safe because our gardener sprays garlic, soap, and vinegar mix of them and it works quite well.
Staying in jarabacoa, would it be worth a day trip to CONSTANZA or would I find the same fruits and veggies in jarabacoa ? The mention of the view wondering which has a better over views jarabacoa or CONSTANZA. I do not mean trekking to a waterfall but what has been described, the views from the places they have stayed?
@bob saunders

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Staying in jarabacoa, would it be worth a day trip to CONSTANZA or would I find the same fruits and veggies in jarabacoa ? The mention of the view wondering which has a better over views jarabacoa or CONSTANZA. I do not mean trekking to a waterfall but what has been described, the views from the places they have stayed?
@bob saunders
The road is very curvy and for me, kind of fun, but lots of blind corners and it is very important to stay on your side of the road. I think you would find better onions, garlics, potatoes, and carrots in the roadside stands near Constanza, better fruit in Jarabacoa. It isn't that far, so easy to daytrip.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
The road is very curvy and for me, kind of fun, but lots of blind corners and it is very important to stay on your side of the road. I think you would find better onions, garlics, potatoes, and carrots in the roadside stands near Constanza, better fruit in Jarabacoa. It isn't that far, so easy to daytrip.
What about auyama Bob

Luz del mundo

Banned
Apr 4, 2022
Dominican Republic
@bob saunders
Personally I love Constanza !
Its referred to as the Dominican Alps for a reason and its unparalled diversity in terms of climate , produce , fauna , stunning scenary and views and a virtually " gringo less " ambiance gives it a huge advantage over Jarabacoa imho.
Jarabacoa is a beautiful place and much easier to get to but , its a bit too compact with much fewer options for personal enjoyment in the town center and quickly becoming over run by gringos .
I was in Constanza 2 weeks ago and although I love teking into the hills , I truly love the town itself and the overall vibe..
However , the views alone are worth the trip to buy a box of strawberries .
I stayed at Las Colinas hotel.which is hardly a Hilton but the panoramic view from the balcony and my room made it feel as if I was in a 5 star Swiss Chalet.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Personally I love Constanza !
Its referred to as the Dominican Alps for a reason and its unparalled diversity in terms of climate , produce , fauna , stunning scenary and views and a virtually " gringo less " ambiance gives it a huge advantage over Jarabacoa imho.
Jarabacoa is a beautiful place and much easier to get to but , its a bit too compact with much fewer options for personal enjoyment in the town center and quickly becoming over run by gringos .
I was in Constanza 2 weeks ago and although I love teking into the hills , I truly love the town itself and the overall vibe..
However , the views alone are worth the trip to buy a box of strawberries .
I stayed at Las Colinas hotel.which is hardly a Hilton but the panoramic view from the balcony and my room made it feel as if I was in a 5 star Swiss Chalet.
Yes, the panoramic views in Constanza are great and it seems less congested with traffic and less crowded. Supposedly the crime rate is lower as well.

Reactions: Luz del mundo

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I spent another long weekend in Constanza not long ago. Wonderfully boring and I could do it for the rest of my life.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Constanza is favorite for this poster and wife. It has what is needed to keep a visitor occupied, comfortable,, with splendid scenery without the touristy overkilled. The central market is the place to stock up on fresh produce during stay and before leaving the area.

Regards,

PJT

Reactions: Luz del mundo