Constitutional Court gives Congress two years to pass law to institute referendum mechanism

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019

A referendum is a direct and universal vote in which an entire electorate is invited to vote on a particular proposal. The referendum may result in the adoption of a new policy or specific law. The referendum vote was included in the 2010 Constitution and maintained in the 2015 Constitution. Its implementation requires the previous passing of a law. The referendum is mentioned in articles 97, 203, 210 and 272 of the Dominican Constitution.

Art. 97 of the Dominican Constitution establishes the right of the people to introduce legislation. It establishes that citizens representing at least 2% of the electoral roll may propose bills to Congress. Yet it conditions this to a special law that needs to establish the procedures and restrictions for the exercise of this right.

Article 203 of the Dominican Constitution establishes the universal vote in referendums...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

JD Jones

Moderator - Covid 19 in DR & North Coast
Jan 7, 2016
Better late than never. An useful initiative that should have been implemented long ago.
Taking into consideration how much they spend on an election here of any type, I have mixed feelings about referendums.

Reactions: Naked_Snake

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Taking into consideration how much they spend on an election here of any type, I have mixed feelings about referendums.
I suppose that could be solved by establishing a high enough signature cap before any motion of approval/removal can be made into referendum.

Yourmaninvegas

I am here to protect and serve
Feb 16, 2016
-
Would not the logical thing be to simply include the referendum on the ballot in the normal election cycle ❓
Yes, I know we are talking about the 🇩🇴

Reactions: Russell