Constitutional Reform Again

~~anna~~

Oct 27, 2003
:surprised Constitutional reform again
With the 16 May election behind us, the PLD-majority Chamber of Deputies has announced that one of its priorities is to reform the Dominican Constitution. PRSC deputy Luis Gonzalez Sanchez said they would not wait for President Leonel Fernandez to present a draft to Congress on 16 August, when he begins his new term. As reported in Diario Libre, the representative for Bahoruco province said that they would retake a five-year old bill and merge it with the year-old draft prepared by a group of experts convened by President Leonel Fernandez. It is expected that the bill will enable Fernandez to run for another term. The Dominican Constitution currently only allows a presidential candidate to run for two consecutive elections.
The Deputies announced they would resume work after having been off in April and May for participation in the electoral campaign.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is from yesterday's DR1 news. Does anyone else find this perhaps a bit alarming. This is not a slam in anyway against Leonel; but given this country's history, is this really a good idea?

davidleemac58

Nov 7, 2007
Add Another Term

My girlfriend is Dominican and prior to May 16 said that if Lionel won the electionhewould seek to change the constitution. To me this is very scary and may also be for people thinking about investing in the Dominican Republic. Are we sure he will not end up being another dictator there.. How would this effect foreign investment????:pirate::eek:gre:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
There is all sorts of speculation, including that President Fernandez would support his wife, lawyer Margarita Cedeno opting for the Presidency in 2012. To her credit, she has a good track record in office, implementing several projects from the Office of the First Lady. The bottom line is that the PLD is majority in Congress and the party will decide. Personally, I feel it is unfortunate the issue of reforming the Constitution is brought up, when Congress has many more pressing issues to work on.

Pana

Feb 12, 2005
This is not good at all now it is looking like he is a dictor/emperor I thought 2 terms where enough but 3 and now a possible 4th term.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My most pressing fear is that they will unite congressional and municipal elections. this will make coattailing all the more serious.
In my opinion, it is most important that the voting public have a chance to voice disapproval or approval through the municipal and congressional voting process. Otherwise, it is an all or nothing proposition, and that, frankly, suks...

If the government is going good, the people are happy, money is flowing, prices are under control, then we elect the officials that we want for our local offices....

I would be unhappy with the current wife, just as money happy as her hubby, trying to win office, but I do not think she could be elected if the other party(s) got their act together.

HB

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
I wish I could say that I'm surprised. I'm not.

Over the recent decades Dominican politicians of all stripes have shown themselves all too willing to alter the constitution at will, however it suits them, whenever some provision in it proves "inconvenient."

Viewed from this perspective, those in long-term relationships with the country (or contemplating them) must ask themselves just how solid and enduring their constitutional rights and protections truly are...

I remember when (not that long ago) Leonel and the PLD championed term limits as a necessary check against abuse of power. Sad to see them sacrifice principle and look more and more like those that they opposed for so many years....

sunlover23

Sep 13, 2005
Do Foreign property owners need to worry?

I own property in the DR,but I'm resident in the UK.If Leonel changes the constitution in what way could it affect us as property owners?Do I need to get nervous?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Highly unlikely any provision would be included in the Constitution that would affect foreign ownership in the DR.

Bayx-**

May 30, 2008
It doesn't matter how many times they reform the Constitution in DR , that would not change anything. It's the dominicans that need to get reform. They don't know to follow the law.