Construction Supplies - Residential

Status
Not open for further replies.

danely18

Feb 22, 2018
Hello All:
I am starting to pencil out the costs of building a custom house with pool on the North Coast, probably Sosua/Cabarete area....if anybody experienced at this here would like to recommend contractor supply companies in the area, I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction so I can rough out materials costs before talking to contractors....thanks for any suggestions.

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
In Sosua, Ferriteria Luciano. In Cabarete, Linares. For a large construction job it might be better to order from Ochoa in Santiago if you are ordering by the truck load. Good luck with the project!

Reactions: danely18

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Hello All:
I am starting to pencil out the costs of building a custom house with pool on the North Coast, probably Sosua/Cabarete area....if anybody experienced at this here would like to recommend contractor supply companies in the area, I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction so I can rough out materials costs before talking to contractors....thanks for any suggestions.

Any good architect worth his salt, can provide you rough estimates on materials.
You can use a 20% increase on that estimate to hedge buy the materials at Ochoa (best choice for builders) for the majority of materials other than blocks (you can buy direct if you have where to put them) that you can buy at the block factories.

Hedge buying at Ochoa will save you a ton of money by pre-buying materials at current prices and having a future date delivery as your project starts. This insulates you from having to revise the budget due to price increases in mid to long term.

Depending on finishes, there are many choices to be had and places to get them from. The base structure continues to be the same materials.

Always best to build than to buy existing homes.
You have no idea how many corners got cut or material quality in those existing builds.

Most people buy the lots not the houses on it. They plan to clear the property and build their custom home.

Keep that in mind! What you really buy is the land!

danely18

Feb 22, 2018
Any good architect worth his salt, can provide you rough estimates on materials.
You can use a 20% increase on that estimate to hedge buy the materials at Ochoa (best choice for builders) for the majority of materials other than blocks (you can buy direct if you have where to put them) that you can buy at the block factories.

Hedge buying at Ochoa will save you a ton of money by pre-buying materials at current prices and having a future date delivery as your project starts. This insulates you from having to revise the budget due to price increases in mid to long term.

Depending on finishes, there are many choices to be had and places to get them from. The base structure continues to be the same materials.

You have no idea how many corners got cut or material quality in those existing builds.

Most people buy the lots not the houses on it. They plan to clear the property and build their custom home.

Good points, all....thanks....it hadn't crossed my mind to buy existing crap, and then scrape the lot!

danely18

Feb 22, 2018

??Where is Ochoa?....You brought up the next question....known architects...any suggestions?...I'll search here of course too////

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I am a property person, and I went to DR thinking "I know all about property, let me just buy this old wreck and rebuild it". I could write a book about all the things that went wrong. Nothing works in DR like it does in other countries, at least in terms of building. Unless you really are looking for a project to take up a lot of time and give you a big adventure, unless you are going to supervise it personally, and you know how to supervise building projects, and unless you speak fluent Spanish, I honestly would advise against building.

Reactions: Drperson and johne

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I am a property person, and I went to DR thinking "I know all about property, let me just buy this old wreck and rebuild it". I could write a book about all the things that went wrong. Nothing works in DR like it does in other countries, at least in terms of building. Unless you really are looking for a project to take up a lot of time and give you a big adventure, unless you are going to supervise it personally, and you know how to supervise building projects, and unless you speak fluent Spanish, I honestly would advise against building.
You just have to do due diligence, like ANYWHERE. Finding a GOOD MAESTRO can be a challenge for sure. You get what you pay for, it is better to pay more for a good maestro with a proven track record than think you'll do better saving a few thousand pesos. Same with materials, better to pay for quality products ,like good tiles and plumbing fixtures. I have a construction background many years ago, as a bricklayer and labourer for a general contractor.

Reactions: scotia

danely18

Feb 22, 2018
I hear you...if I do it, I'll have a proper architect/engineering firm and contractor...AND be all over it.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
It's a good idea BUT...what YOU think is "crap" is GOLD to the seller. Now, the good idea becomes one of those "it can only happen in the DR".

Did this so many times I can’t recall the exact numbers.

A single family home in a good location will be about the same price as any empty lot in the same area. People sell you the value of the lot as if it was built on it.

I tend to buy based on the lot/home value in the area and raze the property. My experience with existing builds, is that you’ll never stop doing upgrades and repairs.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003

Building a home in the DR is much easier than any other country I’d been to.

You have multiple choices:
Get it done all by a builder/contractor
Do it yourself
Have the architect supervise the builder on your dime
Have a good maestro de obra with supervision
Etc…

Best choice is to have the architect supervise the builder and that gives you a quality and safe built.

You control de quality of materials and therefore the speed of construction.

The only two times things slow down, is when the foundation is poured and the roof as well(or any other floors thereafter).

It’s very satisfying work!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

Do it yourself
Etc…

Best choice is to have the architect supervise the builder and that gives you a quality and safe built.

The only two times things slow down, is when the foundation is poured and the roof as well(or any other floors thereafter).

Sorry for dumb question...
What is the difference between Maestro de obra and Ingeniero?

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019

Do it yourself
Etc…

Which is fine, except when the architect talks a good talk and is actually useless. or when the builder quotes and then decides to double his price. Come on guys, you live here, you know how things work in DR. Nothing works smoothly.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Which is fine, except when the architect talks a good talk and is actually useless. or when the builder quotes and then decides to double his price. Come on guys, you live here, you know how things work in DR. Nothing works smoothly.

You need a better architect… Like I said before, reputation is gold in the DR.

Builder has little control of prices for materials, when you didn’t hedge but, like I indicated.
He didn’t charge more on a whim, he did so due to price increases from the suppliers. His contract details that in it.

Like I said, buy the materials with a future delivery date(hedge buy) from Ochoa and this will save you lots of money in a long term project.
If a builder wants to increase labor or equipment costs, you can shop for another builder. It’s in the contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.