Conversion from Temporary to Permanent Status

Aug 21, 2007
I was told by my lawyer that you can just keep renewing a one year residency, if you want. For me, Dr migración is the armpit of the world. Thus, I decided to go the permanent route so at some point (after this year) my visit is after 4 years, and then 10, if I live that long.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I was told by my lawyer that you can just keep renewing a one year residency, if you want. For me, Dr migración is the armpit of the world. Thus, I decided to go the permanent route so at some point (after this year) my visit is after 4 years, and then 10, if I live that long.
That's why I did mine for so long. Truth be told, I have a person who helps me with mine who used to work in Immigration, and she cruises through the process because she knows everybody there.

But still, the less I have to go, the better.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Yes, you can renew your temporary residency for as long as you like, but I am planning on going for permanent this year, also. I hate that trip to SD every year. If it weren't for residency renewal, I would never go to SD.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
The only true permanent residency is citizenship. Green card holders in the US have to renew every 10 years also.
That’s very true. And then one has to seriously think about the implications of becoming a Dominican citizen. Saving the paperwork at DGM doesn’t seem a good enough reason to me.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Then again, maybe I should say the heck with it and go back to the states. Looks like they're having a lot of fun!!

I've never even heard that term before.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Then again, maybe I should say the heck with it and go back to the states. Looks like they're having a lot of fun!!

I've never even heard that term before.
That’s not really relevant for the thread because you don’t need Dominican residency papers to spend prolonged time here and get away from the cold.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you have the 10 year "Definitive Residency", I don't see much point in going for citizenship either.
When I went for 10 year permanent residency, that was when Migracion screwed me. And I became a citizen.
I never have to deal with those people again.

Others can certainly spend as much time here without being here legally if they want to. So far that doesn't seem to matter.

Reactions: aarhus

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I am talking about the Bahamas.... not RD
Ah ok sorry. Because you wouldn’t want the tax implications of having a property here in a DR company and the lawyer should inform you of the implications when you then want to sell the property and what happens to the DR company and again the tax implications. At least it’s not worth it for the purpose of getting recidency in the DR. If you are going to be a big property investor in the DR and the recidency issue is a secondary bonus then it’s different.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Basically, my only reason for for citizenship was to avoid Migracion & renewal....

Do I really want to be 80+ and renewing ...... ????
NO!!!

Reactions: windeguy

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Basically, my only reason for for citizenship was to avoid Migracion & renewal....

Do I really want to be 80+ and renewing ...... ????
NO!!!
It’s partly for the same reason I decided not to renew and be a visitor from now.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
That’s very true. And then one has to seriously think about the implications of becoming a Dominican citizen. Saving the paperwork at DGM doesn’t seem a good enough reason to me.
What implications? And yes, saving the "paperwork at DGM" is wonderful, and basically the only reason why I did it. It's wonderful not having to be even bothered by that, and although yes you could just stay here as a "tourist", as nobody seems to care, you can do business here anyways. But then comes the day when a administration decides to enforce the migration law (and well it might be slim that it happens, but you never know for sure). So it's nice to not have to worry about that at all.

Reactions: cavok

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
What implications? And yes, saving the "paperwork at DGM" is wonderful, and basically the only reason why I did it. It's wonderful not having to be even bothered by that, and although yes you could just stay here as a "tourist", as nobody seems to care, you can do business here anyways. But then comes the day when a administration decides to enforce the migration law (and well it might be slim that it happens, but you never know for sure). So it's nice to not have to worry about that at all.
I had it almost 15 years because I had a business here and was here most of the year most of those years. Now I am just planning to visit some months of the year so I have decided not to renew. The DR is a strange place where serious respectable law firms refer to laws as laws that are never enforced. Did anybody ever get deported for overstaying a tourist visa? But I understand what you mean. I also believed it and it was one of my reasons to have legal residency. Part of my reason to not renew is to not have to deal with paperwork again at the DGM.