Cooking Class #2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Parmagiano ??

The difference between these cheeses is that Parmigiano Reggiano cheese is the real deal, and Parmesan cheese is an imitation of the real Parmigiano Reggiano. According to the trademark laws in Italy, the cheese cannot be called “Parmigiano Reggiano” unless it's made in Italy according to a specific recipe.Aug 4, 2012

Playero..... certainly Nacional & Jumbo

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Parmigiano Reggiano is Parmesan. But Grana Padano, is what WE use, it’s less dominant on the pasta (it’s my wife )...

I love Azua

Dec 3, 2011
Carrefour market in the downtown center in SD carries Parmigiano Reggiano. Just got some 3 weeks ago. The real deal

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
At 11:39 I suggested you bump it forward to encourage more visits.
At 11:40....Poof! There it was.
Great minds really DO think alike.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The yuca/batata slices need to be thin,,, better cooking

I think the batata takes longer to cook than yuca.... so as thin as possible there

I baked for an hour or so... and will do it a bit longer...

but overall, very good
I layered Swiss cheese on all 3 layers

OK.... had this a few times now and learned a bit

Yes - yucca thin but I also parboil it to help it along... the potatoes take lees cooking time

I like the addition of the cheese.... some may not
It was a big seller at last night's dinner ---
We went walking on the wild side & had 2 friends for dinner
We all appreciated the company.... especially the 8pm curfew.... no late stayers

Just finished it off as a lazy Sunday dinner

Oh!
ribs from Carnes Selectas in SD.... excellent
Had them sent Caribe Tours with some steaks.... easy peasy

I baked it the day before and did a 1/2 hr reheat to serve
No prep dinner really

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
What kind of "salmon", or kind of fish do they say is "salmon" that is sold at the fresh fish market in the DR.? Back before covid 19 I sent a lady to the fresh fish market and told her to call me with what they had. She called to say they had "salmon".Yeah right. It was ok but since I have eaten salmon all my adult life...I was not familiar with this fish. She insisted they call it salmon. ?????👨‍🎨

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Johne, if you need salmon for an easy pasta, by the salmon en lata. It does the job. If you need the recipe....

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Yes, I understand both of the above posts. What I don't know is what fish did I get that the FRESH fish stand in Guaycanes call "salmon". Being from the NE of USA I know may kind of salmon is a cold water fish. But.....still same question.

Oct 11, 2010
Yes, I understand both of the above posts. What I don't know is what fish did I get that the FRESH fish stand in Guaycanes call "salmon". Being from the NE of USA I know may kind of salmon is a cold water fish. But.....still same question.

Silk Snapper

Oct 11, 2010
Sorry no. That is just another name for red snapper that we have in abundance. I'll take a picture the next time I buy "salmon".

Silk Snapper is not "just another name for red snapper" it is a separate species. Up here on the north coast all the locals call both Silk Snapper and Red Snapper, as well as others, "Salmon". Silk snapper is more abundant in our local waters. The picture should clear things up.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
One pan Shrimp Orzo

I cut back on the salt a bit
Use the shrimp shells for the stock..... peel before cooking

Frying/browning the orzo is key

Easy, quick , delicious

1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon lemon zest, plus 1 tablespoon juice (from 1 lemon)
  • ½ teaspoon red-pepper flakes
  • Kosher salt and black pepper
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 cup orzo
  • ⅓ cup dry white wine
  • 2 cups boiling water, seafood stock or chicken stock
  • 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley

Ingredient Substitution Guide

Preparation​

1. In a medium bowl, stir together shrimp, 1 tablespoon olive oil, lemon zest, red-pepper flakes, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and half the garlic. Set aside to marinate. (This step can be done up to 1 hour in advance.)
  2. Add butter, remaining olive oil and remaining garlic to a medium skillet set over medium heat. When the butter starts to bubble, add the orzo and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring often, until the orzo is toasted, about 2 minutes, adjusting the heat as necessary to prevent the garlic from burning. Carefully add the wine — it will bubble — and stir until absorbed, about 1 minute. Stir in water, reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until orzo is al dente, about 12 minutes.
  3. Add the shrimp in a snug, even layer on top of the orzo, cover, and cook until all the shrimp is pink and cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, 2 minutes.
  4. Sprinkle with parsley and lemon juice, season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Señor Webster,
Have you begun working on a Christmas menu for this year?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Not my specialidad really...

But we got a pre-brined, organic frozen turkey (a la ButterBall) on the weekend
Having a Christmas day get together for a few people

I'll do the batata/potato scalloped dish I suppose

Wife makes a great pineapple & mango crisp dessert....

Reactions: Caonabo

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I mentioned this above -

I convert a scalloped potato recipe to yucca....
sliced onion, one layer of cheese, chicken stock & cream, salt/pepper

I parboil the yucca first to reduce the oven time
Yucca = waaay more cooking time than potatoes