Cops nab thousands of curfew violators

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Thousands of persons were caught on the street at 5pm, the new curfew hour set for Saturdays and Sundays. Transportation and Traffic Safety Agency (Digesett) officers arrested hundreds.

Newspaper reporters were watching as hundreds of vehicles were hurrying to get home when they were stopped by members of the National Police or a Digesett agent. Agents on the Juan Bosch and Duarte bridges that cross the Ozama river were having a field day, and the traffic was really tied up. At the bridges, dozens of persons were detained.

Monday through Friday, the curfew is 7pm to 5am, but on Saturdays and Sundays it begins earlier at 5pm.

Social media sites reported that on Saturday there was major traffic tie-ups until after 6:00 p.m., especially on major avenues such as the Charles DeGaulle, the San Isidro highway and others.

Read more in Spanish:Diario Libre ...

Continue reading...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I’m curious as to what happens to all the vehicles these people arrested were in? Sounds like a logistical nightmare.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I’m curious as to what happens to all the vehicles these people arrested were in? Sounds like a logistical nightmare.
Not sure about the vehicles but I can tell you exactly what they are doing with the people who they arrest for violating
the curfew. They detain them, take them to the station then lock them in a cell with as many other violators as they can
fit inside regardless of whether or not they are sick. These same people will be all be released the following morning back
into the general population, some on the buses. some to the gua gua's and some may even be preparing or handling your
next meal.
Like everything else in the DR...
Its one step forward, two steps backwards.

Reactions: Andre14615

Andre14615

Banned
May 31, 2019
Not sure about the vehicles but I can tell you exactly what they are doing with the people who they arrest for violating
the curfew. They detain them, take them to the station then lock them in a cell with as many other violators as they can
fit inside regardless of whether or not they are sick. These same people will be all be released the following morning back
into the general population, some on the buses. some to the gua gua's and some may even be preparing or handling your
next meal.
Like everything else in the DR...
Its one step forward, two steps backwards.
Smh what a mess

Reactions: CristoRey

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Throw them in jail and make Covid patients out of them - the exact thing they are trying to prevent

Reactions: zoomzx11

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Throw them in jail and make Covid patients out of them - the exact thing they are trying to prevent
What else could the cops do?
Be interesting to test and trace the ones they caught out and about then publish the results in the news media.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
But hopefully it deters more people from violating curfew.

It doesn't. Most here are incapable of any sort of advanced planning or forward thinking. As a result they leave too late to get home before the curfew starts. Those who are at home can find any excuse to leave home at a moments notice. It seems that the curfew is not much of a deterrent to those who just don't care. These people should be arrested and housed ina large open space building (like a stadium) so they can maintain some distance between people. A crowded cell is both unpleasant and counter productive. All we get from this is more virus spread.

Reactions: XTraveller

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
The ignorance of the politicians and police Just gets better every day. Common sense would say issue warnings during a two hour window between 5 And 7. After 7 kick a$$ and take names. Dominicans are usually an hour late so this should be figured into the curfew.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It must be possible to be out during the curfew and not encounter any police. I'd say driving is a big risk of being stopped at a check point but walking around your neighborhood is probably fairly risk free if you hunker into the shadows if the PN rolls by. I have no doubt that some excuses are accepted for being out during curfew hours others might not be. Probably matters who you are and how much change is in your pocket. Clearly lots of people think it is just fine to be out when they are not supposed to be or there would be no one to catch. I don't recall any press mentioning that foreigners have been detained.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
More or less.

In the Borojol neighborhood they force the police to withdraw

Inhabitants of the Borojol neighborhood of the National District launched it with bottles and stones against members of the National Police that yesterday afternoon penetrated that community to impose order, due to the number of people who were on the streets, drinking and having fun , in violation of the curfew. They literally waited for the Calm City units and as soon as they entered, youth and adults who were enjoying themselves on the sidewalks and the same roads without masks, attacked the agents, who responded by firing rubber bullets to defend themselves.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
It doesn't. Most here are incapable of any sort of advanced planning or forward thinking. As a result they leave too late to get home before the curfew starts. Those who are at home can find any excuse to leave home at a moments notice. It seems that the curfew is not much of a deterrent to those who just don't care. These people should be arrested and housed ina large open space building (like a stadium) so they can maintain some distance between people. A crowded cell is both unpleasant and counter productive. All we get from this is more virus spread.
Here in Jarabacoa there are press sending live video who travel with the police. The police don't even leave the station until 15 to 25 minutes after the curfew siren that goes off at 5 after 5.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010

They should lock them up in a baseball stadiums patrol by military for 14 days and poorly feed them, no cell phones, no visits..Every day for them should be military style boot camp and when rest time comes up videos on overcrowded hospitals and people sick with covid 19. The ones that do prove to be sick sent to military hospital.
The youths that repeatably break the curfew will think twice about it when their friends are lock up for 14 days.

This would solve the curfew breakers and at the same time help control the virus!

Xtraveller

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
XT, I agree the sanctions for breaking curfew need to be tougher, but I'm not sure what measures would be sufficient to change public attitude. I'd much rather see more personal restraint during the day. Still far too many people needlessly wandering about during the non curfew hours.