Coronavirus - In the DR

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The hotter it gets the less mask people
will be wearing. I'm looking forward to it.
Half the people in my neighborhood have
not worn a mask outside since day one and i'm expecting
to see even less people wearing them by the time i return in late august.
I would even in the poor barrio about two block from me about 90% of people wear them outside.

Reactions: John Boyter

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think we can debate / challenge a lot of things
Most recent German comments say 7 day not 14 day quarantine is good enough

But the mask seems to be effective....
not as prevention from getting CV19 - but to stop the wearer spreading it easily

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Here's a bit more on masks....etc

I think the opening sentence expresses the way we all feel - but may say it differently
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When experts recommend wearing masks, staying at least six feet away from others, washing your hands frequently and avoiding crowded spaces, what they’re really saying is: Try to minimize the amount of virus you encounter.
The immune system can see off a few viral particles without making you sick. But how much is needed for an infection to take root?
It wouldn’t be ethical for scientists to expose people to different doses of the coronavirus, as they do with milder cold viruses. Common respiratory viruses, like influenza and other coronaviruses, should offer some insight. But researchers have found little consistency.
For SARS, also a coronavirus, the estimated infective dose is just a few hundred particles. For MERS, it is much higher, on the order of thousands.
The new coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2, is more similar to SARS and, therefore, the infectious dose may be hundreds of particles, Dr. Rasmussen said.
But the virus has a history of defying predictions.
Generally, people who harbor high levels of pathogens — whether from influenza, H.I.V. or SARS — tend to have more severe symptoms and are more likely to pass on the infection.

But with the new coronavirus, people who have no symptoms may have just as much virus in their bodies as those who are seriously ill, some studies suggest.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
But with the new coronavirus, people who have no symptoms may have just as much virus in their bodies as those who are seriously ill, some studies suggest.
It is because of those large number of asymptomatic that the social distancing guidelines will not be effective in the long run and more waves are and will continue to happen.

Reports indicate it takes about 15 minutes of being in close proximity to a contagious person to become infected.

Reports indicate that getting the disease from surfaces is a bit less likely than thought before.

Reports indicate that those infected are far more contagious for only a short period of time.

There are many details on this pathogen still not known that reports still do not indicate.

One thing is for sure, people will only be kept in "Social Distancing Isolation" for so long. Unless maybe they are Japanese - they seem OK with that.

Caonabo

Silver
Sep 27, 2017
My homeland Norway follows the advice from the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, and their own experts, masks are not considered important and do not recommend those for the general public, but they are open to consider further research that can lead to another decision. So far they are doing quite well without masks.

Based on the lack of evidence, it has so far not been recommended that people who are not ill or who are not providing care to a patient should wear a mask to reduce influenza or COVID-19 transmission.

But nothing wrong with wearing a mask, it will give you protection as stated in this thread IF weared correctly and IF it is a proper medical mask and IF it is maintained/changed as required.

That is my understanding, I have followed the DR rules here and wear panties/fabric/mask when I am outside. In Norway I would not.

I have not a medical mask and is not interested in one before some agency/research shows me that I really should.

No problem understanding that someone else prefer to wear one. This is a new situation, nobody knows all the answers
"I have followed the DR rules here and wear panties/fabric/mask when I am outside. In Norway I would not."

Did I read this correctly?

Oh, the things people do in foreign lands.

etolw

Oct 6, 2018
Because Germany realized there is a highly contagious period within 7 days.
Because Germany says so, that's why Germany says so? :unsure:

Or are they saying so because windy said it? Hmm
Personen, die aus einem Staat außerhalb der Staatengruppe nach Abs. 4 in den Freistaat Bayern einreisen, sind verpflichtet, sich unverzüglich nach der Einreise auf direktem Weg in die eigene Wohnung oder eine andere geeignete Unterkunft zu begeben und sich für einen Zeitraum von 14 Tagen nach ihrer Einreise ständig dort abzusondern; dies gilt auch für Personen, die in den Freistaat Bayern aus einem anderen Land der Bundesrepublik Deutschland oder einem Staat der Staatengruppe nach Abs. 4 einreisen und sich in den letzten 72 Stunden vor der Einreise in einem Staat außerhalb der Staatengruppe nach Abs. 4 aufgehalten haben.“

The above quote from
Ordinance amending the Entry Quarantine Ordinance dated 15 May 2020.

Where is the updated official statement, sorry to ask but my google fu failed me this time...

Reactions: habi

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
"I have followed the DR rules here and wear panties/fabric/mask when I am outside. In Norway I would not."

Did I read this correctly?

Oh, the things people do in foreign lands.
People in foreign lands --- and here

I notice recently - in my area.... there are more 'bra-less' women
can't speak to the panties ... but am informed that - Yes - less ropas interior being worn

A new freedom?
Cuarantena stress relief?
Pent up sexual desire?

It's a topic I may need to apply my skills to.... case studies - so to speak
Face to face / person to person interviews to determine the root of the problem

I will accept applications for internship.....in the study

CristoRey

Silver
Apr 1, 2014
Here's a bit more on masks....etc

I think the opening sentence expresses the way we all feel - but may say it differently
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When experts recommend wearing masks, staying at least six feet away from others, washing your hands frequently and avoiding crowded spaces, what they’re really saying is: Try to minimize the amount of virus you encounter.
The immune system can see off a few viral particles without making you sick. But how much is needed for an infection to take root?
It wouldn’t be ethical for scientists to expose people to different doses of the coronavirus, as they do with milder cold viruses. Common respiratory viruses, like influenza and other coronaviruses, should offer some insight. But researchers have found little consistency.
For SARS, also a coronavirus, the estimated infective dose is just a few hundred particles. For MERS, it is much higher, on the order of thousands.
The new coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2, is more similar to SARS and, therefore, the infectious dose may be hundreds of particles, Dr. Rasmussen said.
But the virus has a history of defying predictions.
Generally, people who harbor high levels of pathogens — whether from influenza, H.I.V. or SARS — tend to have more severe symptoms and are more likely to pass on the infection.

Question?
I had influenza in Feb of this year.
Several of my neighbors had it as well.
Who is tracking the deaths from influenza
vs. covid1984?
Are they all being labled covid?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
What type of flu --- I had it too in February

Hi fever.... nothing above my throat....
no breathing problems but I wheezed at night.... squeaky breathing... but effortless, not constricted

I hunch it may have been the virus...
I had a coughing Asian in front of me on a flight the week before....
Seriously !!

It exhibits itself differently in every person - they say

habi

Oct 17, 2015
Personen, die aus einem Staat außerhalb der Staatengruppe nach Abs. 4 in den Freistaat Bayern einreisen, sind verpflichtet, sich unverzüglich nach der Einreise auf direktem Weg in die eigene Wohnung oder eine andere geeignete Unterkunft zu begeben und sich für einen Zeitraum von 14 Tagen nach ihrer Einreise ständig dort abzusondern; dies gilt auch für Personen, die in den Freistaat Bayern aus einem anderen Land der Bundesrepublik Deutschland oder einem Staat der Staatengruppe nach Abs. 4 einreisen und sich in den letzten 72 Stunden vor der Einreise in einem Staat außerhalb der Staatengruppe nach Abs. 4 aufgehalten haben.“

The above quote from
Ordinance amending the Entry Quarantine Ordinance dated 15 May 2020.

Where is the updated official statement, sorry to ask but my google fu failed me this time...
FYI Here in the DR it looks like they are using a mix of both, the 7/14 days... They guys whch came in with the Cruise Ships had 7 days quarantine in Boca Chica and after two negative test they where alowed to go home and have to self quarantine for an other 7 days (no idea who is checking that...).

Reactions: etolw

etolw

Oct 6, 2018
FYI Here in the DR it looks like they are using a mix of both, the 7/14 days... They guys whch came in with the Cruise Ships had 7 days quarantine in Boca Chica and after two negative test they where alowed to go home and have to self quarantine for an other 7 days (no idea who is checking that...).
7 days hotel gubmint and 7 days quarantined at home, equals 14 days quarantine total, not 7?

Last ferry flight from Spain allowed those who could document a recent PCR test to go home all 14 days of the quarantine.

I have not found any information on the German 7 days, as mentioned here.
Not true I believe