Coronavirus - In the DR

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The Dept Of Public Hedalth agrees with you....
and would like to go even further !!!

A full weekend quarantine.......
===============================================
Growing calls from medical profession for curfews and this one seems to have traction to close up shop at weekends 24 hours.

Conasalud requests state of emergency and closed quarantine due to increased COVID-19

https://www.diariolibre.com/actualidad/ … FH20050621

The National Health Coordinator (Conasalud) calls on the Dominican authorities to decree a state of emergency and a closed quarantine that includes the entire weekend, due to the impact of COVID-19.

"We call on the acting President, Danilo Medina, and the recently elected, Luis Abinader, to agree and decree a state of emergency and a closed quarantine with a curfew on weekends from Friday at 5: 00 pm until Monday at 5:00 am, for 15 days, ”demanded the representative of the National Union of Nursing Services (Unased), Sol Amantina Delgado.
Like that would help.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It's way too late to do contact tracing in the Dominican Republic. That's something they should have done when they were in quarantine months ago. But they literally did nothing but drop the ball and here we are
Have you ever been to a barrio in the DR? If you have, you would know that contact tracing would be a practical impossibility. It is hardly possible in the US where they have hired thousands of people to allegedly contact trace in perhaps a few states.

I understand the desire to grasp at straws in this frustrating situation.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Now what should we do for the next couple of years?
If you are ill stay home or if you suspect that you might be an asymptomatic carrier. Otherwise go about your business doing all the things to reduce the risk of contracting the illness or inadvertently passing it on to someone else. Stay away from each other. carry and use hand santizer often, wear your mask and wear it properly. Limit exposure to places where there are a lot of people. Go shopping when necessary and shop, don' turn it into a social exercise to meet and chat with your acquaintances. We all need social contact so screen your friends with poignant questions if they come for a visit. Sit outdoors a good distance apart limit social gatherings with friends to times when they become necessary or desirable for your mental well being.

Reactions: Tarheel

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you are ill stay home or if you suspect that you might be an asymptomatic carrier. Otherwise go about your business doing all the things to reduce the risk of contracting the illness or inadvertently passing it on to someone else. Stay away from each other. carry and use hand santizer often, wear your mask and wear it properly. Limit exposure to places where there are a lot of people. Go shopping when necessary and shop, don' turn it into a social exercise to meet and chat with your acquaintances. We all need social contact so screen your friends with poignant questions if they come for a visit. Sit outdoors a good distance apart limit social gatherings with friends to times when they become necessary or desirable for your mental well being.
Might work for you. Might work for me. For the next couple of years.

Doesn't work at all for Dominicans. Not even those in Corona, Queens, NY.... And we are in the DR.

Reactions: I love Azua

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Both the DR and the US seem unable to take the measures that other countries have adopted to stop the virus.
Americans are obsessed with their freedoms and resist being told what to do even when it makes scientific sense.
I predict the virus will be with us in force until and if there is a vaccine.
Sadly, many of the same people resisting safety measures will probably also reject the idea of having to be vaccinated.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
yes it worked so well before. how many did they pick up be in the last curfew? and what percentage do you think they actually caught. Curfew does not work if people don't abide by it.
Here in Cabarete there were work groups cleaning the streets. These were people caught breaking the curfew.

Reactions: Russell

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
Sadly, many of the same people resisting safety measures will probably also reject the idea of having to be vaccinated.
If we can force (most) bikers to wear helmets, although the helmet does not contribute to the safety of other people, why shouldn't we force people to get the vaccine, if it does contribute to the safety of others?

Reactions: drstock

NanSanPedro

Apr 12, 2019
If we can force (most) bikers to wear helmets, although the helmet does not contribute to the safety of other people, why shouldn't we force people to get the vaccine, if it does contribute to the safety of others?
It's a personal freedom issue. I got the flu shot in boot camp when I was 18. Didn't like it then and haven't had one since and have never had the flu. I won't get one for the Kung flu either.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Might work for you. Might work for me. For the next couple of years.

I am normally an optimistic person.
I cannot see a way out of this epidemic for the DR.

I am hopeful there will be a vaccine but it is not a certainty.
Aids is caused by a virus but there has never been a vaccine developed after years of effort.
Lets hope Covid does not turn out to be a hardened vaccine proof virus.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
True some need to start up and adapt.
It is very eerie here in PC. The place accomodates something like 6 million tourists each year. (I won't say it was built for that because it wasn't - it just kind of evolved). But now, of course, things are completely slow. Unused streets, unused gua guas, usused buildings, etc. Kind of like a ghost town. Gas stations and grocery stores open. And, now some hotels. But hardly noticeable.

It does need to come back. Maybe at a level that makes more sense.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
you been out of cities much. not counting the ones the helmet on the elbow, handle bars, delivery basket etc etc. even the police don't wear them half the time while they are tooling down a one way street the wrong way. and the barrios helmets are few and far between

Reactions: I love Azua

lifeisgreat

LIVING THE LIFE!
May 7, 2016
you been out of cities much. not counting the ones the helmet on the elbow, handle bars, delivery basket etc etc. even the police don't wear them half the time while they are tooling down a one way street the wrong way. and the barrios helmets are few and far between
it’s mostly North Coast Thing...

lifeisgreat

LIVING THE LIFE!
May 7, 2016
That is terrible, terrible, terrible news.
Out of article..
Prof Jonathan Heeney, a virologist at the University of Cambridge, said the study confirmed a growing body of evidence that immunity to Covid-19 is short-lived. “Most importantly, it puts another nail in the coffin of the dangerous concept of herd immunity,” he said.

“I cannot underscore how important it is that the public understands that getting infected by this virus is not a good thing. Some of the public, especially the youth, have become somewhat cavalier about getting infected, thinking that they would contribute to herd immunity. Not only will they place themselves at risk, and others, by getting infected, and losing immunity, they may even put themselves at greater risk of more severe lung disease if they get infected again in the years to come.”

austriaco

Mar 16, 2020
What I'm about to write is not a bias or criticism about DR, because I want them to be successful and healthy. From everything that I have read, the medical scientists recommend an amount of testing that will achieve a positivity rate of about 5%. Very high positivity rate indicates that the majority of the tests are performed on sick patients and therefore is not representative of the population as a whole. Al of the graphs posted above show a positivity rate of over 20%.
But with that you are just saying you have to provide as much tests as needed to get to the 5%. They need 20000 tests a day to get to that level and then they will have much more daily cases.

its not that they test the wrong persons, its they dont have enough tests so they can only test the serios ill.