Coronavirus - In the DR

lifeisgreat

Devils playground
May 7, 2016

The Republic Wednesday, July 15, 2020​

Achieving Covid test turns into a nightmare
Access to diagnostic tests for the new coronavirus COVID-19 becomes one of the worst nightmares for the population, both public and private, every day.

Appointment shifts in the private sector are increasingly remote, while in the center of greatest public response, the Dr. Defilló National Laboratory, hundreds of people line long lines daily to take samples and search for results.

The number of people who come to the center daily is increasing every day, with great riots and despair on the part of patients and families.

In many cases, to take a shift at the Dr. Defilló Laboratory, people arrive in the early morning hours.

Busy

Meanwhile, every day between 110 and 120 people go to the Respiratory Triage Unit established at the Francisco Moscoso Puello Hospital to attend and detect cases of COVID-19. From there, those who qualify are referred to one of the 15 COVID hospitals established in Santo Domingo, some of them with occupancy of up to 100 percent.

In the private sector centers where areas for COVID have been assigned, the reality is no different. An example is the General Hospital of the Plaza de la Salud, where yesterday the 18 intensive care beds dedicated to the care of these patients were occupied and the same happened with their 23 hospital beds, while in their emergency patients were waiting to be admitted.

In Cedimat, reports indicate that there is a similar occupation of their beds for the admission and care of patients with COVID.

While in Santiago the reality is even more complex and private health centers claim to be in a saturation stage. The province has about 400 beds for admissions, with an overall occupancy of over 95%, with high pressure on its capacity for intensive care beds and ventilators.

Obligation

Given the lack of response in the public sector, many patients assure that they are forced to go to private centers to access a critical care bed.

Will have beds

To expand the response of the population that requires hospitalization, the Dr. Francisco Moscoso Puello Hospital is preparing to put into operation a specialized area for hospitalization of patients affected by coronavirus, whose work is carried out in coordination with the National Health Service ( SNS).

So far, the hospital does not have admissions beds for COVID patients, but maintains a Respiratory Triage Unit that receives between 110 and 120 patients daily who come in search of emergency care after respiratory problems and performing PCR and Rapid tests free of charge. .

Once there, the center channels, through the Ministry of Public Health, the transfer to one of the COVID-19 centers available to the Public Network, when a patient requires hospitalization and also delivers the medications that patients require.

Dozens of people gather at the Dr. Defilló National Laboratory looking to get tested or withdraw the COVID results.

HOSPITALS
Enabled to attend cases

Greater Santo Domingo
The public network of COVID hospitals is made up of the District: Cecanot, Jacinto Mañón, Police hospital; Infantil Santo Socorro; Ángel Contreras Mejía hospital. in Monte Plata; Municipal Pedro Heredia Rojas, Sabana Grande Boya; the municipal of Yamasá; Rodolfo de la Cruz Lora, Pedro Brand; Ciudad Juan Bosch, Darío Contreras, Military Ramón de Lara, San Lorenzo de Los Mina, Marcelino Vélez Santana and Engombe.
That’s terrible...Hopefully Healthcare workers stay safe you can’t lose 30% of them now :(

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Am told the President will speak today and police are telling shop owners in Maranatha that they will be closing at 5 today. Of course this could be hyped up rumors but I believe the DR is going into another 15 day curfew.

lifeisgreat

Devils playground
May 7, 2016
Am told the President will speak today and police are telling shop owners in Maranatha that they will be closing at 5 today. Of course this could be hyped up rumors but I believe the DR is going into another 15 day curfew.
Heard same ...

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Quote: Jan 20

The advantage this country is it has a limited amount of international ports making screening of foreign arrivals easier. Fewer doors equals fewer screeners needed.

Lay people properly trained to spot arrivals suspected to having the illness can direct them to professionals for more scrutiny.

Let's hope this virus is not as harmful as represented and nobody gets really ill.

Regards,

PJT
Quote:

More than half a million dead worldwide. I think that makes it quite harmful
Well !!! The post was on.around January 20 and PJT's sound advice was based upon covid 19 information at that time. Nobody had a working crystal ball. We all know now health services and governments did not provide representative detail of its harm and proper precautions.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Regards,

PJT

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
Quote: Jan 20

Quote:

Well !!! The post was on.around January 20 and PJT's sound advice was based upon covid 19 information at that time. Nobody had a working crystal ball. We all know now health services and governments did not provide representative detail of its harm and proper precautions.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Regards,

PJT
Yeah that was a mistake on my behalf, I had clicked on latest posts but did not get there.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Don’t be so negative on vaccine Trump said by end of yr... moderna shows promise..
Well, if Trump says so it must be true. He's the expert and knows much better than the qualified professionals! ;):giggle:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
On a positive note: I went to Jumbo in San Pedro this morning and this is my observation. There was not one person in there without a mask. Social distances at check out and attempts at it in the aisle. All help including baggers wearing masks.
In the streets, it's hard to put a number of masks ,or no masks, but I'm going to take a guess. IMHO one person in 100 not wearing a mask. This differs substantially from the many pictures and comments posted here in the past.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Bloomberg News has a very positive story on the University of Oxford research team headed by vaccinologist Sarah Gilbert.
The study could be through with human trials of 1100 people in September.
Traditional vaccines use weakened or dead virus to stimulate the immune system.
Gilbert used a viral vector approach with a Trojan horse idea using a harmless virus that causes the common cold in chimps.
She attaches genetic material of Covid to the spike of the chimp virus that then stimulated a persons immune response.
This approach speeds the process and Bloomberg news describes Gilbert as being months ahead of the numerous other companies working to find a vaccine.
The Bloomberg article is available online and is hopeful in a time when we all want to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
This is not a light but could be a glimmer.
I do not have a link but it is easy to find the article which is lengthy.

Chirimoya

Moderator - East Coast & Headline News
Dec 9, 2002
My impression is that mask-wearing is 100% in supermarkets, clinics, banks, and commercial establishments but people are less disciplined on the streets and in social situations.

I'm taken aback by the nonsense we're hearing from other countries. Wearing a mask is less of an inconvenience than wearing a seatbelt or a motorbike helmet, and most people in those countries comply with those constraints much more unquestioningly than Dominicans!

I can understand someone complaining that it's uncomfortable but not to the point of having a full-blown tantrum in a public place and refusing to wear one.

aarhus

Traveller
Jun 10, 2008
johnboyter.com
On a positive note: I went to Jumbo in San Pedro this morning and this is my observation. There was not one person in there without a mask. Social distances at check out and attempts at it in the aisle. All help including baggers wearing masks.
In the streets, it's hard to put a number of masks ,or no masks, but I'm going to take a guess. IMHO one person in 100 not wearing a mask. This differs substantially from the many pictures and comments posted here in the past.
I see the same in Bella Vista in Santo Domingo. Generally a lot of dicipline around wearing masks, social distancing and using hand sanitizer.

stretch

Aug 25, 2005

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My impression is that mask-wearing is 100% in supermarkets, clinics, banks, and commercial establishments but people are less disciplined on the streets and in social situations.

I'm taken aback by the nonsense we're hearing from other countries. Wearing a mask is less of an inconvenience than wearing a seatbelt or a motorbike helmet, and most people in those countries comply with those constraints much more unquestioningly than Dominicans!

I can understand someone complaining that it's uncomfortable but not to the point of having a full-blown tantrum in a public place and refusing to wear one.

Exactly Chiri...... not difficult at all - a mask
Read some UK news.... they're bitching it will hurt retail..... WRONG!!

The idea of masking is -
1/ to prevent the spreaad
2/ to give the public a form of confidence to get out and resume a type of life
albeit a new type !

Where I have been in the US the past 2 weeks--- you cannot go into ANY store w/o a mask
Strictly enforced !!

Reactions: Chirimoya

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It would be nice to know what this requested 45 day S.O.E. actually means. I saw no mention that Medina would be addressing the country to explain. NO mention of a specific curfew other than shops, cafes etc have to close by 8pm. Too much uncertainty. I don't know whether to make a run to the grocery store or if I'll be able to do that another day. Will a new S.O.E. affect the borders. Not enough info being offered by the authorities. Impossible to make any sort of meaningful plans to cope with the coming changes.

Reactions: cavok and aarhus