Coronavirus - In the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
As posted within DR1 Daily News - Thursday, 23 January 2020.....

Dominican airports on alert for coronavirus

After the United States announced its first case of coronavirus, Dominican airports have scaled up to prevent the spread to the country of the respiratory virus. The symptoms are fever and cough. Good hygiene is said to be most effective at preventing catching the disease.

Aracelis Castillo de la Cruz, director general of the Specialized Corps for Airport and Civil Aviation Security (CESAC), said that airport staff is alert to the arrival of citizens, mainly from Asia, who may arrive in the country infected with the coronavirus.

"The World Health Organization has not yet taken any specific decisions, but we are implementing rather preventive measures so that people who arrive with high fever, or with possible symptoms be isolated and given special treatment," he said. The sickness starts as a cold, evolving into a pneumonia or bronchitis and does not respond to antibiotics.

The virus would have originated in the central Chinese city of Wuhan in Hubei at the end of 2019, and has now spread to Chinese cities including Beijing and Shanghai, as well as the United States, Thailand, South Korea, Japan and Taiwan.

https://hoy.com.do/aeropuertos-domin...e-coronavirus/
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/20/h...ned/index.html

maxumali

Jan 23, 2020
I am exposed daily to hundreds of grubby hands, runny noses, ...etc. Perhaps it builds up your immune system.

While there is no particular treatment for the coronavirus, recommended measures are similar to those for cold, such as rest and drinking a lot of fluid.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
In a couple more weeks we should have a better understanding of the infection and mortality rates that we are going to see from 2019-nCOV.

For reference: 1918 Spanish Flu killed 5% - 10% of those infected (depending on the source). Ebola mortality rates vary depending on the strain and environmental factors between 25% - 90%. The average morality rate for regular seasonal flu thus far in the USA this year is about 0.09% (CDC = 17,000 out of 18,000,000).

Obviously if the number of infected soars so will the resulting number of deaths. We can only wait and see how well the virus is able to spread and reproduce. Any possible vaccine is at least 4 - 6 months off. The infection rate is a product of an exponential equation, however at present, this disease does not seem to be off to the races like SARS, Swine Flu & H1N1. More time and observations are clearly called for before making any definitive proclamations.

As with any Coronavirus the best personal defense is to wash your hands well and often, keep your hands away from your face and stay away from sick people and the places where they gather - public spaces, hospitals, doctor's offices and yes that means airplanes too.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
You have hit on it.
The Coronavirus is a result of climate change for sure. Ban the oil industry now. Trust Greta

No need to ban oil....yet.
Coronavirus is here to decimate boomers, children, the weak and the fat.
The few of us that survive will be able to burn oil to our hearts contempt w/o impacting the planet.
Now all we need is the virus to kill people off faster so they don't have time to pull out of the market...... unlimited tendies for all !!!!

spanky27312

Dec 7, 2008
If some of those prostitute’s on PC get the virus, would wipe out the chica hunters.
It would solve the female mayor’s problem.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
So the gov't is saying they're working to control the spread of the virus and in the meantime, urge people to get 'flu shots. But I've seen no info on where one can be inoculated.

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
Sometimes overreaction can do more harm. I remember the SARS a while back. There was a big media hype back then but SARS did little. Some air fares were really cheap because people were afraid to travel. The Coronavirus so far killed about a hundred but the regular seasonal flue has already killed many times that. I dunno. It could fizzle out like SARS.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Sometimes overreaction can do more harm. I remember the SARS a while back. There was a big media hype back then but SARS did little. Some air fares were really cheap because people were afraid to travel. The Coronavirus so far killed about a hundred but the regular seasonal flue has already killed many times that. I dunno. It could fizzle out like SARS.

Unfortunately this is happening as DR high season tourism is beginning and trying to recover from the negative publicity of last year. The WHO was slow off the mark on this one and is playing catch-up. The UK, Canada, and the US are restricting flights to China and other areas. This will not be a short lived outbreak and, as it spreads to the Caribbean, the consequences for DR tourism could be worse then last Spring and Summer.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015

You mentioned the elephant in the room. DR high season tourism is just beginning and trying to recover from a bad Spring and Summer last year due to the negative publicity of last Winter. Many countries are stopping flights in affected countries. If a significant outbreak occurs in the Caribbean, the DR could be in for another tourism slowdown. The effect could be worse than last year’s impacts. We now how the DR government responded to last year’s negative publicity. I can’t begin to comprehend how they would respond to a coronavirus outbreak.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I'm not feeling to safe when i see the chinese at the resorts in bavaro walking around with their faces covered.....I sure hope brugal is the cure..

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Coronavirus is not a new virus. It was first discovered in the 1960's. It's been around all over the world since then.

This new strain of the virus that is going around in China and elsewhere is called 2019-nCoV.

SARS was caused by a member of the Coronavirus family of viruses (the same family that can cause the common cold). It began in February 2003 and was stopped in July of the same year.

May 4, 2018
Coronavirus is not a new virus. It was first discovered in the 1960's. It's been around all over the world since then.

This new strain of the virus that is going around in China and elsewhere is called 2019-nCoV.

SARS was caused by a member of the Coronavirus family of viruses (the same family that can cause the common cold). It began in February 2003 and was stopped in July of the same year.

This is no common cold. This is about four times more transmissable than SARS and has already infected the same number of ppl. With the number infected doubling about every five days, it will be pandemic worldwide by the end of the year. It's not as deadly as SARS, but it's not something you want share airspace on a plane for five hours either. Imagine being in a packed guagua for daily commutes.. uff.

While it's too early to tell, this one scares me.

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
This is no common cold. This is about four times more transmissable than SARS and has already infected the same number of ppl. With the number infected doubling about every five days, it will be pandemic worldwide by the end of the year. It's not as deadly as SARS, but it's not something you want share airspace on a plane for five hours either. Imagine being in a packed guagua for daily commutes.. uff.

While it's too early to tell, this one scares me.

There seem to be more reports that say it's more deadly than SARS than not as deadly. In USA alone, the regular seasonal flu has already killed about 10,000 to 20,000 according to CDC. The SARS in 2003 killed only about 800 in comparison. Even if this new coronavirus is 10 times more deadly than SARS (that I read somewhere) there still will be less deaths than the regular seasonal flu.

Last edited:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The mortality rate of any disease is directly proportional to the number of people that get infected. Seasonal flu has killed more because far more people have caught the Flu than have caught nCOV thus far. Flu is prevalent in the population year to year, nCOV is currently not.

You can't really compare the two diseases at this point in time except that the mortality rates between seasonal Flu and nCOV appears to be similar based on the limited nCOV sample available. We'll know more if and when 200,000 people have contracted nCOV.

Status
Not open for further replies.