Coronavirus - In the DR

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
So if my math is correct and the new govt doesn't change anything this new curfew extension expires on Sept. 3. Did I do the math correctly? Is that the same day as the S.O.E. expires? 20 + 25 = 45 days.

Mariahboater

Aug 7, 2020
Ontario
it depends on if you have at risk folks in your home. If no ancianos then I wouldn't worry about it. I'm hoping my 17 year old can go to school soon.
My friends are health nuts bike ride everywhere,I think there is misconception it only hurts people with underlining issues :( if it hits my family kiss my ass bye! Beer belly borderline diabetic my exercise consists of walking to beer store and washroom!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Doesn't matter who you are or what your present health condition. CV19 can and has badly affected the younger crowd and the older folks, those in good health and poor health. Catching this disease is a roll of the dice for everyone it seems. Yes some get a very mild form, but others have not been so fortunate.

Reactions: Andre14615
Sep 22, 2009
Doesn't matter who you are or what your present health condition. CV19 can and has badly affected the younger crowd and the older folks, those in good health and poor health. Catching this disease is a roll of the dice for everyone it seems. Yes some get a very mild form, but others have not been so fortunate.
Agreed Cdn. The thing with comorbid factors is this: if you for example are diabetic and hardly get sick, you most likely are not going to get a Covid death sentence. If you are the type of diabetic that always is sick, i.e. poor immune defense, then you have a greater risk. Folks that always seem to get the flu, colds, etc, will continue to do so. The Health Gods can make a finger cut scary if they want.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
My friends are health nuts bike ride everywhere,I think there is misconception it only hurts people with underlining issues :( if it hits my family kiss my ass bye! Beer belly borderline diabetic my exercise consists of walking to beer store and washroom!

Of course it's not 100%, but I'm just not worried about it. I will wash my hands more often and wear a mask in confined spaces (I do grumble about guaguas). Another poster said if you're susceptible to colds and flu, then you're probably more susceptible to this. That makes sense. BTW, I'm 65 T2 diabetes under control, I walk about 12 miles a day, and rarely get sick. I think that all helps. Everybody is different.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
25 more days of peaceful evenings. Although I must say it's very quiet here normally.
Come to my street. The neighbors at the entrance keep a lookout for police and we all run in doors. Bless WhatsApp and the Dominicans have a natural defiance of authority.

It wasn't so cool when the nightly party turned violent, but that was only one capitulo de la novela.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
So if my math is correct and the new govt doesn't change anything this new curfew extension expires on Sept. 3. Did I do the math correctly? Is that the same day as the S.O.E. expires? 20 + 25 = 45 days.
New math in the quarantine. 20 + 25 + ? = O'shyte

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I don't get your meaning. Is Sept. 3 the expiration of the curfew extension if nothing changes? Is that also the day that the state of emergency expires?
Sorry, I meant that quarantines get extended. I hope you're right and it ends after this stretch.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Young and old alike? The median age of "supposed" Wuhan Virus deaths in the U.S. is 78 years old.

Reactions: I love Azua

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010

Frog_comply-435x443.jpg

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Gary, we all know that some younger people have died and many more older people that's what a median is. Fact is that it sucks to be one of the outliers who don't quite fit into the median. There appears to be lots of those outliers if you go looking for them. It's a bit misleading to continue with the "only the elderly" script. We even have DR1 people who have been ill and they certainly are not old and they had a very rough time with this disease.

Reactions: Salsafan

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Gary, we all know that some younger people have died and many more older people that's what a median is. Fact is that it sucks to be one of the outliers who don't quite fit into the median. There appears to be lots of those outliers if you go looking for them. It's a bit misleading to continue with the "only the elderly" script. We even have DR1 people who have been ill and they certainly are not old and they had a very rough time with this disease.

I don't and have never maintained that it is "only the elderly", not my script. I do however see that those dying are PRIMARILY older and/or with extenuating circumstances i.e. here the Listin Diario reported that 30+% of deaths listed from the virus had blood pressure or other heart aliments and 20% were diabetics (that same article, I posted on DR1 twice, quoted public health officials as saying that "42% of the deaths listed as covid were """Probably""" from the virus".

I firmly believe that closing the world economy down will do far more damage to people than this Virus.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Mean or median? I think you meant mean. I'm not trying to be mean here
No, I was using the terminology from the article. The one below is not the same article I quoted but they use Median as well. It appears that the numbers are all over the place. Yet another reason I don't trust them. I have zero trust for the W.H.O or the CDC.

Sep 22, 2009
No, I was using the terminology from the article. The one below is not the same article I quoted but they use Median as well. It appears that the numbers are all over the place. Yet another reason I don't trust them. I have zero trust for the W.H.O or the CDC.

Then the median is simply the middle value and folks get confused. The middle value is far from the average. I see the article. Maybe median is used to present an intentionally skewed picture.

Reactions: KyleMackey

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Then the median is simply the middle value and folks get confused. The middle value is far from the average. I see the article. Maybe median is used to present an intentionally skewed picture.
You are correct and i think a lot of skewing the numbers is going on.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009

Some of you are just figuring this out now ?

Im glad someone has put the #s in a GRAPH. so no one can possibly misunderstand it ..
Because as a LIST ( which I posted days ago) perhaps it was too confusing ..

and again, as in my prev posts and a few others also noted
... a 15% Mortality rate is IMPOSSIBLE..... its impossible
. those countries would be on complete lock down if such a thing were real .

skewed #s ?
ya think ?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The general concensus from Garys link suggests that the DR is not doing very well in controlling the spread of CV19. Yeah, no kiddding. One of he main problems is limited testing and timely result reporting. Of course the population not cooperating by staying away from each other doesn't help. This country seems completely unable to come up with any workable strategy to temper the spread of this disease in the DR.

Reactions: zoomzx11