Coronavirus - In the DR

chico bill

Lobotomy Surgeon
May 6, 2016
Today's news in Diaro Libre
The director of the Ney Arias Lora hospital, Julio Landrón, indicated that to date deaths from traffic accidents exceed 3,600, above the deaths of the COVID-19 disease, which according to the report of the Ministry of Public Health registers 2,192 deaths

I noticed that the Swedish immunologist Anders Tegnell said about the risk of being infected with covid-19: - More dangerous to cross the street.

And he doesn't comment on the traffic situation in DR, but Sweden.

Hopefully some resources will be directed to combat traffic accidents here, if there's resources left after the covid crisis....
Ban cars. Help reduce deaths and cure global warming in one time. Ban motos too.

It won't affect the economy - not at all.

I wish all the posters wanting to keep the curfew screws tightened and the poor even poorer, did not have pensions or savings and we could see their smug piety disappear in a NY minute.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

CristoRey

Welcome to Wonderland!
Apr 1, 2014
Ban cars. Help reduce deaths and cure global warming in one time. Ban motos too.

It won't affect the economy - not at all.

I wish all the posters wanting to keep the curfew screws tightened and the poor even poorer, did not have pensions or savings and we could see their smug piety disappear in a NY minute.
I agree. Let this of happened 50 years
ago and those same people would be
begging for it to end.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Every week-end in Las Terrenas, it's one big beach/pool party, without any mask or social distancing, all those folks from Sto Dgo are dead drunk & hugging each others. If the virus was so strong, we'll all be dead by now. Something's not right here, what I hear on the media doesn't fit what I see with my eyes...

CDNBear

Bears want hugs too
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
Every week-end in Las Terrenas, it's one big beach/pool party, without any mask or social distancing, all those folks from Sto Dgo are dead drunk & hugging each others. If the virus was so strong, we'll all be dead by now. Something's not right here, what I hear on the media doesn't fit what I see with my eyes...
The DR is doing good so far, evidence in the post below

PLUS the infected from the parties in Las Terrenas are being killed in traffic when returning to SD before they can infect others:rolleyes:

dark humor aside, the risks for healthy people are not much different than other risks we deal with daily

JDJones

Moderator - Covid 19 in DR & North Coast
Jan 7, 2016
I'm sure you're aware a very large wedding in Punta Cana is considered to be one of the original sources for the pandemic here in the DR, right?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My understanding of herd immunity is all safeguards are removed and its basically let it kill those it will and the animals left get herd immunity.
Respected experts have denounced herd immunity as "dangerous and nonsense".
It is a 100 year old theory misapplied from agriculture.
I am not aware it has ever worked as theorized in humans.

People who reject masks, curfews, social distancing, hand washing and demand immediate reopening of business in general are herd immunity supporters whether they realize it or not.

In order to be in the testing process the vaccines must have already shown they are effective.
The trials are not to determine effectiveness but to ensure safety.
Imagine a vaccine that protects you against CV19 but leads to increased heart disease.
They know the vaccines work or the companies would not be spending millions of dollars to test.

Even when a vaccine has proven to work without any side effects there will always be naysayers who refuse to take it.
Annual flu vaccine is only taken by about 50% of the population and its safety and efficacy is beyond question and there are years of problem free experience as proof.
It will be very interesting to see how many people will get a CV19 vaccine shot.
It may well be that we will need much less of the vaccine than anticipated which will facilitate distribution.

The world will always have those that row upstream.
Look at how many people in the DR that smoke in the face of the overwhelming evidence.

People are fascinating.
No that is not the only truth about herd immunity. It is reached by a combination of those infected by the disease who develop long term immunity and those inoculated by an effective and long lasting vaccine. It could be just those infected, but that is not what we are talking about now.

They actually do not know how long vaccines will last because it takes more than one year to know if a vaccine lasts for one year. Nobody has a time machine to shorten that period. They can make educated guesses and hope they are correct. We have not found a way to shorten time.

Because CV19 is so infectious, estimates I have seen to reach herd immunity are in the 65% range to contain the further spread. Higher than the common flus. So more vaccines will be needed to the tune of 65% of the world's population. Quite difficult that will be.

That said, we will have no idea how long any immunity will last for a couple of years.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I'm sure you're aware a very large wedding in Punta Cana is considered to be one of the original sources for the pandemic here in the DR, right?
While I am indeed aware, something doesn't seem right. Here in LT, no one respects measures, and no one gets sick. You see all those Capitaleños, also people from SF de Macoris, they show up like crazy for booze parties, all the time, non-stop... No mask, no measures. No sick people, no one b!tches about how they got the virus in LT. Something I just don't understand, it's like a mistery...

Reactions: John Boyter

JDJones

Moderator - Covid 19 in DR & North Coast
Jan 7, 2016
While I am indeed aware, something doesn't seem right. Here in LT, no one respects measures, and no one gets sick. You see all those Capitaleños, also people from SF de Macoris, they show up like crazy for booze parties, all the time, non-stop... No mask, no measures. No sick people, no one b!tches about how they got the virus in LT. Something I just don't understand, it's like a mystery....
I don't have an answer for you. But we all know it takes a few days for symptoms to manifest themselves.

Maybe they come and party all weekend, go home then the following week it strikes. Maybe the majority of them are asymptomatic.

And it's not a reach to think some did get sick and are keeping quiet about it to avoid being splashed all over the dailies.

Your guess is as good as mine.

Last edited:
Reactions: drstock and Squat