Coronavirus - In the DR

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am under the impression that there are a number of vaccines that "work" currently in safety trials.
Russia and China had a vaccine that may or may not "work" that was released months ago.
China gave it to soldiers in the army and Russia released it to the general public.
Of course with both countries they cannot be relied on to be truthful about anything that could reflect poorly on either country.
There is no way to know if a vaccine works for a period of time if you don't wait for that period of time to see the results.
That is why it takes years to know. Giving vaccines to large amounts of people means nothing until the results are in
years down the road.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
One year? Two years? More?

We will only know in a couple of years if vaccines are really effective and that is with "warp speed" development of a vaccine

And if there ends up being no way to overcome the virus spread? What then?

And if there ends up being no way to overcome the virus spread? What then?
We continue with the status quo of masks, hand washing, social distancing to reduce the spread and continue to see cases.

The history of vaccines is that most provide good protection from becoming seriously ill but are less effective if a person has a mild response. This means that IF you get the vaccine you will still be able to spread the disease if you have the mild response.
Good news is you will be protected from becoming gravely ill.

A large number of people will refuse the vaccine and they will add to the infection rates spreading the disease.

People who refuse masks and rail against closing the parts of the economy are often the kinds of folks who will refuse the vaccine, the tough guys, the contrarians, the people who complain about loss of human rights and science deniers.
These will be the exact folks who will be in a major way responsible for what they are complaining about continuing.

Add in that vaccines are hoped be about 70/75% effective and we are can forget about vaccine herd immunity.
Only my view but it looks like we might as well get used to masks and the rest of it for at least a couple of years.
If you do not want to be disappointed then its a good time to lower your expectations.

Interesting that compliance with getting the vaccine varies with countries.
Saw a study that gave China 97% compliance, Europe 50% and the US about 45%.
About 45% of Americans now get the annual flu vaccine.

I do not know enough about Dominican culture to even guess what the response to getting a Covid vaccine might be.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
zoomzx11 - There has never been an effective coronavirus vaccine before. Maybe they have a way to create the first one that works.
They think they do.

Nobody has any idea how long any of the vaccines in development will last until time goes by to see how long they last.

All previous vaccines have taken many years to develop, distribute and verify that they have a beneficial effect.
Why will this be different?

John Boyter

Coffee break
Jun 10, 2008
johnboyter.com
The tremendous lack of tourists here will continue. There are about 9 flights a day into PUJ, normally 9 flights come in in 2 or 3 hours. People from the EU are not coming here at all. Some countries insist on 14 day quarantine coming back to their country. No one wants a vacation like that.

Regardless of the the rhetoric it will be quite awhile for the tourist trade to even come close to as it was before Covid 19.
My worst fear for the DR is if the US suddenly says only essential travel and closes its borders to countries hard hit. The DR right now depends more than usual on the US.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I am usually a compassionate person.
When foolish self centered people demonstrate zero regard for their fellow man and refuse to make behavioral changes supported by science to help others and then go on and refuse a Covid vaccine my compassion ends.
These selfish contrarians will cause more sickness, deaths and extend the pandemic for a long time.
I wear masks, intend to get the Covid vaccine and do all I can to keep everyone safe.

When the vaccine is widely distributed there will be a new most likely to become infected with the virus.
The deniers and anti vaxxers will take the number one position and deservedly so.
Going to be hard to work up a shred of sympathy when the just desserts get handed out.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
zoomzx11 - There has never been an effective coronavirus vaccine before. Maybe they have a way to create the first one that works.
They think they do.

Nobody has any idea how long any of the vaccines in development will last until time goes by to see how long they last.

All previous vaccines have taken many years to develop, distribute and verify that they have a beneficial effect.
Why will this be different?
There is a long list of effective vaccine that have been created and some for virus infections similar to Covid.
Covid does not appear to be anything like the armored AIDS virus that has eluded a vaccine.
The vaccine developers know the duration of effectiveness from their test experience. One vaccine developer has 42,000
volunteers in its trials.
The beneficial effect will be know from the results and length of the trial and that experience is weeks away from being released according to MSM.
I am concerned with beneficial effect but more concerned with the safety of the vaccine that it does not cause other issues.
The developers will know it works, to what degree and that it is safe.
I have a great deal of faith in modern medicine.
Average age at death in 1900 in the US was 49 and today it is 79.

Smallpox took two hundred years to eliminate the disease world wide and it was a safe vaccine.
Improved measles vaccine became available in 1968 and US eliminated the disease in 2000.Its a also a highly contagious virus.

It could be a long time to effectively stop the disease with a vaccine and it will be made much more difficult by people refusing the shot and ignoring as often as possible the ways in which the spread is reduced.

Unlikely it will be much different from past vaccine experience.
About all I am able to do is make certain my family is vaccinated and encourage others.
I hope the vaccine makes it way to the DR quickly and that most will vaccinate.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Look at y'day's test results
=========================
The Ministry of Public Health’s Epidemiology Department Coronavirus Bulletin #223 reports 562 new PCR confirmed cases.

6,061 first PCR tests were carried out in time for the deadline of Bulletin #223. The 14-day average is 3,541 tests.

The 24-hour positivity rate is at 9.27% and the 4-week positivity rate continues to decline and is at 11.65%, both new lows. The downward trend of active cases was interrupted, with an increase of 468 cases over the previous day. As of Tuesday, 27 October 2020 deadline the active cases are 19,926.

===========================================
Tell me again the curfew is useless........

We're doing well

And don't give me the 'Dominican Math' crap !!!

Reactions: zoomzx11