Coronavirus - In the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I am hearing different reports. My wife's friend who is a 33 year old doctor in Santiago said that the numbers are high there, and the government is under reporting the numbers. He is seeing a lot of cases. He got the Astra Zenicca vaccine in February, but he actually tested positive today after experiencing moderate symptoms and losing his sense of smell.
On the other side of the coin, friends of doctors in Bonao say that the is very very little Covid. One of her friend's dad unexpectedly died recently of a heart attack at home, but they were angry to find out that they reported the cause of death as "Covid"

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I am hearing different reports. My wife's friend who is a 33 year old doctor in Santiago said that the numbers are high there, and the government is under reporting the numbers. He is seeing a lot of cases. He got the Astra Zenicca vaccine in February, but he actually tested positive today after experiencing moderate symptoms and losing his sense of smell.
On the other side of the coin, friends of doctors in Bonao say that the is very very little Covid. One of her friend's dad unexpectedly died recently of a heart attack at home, but they were angry to find out that they reported the cause of death as "Covid"
When I die I want my death to be counted as a Covid death too... and it will.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I wonder if some of you ever hear stories like this .
A well known , and respected Doctor in his Field ..( ill name him if anyone wants it since he is deceased anyway, so no privacy applies)
FULLY VACCINATED.. Travels to India .. gets Covid and DIES.
Now mind you this is a man respected in his field .. not some IDIOT you can say " oh maybe he claims he was vaccinated and he lied "

Point is , Only reason I found out about it is because I met someone who knew him personally and was mourning the loss
... It certainly was not on the " News"

Its supposed to be extremely RARE ...
is it ?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A well known , and respected Doctor in his Field ..( ill name him if anyone wants it since he is deceased anyway, so no privacy applies)
Now mind you this is a man respected in his field .. not some IDIOT you can say " oh maybe he claims he was vaccinated and he lied "

Point is , Only reason I found out about it is because I met someone who knew him personally and was mourning the loss

is it ?
Only time will tell how rare it is.

If one believes the media, cases are falling dramatically in location of the world where people are vaccinated. Could be rare, or not. Time will tell.

Reactions: Michael DR

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

is it ?
Well, it is the first time I've heard of it happening.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010

is it ?
Or maybe it was mucormycosis- black fungus.
No 100% guarantees except on death.
I'd rather be vaccinated with Pfizer and not travel to India or Brazil at the moment.

Reactions: Michael DR

Michael DR

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Earth
I would not just blindly believe what "people" say, especially the grieving, without seeing the death certificate and comprehending what it and any notations actually say.

The myth that all these deaths are stating "covid" as the sole cause is not reflected in truth.

• Haha
Reactions: NanSanPedro

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I would not just blindly believe what "people" say, especially the grieving, without seeing the death certificate and comprehending what it and any notations actually say.

The myth that all these deaths are stating "covid" as the sole cause is not reflected in truth.
This was not a case of someone overhearing a conversation of a stranger at a colmado. These are real life people. The guy was never in a hospital. He suddenly had a heart attack at home, and his cause of death was listed as Covid. I acknowledge the existence of Covid. I am not a denier. Having said that, I wish other would wake up and stop denying that cancer deaths, car accident deaths and other "sudden cardiac arrests" are all being labeled as Covid and are inflating the numbers. I have seen a lot of death certificates, but I do not remember seeing "seasonal influenza" as a cause of death, even though it may have accelerated the decline of someone with a lot of health problems. Labeling someone who has one foot in the grave as a "Covid" death is a new phenomenon.

Michael DR

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Earth
This was not a case of someone overhearing a conversation of a stranger at a colmado. These are real life people. The guy was never in a hospital. He suddenly had a heart attack at home, and his cause of death was listed as Covid. I acknowledge the existence of Covid. I am not a denier. Having said that, I wish other would wake up and stop denying that cancer deaths, car accident deaths and other "sudden cardiac arrests" are all being labeled as Covid and are inflating the numbers. I have seen a lot of death certificates, but I do not remember seeing "seasonal influenza" as a cause of death, even though it may have accelerated the decline of someone with a lot of health problems. Labeling someone who has one foot in the grave as a "Covid" death is a new phenomenon.
3rd hand info about what other people believe is not particularly valuable if one trying to stick to facts and science. I'm sure that a lot of people believe things that are easily disprovable but that does not make the info true, accurate, fair or reliable. You and anyone else that prefers to believe can believe whatever they want but I will continue to point out the fallacy of it as I choose to.

Reactions: Lobo Tropical

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
A good analysis of the vaccination strategy -
Using the UK as an example
==============================================

Britain has had one of the world’s most successful Covid-19 responses in recent months.
Unlike the European Union, the British government understood that quickly obtaining vaccine doses mattered more than negotiating the lowest price. Unlike the United States, Britain was willing to impose nationwide restrictions again late last year to reduce caseloads. British officials also chose to maximize first vaccine shots and delay second shots, recognizing that the strategy could more quickly reduce Covid cases.
Thanks to these moves, Covid has retreated more quickly in Britain than in almost any other country. Fewer than 10 Britons per day have been dying in recent weeks, down from 1,200 a day in late January. On a per-capita basis, Britain’s death rate last month was less than one-tenth the U.S. rate.

Three U.K. lessons​

I see three main lessons from Britain’s recent rise in cases:
One, vaccines are still the most effective way, by far, to defeat this terrible pandemic. Nothing matters more than the speed at which shots go into arms — in Britain, in the U.S. and especially in poorer countries, where vaccination rates are still low.
Two, behavior restrictions can still play a role in the interim. If hospitalizations or deaths in Britain rise over the next two weeks, there will be a strong argument for pushing back the full reopening of activities. And that has obvious implications for the U.S., too. Restricting indoor activities for unvaccinated people is particularly important.
Three, caseloads are no longer as important a measure as they used to be. Before the vaccines were available, more cases inevitably meant more hospitalizations and deaths. Now, the connection is more uncertain. As a recent Times story put it, paraphrasing British scientists, “upticks in new infections are tolerable so long as the vast majority do not lead to serious illness or death.”

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
But that was then and this is now in the UK where cases have a new "Delta" and here was go again. Does Sinovac work on Delta/India?

Despite this success, Britain is now coping with a rise in Covid cases. The main cause appears to be the highly infectious virus variant known as Delta, which was first detected in India. Britain’s recent moves to reopen society also probably play a role.​
The increase is a reminder that progress against the pandemic — even extreme progress — does not equal ultimate victory. Britain’s experience also suggests that cases may soon rise in the U.S. “What we’re seeing in U.K. is very likely to show up in other Western countries soon,” The Financial Times’s John Burn-Murdoch wrote.​

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
From my friend ------
===============================

The DR government is determined to vaccinate it's way out of this crisis:

First batch of Pfizer vaccines would arrive in the country this weekend, according to Public Health

Pfizer vaccines will inoculate minors

https://www.diariolibre.com/actualidad/ … CG26759139

The Minister of Public Health, Daniel Rivera, announced this Tuesday that the first batch of Pfizer vaccines is expected to arrive in the country for the weekend, with which they will be inoculated over 12 years.

He also added that from this first batch, each week the country will receive the biological from this pharmaceutical company.

"On Friday, possibly from Pfizer, the first batch comes and from then on weekly they reach 10 million," explained Rivera.

The Health Cabinet studies ways to accelerate the National Vaccination Plan

The Government prepares to receive more vaccines

https://www.diariolibre.com/actualidad/ … IG26758527

The Health Cabinet, led by Vice President Raquel Peña, met this Tuesday at the National Palace to study issues related to the receipt of more vaccines against COVID-19, the acceleration of the National Vaccination Plan and the levels of hospital occupancy.

The team appointed by President Luis Abinader to define policies regarding the management of the pandemic in the country, coordinated the preparations regarding the receipt of new batches of vaccines.

The vice presidency reported on Twitter that they are evaluating measures to accelerate the National Vaccination Plan.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

The Senate of the Republic approved a resolution that asks the President of the Republic, Luis Abinader, to prohibit entry to public and private places to people who have not been vaccinated against Covid-19.
The initiative, authored by senators Dionis Sánchez, Antonio Marte and Eddy Nolasco, was intended to be known in the next session, but at the request of the spokesman for the People's Force in the Senate, it was agreed to place it on the agenda this Tuesday.
Specifically, what the resolution requests is that “the prohibition of entry to places of public and private services, food outlets, banks, restaurants, the use of public transport and other places that implies the agglomeration of men and women be provided. , to people who are not inoculated with the Covid-19 vaccine, in order to preserve collective health and the public good ”.
Within its considerations, the resolution argues that "despite the constant efforts of the State, there has been a resistance of people to get vaccinated, which has prevented more quickly covering the 7,800,000 people who deserve, as a priority, to be vaccinated."
It also establishes that thanks to the powers granted by the state of emergency, the President of the Republic has the power to suspend the exercise of the right of free movement and of association and assembly.
This Tuesday the senator of the province Santiago Rodríguez, Antonio Marte, was in favor of the vaccination against the coronavirus being mandatory, while warning that it will prevent those people who do not demonstrate their inoculation against using the transport services of their companies. the Covid-19.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The Senate of the Republic approved a resolution that asks the President of the Republic, Luis Abinader, to prohibit entry to public and private places to people who have not been vaccinated against Covid-19.
That's not going to happen. Logistically too difficult to enforce in private establishments and you can't prevent people from doing banking or going to pharmacies or other necessities of life. I can't see people being turned away from businesses that are cash starved nor can I see businesses willing to be drafted as enforcers of another Govt edict. The vaccine cards are not designed to stand up to the kind of abuse that would be inflicted on them if they constantly had to be carried around and shown. A digital Covid passport option here in the DR is a long way off due to technical competence and limitations. The Govt still hasn't completely resolved the issues with the immigration eticket website so I can't see them being able to verify vaccination status with any sort of reliability or accuracy.

chico bill

Silver
May 6, 2016
That's not going to happen. Logistically too difficult to enforce in private establishments and you can't prevent people from doing banking or going to pharmacies or other necessities of life. I can't see people being turned away from businesses that are cash starved nor can I see businesses willing to be drafted as enforcers of another Govt edict. The vaccine cards are not designed to stand up to the kind of abuse that would be inflicted on them if they constantly had to be carried around and shown. A digital Covid passport option here in the DR is a long way off due to technical competence and limitations. The Govt still hasn't completely resolved the issues with the immigration eticket website so I can't see them being able to verify vaccination status with any sort of reliability or accuracy.
It would be cheaper to offer a bottle of Colombus or Brugal rum or a six pack of 8 ounce Presidentes to everyone after their 2nd shot.
Then the biggest barrio offenders would likely show up.
And the ones who decide not to then F**K them - they had a chance so they can take their risk for the virus.
But don't propose more control, more restriction, less liberty, fewer reasons to come or stay in DR

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I wish I could predict the future with such confidence.

I was told to laminate my card after the second dose. It is much more durable now.

Will the Senate's desire be signed into law? I say, time will tell.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
La República Wednesday, June 9, 2021​

Interactions
Mail

COLLABORATION​

The vaccine card generates controversy​

WASHINGTON GONZÁLEZ

The pandemic has unleashed a discussion between employers, workers and administrative labor authorities in which they wonder if it is possible that the employer requires the worker to undergo the Covid-19 test and vaccine and what would be the consequences of the worker's refusal .
The Constitution of the Dominican Republic, the Labor Code, the constant jurisprudence of the Supreme Court of Justice and the Constitutional Court leave no doubts that cannot be interpreted by a jurist knowledgeable about labor law and quickly articles 44, 46 and 88 give answers to the questions, in this sense it is an obligation of the worker to undergo a medical examination at the request of the employer to verify that he or she does not suffer from an infectious contagious disease.
It is the employer's obligation to maintain the factory, the office and other places where the work must be carried out in the conditions required by the health regulations and to provide free preventive drugs indicated by the health authorities in the event of epidemic diseases, covering the costs of the examination or examination. vaccine.
Article 7 of the Regulations for the application of the Labor Code considers this refusal as a serious breach of the obligations of the employment contract, also typified as a cause of dismissal by paragraph 19 of article 88 of the Labor Code, which can be used by the employer to terminate the employment contract by dismissal or the worker in case the employer does not take such measures, to terminate the contract by resignation.
What would be the consequences if the worker refuses the medical examination against COVI-19?
The employer could terminate the employment contract by dismissing the worker with just cause, by compromising the worker through recklessness or inexcusable carelessness the safety of the company's workplace or the people who are there, and by refusing the worker to adopt preventive measures and not following the procedures indicated by the competent authorities or the employer.
If the court declares the justified dismissal, the worker does not receive the compensation that in the street is called liquidation or labor benefits (notice and unemployment assistance); however the big question would be:
Will the worker be obliged to be vaccinated at the request of the employer?
Undoubtedly, not being vaccinated at the request of the employer and under the suggestions of the health authorities would run the same consequences of justified dismissal, under the premise that this worker endangers the health and his life, that of his co-workers and all the company, article 88 in numeral 15 of the Labor Code clearly establishes that it is cause for dismissal when the worker refuses to take preventive measures or follow the procedures indicated by the competent authorities or employers that avoid diseases.
It is a commitment and a legal obligation for the worker and the employer under the existence of a pandemic that can affect collective fundamental rights (general public order is imposed on private public order) to take all preventive measures that can avoid illness or disease. death of workers by Covid-19, the vaccine beyond a duty is an obligation (see articles 42 and 74 of the Constitution and articles 44, 46 and 88 of the Labor Code and 7 of Regulation 258-93).

Status
Not open for further replies.