Coronavirus - In the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
CTV is reporting several Canadian families including children contracted foot and mouth disease while staying at resorts in the Bavaro area. They are seeking compensation. Another potential publicity problem for the DR tourism industry.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You mentioned the elephant in the room. DR high season tourism is just beginning and trying to recover from a bad Spring and Summer last year due to the negative publicity of last Winter. Many countries are stopping flights in affected countries. If a significant outbreak occurs in the Caribbean, the DR could be in for another tourism slowdown. The effect could be worse than last year’s impacts. We now how the DR government responded to last year’s negative publicity. I can’t begin to comprehend how they would respond to a coronavirus outbreak.

Correct me I'm mistaken but didn't we see reports that showed an increase in tourist arrivals recently ?

The last 1/4 or 1/2 of 2019 ?

Jan 9, 2004
Correct me I'm mistaken but didn't we see reports that showed an increase in tourist arrivals recently ?

The last 1/4 or 1/2 of 2019 ?

Arrivals to the all important Punta Cana region have declined month to month since September 2019.

While PP has shown a slight increase, it is nowhere near enough to offset the approximately 50,000+ monthly tourist shortfall for PC in December, November, October and September of 2019.

https://www.bancentral.gov.do/

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm not sure that the DR has the lab facilities to test for nCOV so I suspect everyone checking into a hospital here with Flu-like symptoms will be diagnosed as having the seasonal Flu.

May 4, 2018
It will be coming to the DR sooner or later. My bet is from Russian or European tourists. There is some speculation now the virus doesn't do as well in warm climates. Several infected in Brazil so we'll see how well they can contain it..

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The rumor might be a child was BORN with the virus..... that's what I read this AM

A newborn baby has become the youngest person to become infected with novel coronavirus sweeping China, after being diagnosed just 30 hours after being born in Wuhan, the epicentre of the epidemic.

The baby was born on February 2 and is now in a stable condition and under observation, state newswire Xinhua reported.

However, the infection of the child raises questions about whether the infant caught the virus in the womb or after birth. The mother had tested positive for the coronavirus while pregnant.

Last edited:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
There was a rumor yesterday a Chinese child died of it in SD, but I haven't seen any online confirmation.

20,000 officially infected as of yesterday with a doubling time of about 6 days. If it remains exponential, roughly 200 million in two months, then worldwide by June. But several factors will prob slow transmission by then.

China has closed all schools and stopped public gatherings. It's not known how many infected are asymptomatic.

This has already passed SARS in # infected. Death count is currently over 500 officially, but the actual count is assumed to be much higher.

I think it will hit the resorts first, which will create an odd situation. With an outbreak, it would necessary to quarantine the whole resort or evacuate them to meet quarantines back home. Maybe giant swimming pools of chlorinated water could be a good thing..

Imagine quarantining all of Punta Cana or Santo Domingo for two weeks ?
Of course the DR could never pull of a quarantine of even one gated community. 200 pesos would get you past the guards.
They couldn't even keep Caesar the Abuser on the island.

Last edited:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I have to believe that 154K and 24K respectively are inflated but by exactly how much I cannot speculate. For that level of infection to be possible, nCOV would need to be very contagious person to person with an R0 (R Naught) rating of 4 or higher.

In such a case, we would see more pronounced spread person to person outside of China. In particular infectious spread before an individual is symptomatic and tested by the health system. We are just not seeing that level of transfer, so take the stories about really high infection rates and claims of false reporting of numbers with a grain of salt.

Since most of the world is still not testing patients with Flu-like symptoms for nCOV in any meaningful way, I personally do believe the actual numbers are higher Internationally and quite possibly within China as well - just not to that extent.

An infection with an R4 rating would overwhelm the healthcare system in the DR in as little as two weeks and cover the island (including Haiti) with disease within 6-8 weeks.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Also keep in mind, that nCOV is not dependent on aerosol spray for transmission. As with the seasonal Flu, a Coronavirus survives quite nicely on surfaces for 48 hours. While inhalation of spray from coughs and sneezes is a very effective means for the virus to move from person to person, lots of people will contract the disease by touching contaminated surfaces and then moving the virus to their face where it then enters the body via the eyes, nose and mouth.

Wash your hands often, especially after toughing money and stop touching your face all the time.

https://www.livescience.com/25086-stop-touching-yourself-flu-researchers-say.html

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
..Had a very old friend tell me..faster horses...younger women... more money..worked for him.

I had a broken back from a shipboard explosion so riding horses is out of the question; but the other two coupled with my remedy may even improve things substantially.
Russell

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I have seen a lot of flu virus here in Luperon, the young school kids suffer the most... but this late one is quite perplexing.
School was shut down for testing, Kids with the virus are told to stay home for ten days,
I suppose all to confront and segregate kids from the virus....
Maybe it is in preparation for an even more violent virus like CV .
All in all it does affect the biggest industry in the Country... one hint of CV here in RD would virtually shut down the Industry and all the feeder businesses.
So yes, RD has an invested interest in keeping the population safe.
But it is my responsibility to ensure that my family has the best possible protection against viruses.

Nice Day outside today ; think I shall enjoy it to the fullest!
Russell

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
We will never have a case of Corona-virus here because the government says so.
Besides that it's an election year so they need (to buy) all votes....
Don't worry, they will deny it until there are 100 Dominicans left...

Feb 7, 2007
No masks of any sorts in pharmacies or farmaconal. The Farmaconal lady told me on Friday a batch of N95 rated masks went to Bávaro and it was sold out instantly. Next batch will be in in a few weeks.

BTW websites selling safety products in USA are reporting month-long backorders for products such as Hazmat suits....

Also, there was a guy who boarded AA flight with a gas mask and was removed from flight because he refused to take his mask off...

suarezj519

May 14, 2014
When it comes to the actual death numbers, although yes they are definitely under reported. I have heard speculation that majority of Chinese are trying to treat with traditional Chinese medicine which is probably not effective and contributing to deaths. As with the masks, yes even here in small town michigan, they're sold out. Nothing like a capitalistic opportunity in time of a pandemic.

Status
Not open for further replies.