Coronavirus - In the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The reality is that cases of new infections and subsequent infections are going to continue to rise exponentially. If you go out and mingle with the population you will get CV19 whatever the ramifications of that will be for any one particular person. Good luck to those "getting on with the rest of their lives" please think of others while you do that. As cases rise so will the number of deaths probably dramatically. The measures in place in this country to keep a lid on to control the out of control spread of the disease are wholly inadequate. Tourism as in the past is done for the foreseeable future. The population and the economy is going to take a pounding every two weeks for the foreseeable future. Most just do not see the value of self sacrifice as they go about their day for the benefits of the whole of society as they cannot see beyond their own self interests. The DR will probably follow the US merrily down he yellow brick road and the toll on the people and the system will be the same

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The reality is that cases of new infections and subsequent infections are going to continue to rise exponentially. If you go out and mingle with the population you will get CV19 whatever the ramifications of that will be for any one particular person. Good luck to those "getting on with the rest of their lives" please think of others while you do that. As cases rise so will the number of deaths probably dramatically. The measures in place in this country to keep a lid on to control the out of control spread of the disease are wholly inadequate. Tourism as in the past is done for the foreseeable future. The population and the economy is going to take a pounding every two weeks for the foreseeable future. Most just do not see the value of self sacrifice as they go about their day for the benefits of the whole of society as they cannot see beyond their own self interests. The DR will probably follow the US merrily down he yellow brick road and the toll on the people and the system will be the same
Oh well, just human nature at work. I was certain it would go this way after a short period of time. Three months is longer than I expected it to take. Flattening the curve was never going to be a long term option.

Reactions: bob saunders

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
There is a new report out that is signed by 239 scientists and 32 countries that claims Covid is now an "airborne disease". This basically means it can last in the air for longer than they thought.
In my opinion these scientists are fear mongering. Whether it lasts for 2 minutes or 2 hours it is airborne and isn't that why they want everyone to wear masks. It was always an airborne virus just like every other respiratory virus. Its easy to see why fewer people listen to these claims and reports.
These guys really have to stop splinting hairs to get their 15 minutes of fame.

Reactions: I love Azua

Andre14615

Banned
May 31, 2019
All of my questions have been answered. Oh RD i love you so much but how do you run out of supplies.

He maintained that, in the case of the National Laboratory, few tests were carried out, due to the fact that there was a reduction in personnel due to the elections and also due to the lack of supplies to carry out coronavirus tests.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Santiago de los Caballeros, a punto de quedarse sin camas para el COVID-19
Santiago, la segunda ciudad en importancia de República Dominicana, está a punto de quedarse sin camas para pacientes de la COVID-19 después de que la ocupación hospitalaria alcanzara el 96 %, según cifras oficiales dadas a conocer este jueves.

Centros de Santiago están desbordados de pacientes con Covid-19
Una alta preocupación existe entre las autoridades sanitarias, los gremios del sector salud y las direcciones de los centros asistenciales privados de esta ciudad, ante el auge de demanda de internamientos de pacientes afectados por el Covid-19, que amenaza con hacer colapsar el sistema hospitalario.

Italia prohíbe la entrada a llegados de República Dominicana y otros países de riesgo COVID-19
En la lista de países figuran cinco países latinoamericanos: Brasil, Chile, Panamá, Perú y República Dominicana.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The DR needs to ask their Chinese friends for help in constructing a couple of those ready in 10 days hospitals. As bad as this situation will undoubtedly get with all the mingling of people going on, it will be all that much worse if the sick can't access treatment and are left stumbling around infecting even more people at home and in the streets. You have to get the sick into some sort of isolation and that ideally means within a hospital where they can receive doses of the latest Hail Mary treatment drugs.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Santiago de los Caballeros, a punto de quedarse sin camas para el COVID-19
Santiago, la segunda ciudad en importancia de República Dominicana, está a punto de quedarse sin camas para pacientes de la COVID-19 después de que la ocupación hospitalaria alcanzara el 96 %, según cifras oficiales dadas a conocer este jueves.

Centros de Santiago están desbordados de pacientes con Covid-19
Una alta preocupación existe entre las autoridades sanitarias, los gremios del sector salud y las direcciones de los centros asistenciales privados de esta ciudad, ante el auge de demanda de internamientos de pacientes afectados por el Covid-19, que amenaza con hacer colapsar el sistema hospitalario.

Italia prohíbe la entrada a llegados de República Dominicana y otros países de riesgo COVID-19
En la lista de países figuran cinco países latinoamericanos: Brasil, Chile, Panamá, Perú y República Dominicana.

And it’s slowly begun... :(

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
The DR needs to ask their Chinese friends for help in constructing a couple of those ready in 10 days hospitals. As bad as this situation will undoubtedly get with all the mingling of people going on, it will be all that much worse if the sick can't access treatment and are left stumbling around infecting even more people at home and in the streets. You have to get the sick into some sort of isolation and that ideally means within a hospital where they can receive doses of the latest Hail Mary treatment drugs.
These pop-up hospitals were built all over Europe and the rest of the world too. Most converted exhibition/conference centres that are unused during the pandemic. There's no shortage of sources for advice.

Cabarete2014

Mar 30, 2014
Just two days ago there were over 1200 new daily infections. Two days later there are only 300. I guess the election was the covid cure RD needed.

What I'm about to write is not a bias or criticism about DR, because I want them to be successful and healthy. From everything that I have read, the medical scientists recommend an amount of testing that will achieve a positivity rate of about 5%. Very high positivity rate indicates that the majority of the tests are performed on sick patients and therefore is not representative of the population as a whole. Al of the graphs posted above show a positivity rate of over 20%.

Andre14615

Banned
May 31, 2019
What I'm about to write is not a bias or criticism about DR, because I want them to be successful and healthy. From everything that I have read, the medical scientists recommend an amount of testing that will achieve a positivity rate of about 5%. Very high positivity rate indicates that the majority of the tests are performed on sick patients and therefore is not representative of the population as a whole. Al of the graphs posted above show a positivity rate of over 20%.

Well that makes sense. If you feel well you will not seek a test.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
To get a snapshot of what is happening in real time within the population you need accurate tests administered randomly to a significant sampling of the population on a regular basis. None of this is currently happening so the numbers we are show represent people with symptoms who have been confirmed to be ill using a test with an accuracy rate that is still questioned.

Reactions: Tarheel

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
Alert – U.S. Embassy Santo Domingo (July 10, 2020)
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo will send an update at least once a week to ensure that all U.S. citizens in the Dominican Republic have the latest information on COVID-19.
The following information has been updated on the Embassy Santo Domingo COVID-19 website:
  • The Dominican Republic has 41,915 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 864 confirmed deaths.
  • Medical care is severely limited with many hospitals at or near full capacity, there is limited availability of ICU beds, and hospitalized patients may have an increased risk of exposure to COVID-19.
  • Currently there is a Level 4 Travel Advisory to not travel to the Dominican Republic due to the impact of COVID-19.

Status
Not open for further replies.