Coronavirus - In the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
The election is over. The numbers will decrease now.
Dominicans are ready to move on with their lives, and are. Especially this one, who already has.
The only ones truly worrying any longer are those expatriates within "Everything _________ " communities, with pre-existing conditions.
They should remain at home, wherever it is they choose to call home.
Does not look like this post is going to age very well🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Andre14615

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The situation is NOT looking good -

ANÁLISIS ESTADÍSTICO DE LA EVOLUCIÓN DEL
VIRUS EN LA REPÚBLICA DOMINICANA INFORME #95

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w9zS4C … sChW6/view

Samana 12 cases, 22 tests.
Maria TS 18 cases, 30 tests.
Santiago 100 cases, 216 tests.
SPM 30 cases, 58 tests.
Espailat 18 cases, 39 tests.
The regional test positivity is very high in many places now.
DN has more cases but lower positivity.
More testing is needed in the provinces.

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020

SPM 30 cases, 58 tests.
Staggering numbers. Staggering positivity rates.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Certainly SD has more cases (larger population)
but the problem has spread nationwide now..... much more dangerous to society generally

Hard to avoid infection - just act accordingly and be careful

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
If you test 100 people in DR 65% will be positive results....

Let's see a person has 3mil and he is hungry I don't think he is using that money to get himself tested.....

Reactions: windeguy

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Alert – U.S. Embassy Santo Domingo (July 10, 2020)
  • Currently there is a Level 4 Travel Advisory to not travel to the Dominican Republic due to the impact of COVID-19.

If those Americans who are "getting on with their lives" truly cared as much abut the DR as the claim, it should be an easy decision to stay away. With out of control spread in the USA why would someone wish to risk bringing more virus to a backwater country that can't cope with the cases of CV19 it already has within its borders? This is not a case of the more the merrier. Infection is out of control and drastic measures will be needed to flatten the curve again when the hospitals are full and the death rate takes off. Travelers to this country run the real risk of getting stranded here again or getting sick and not being able to access above standard healthcare and this time it should not come as a surprise.

In light of the current reality on the ground here in the DR I would like to see countries make a renewed effort to get their citizens out of here rather than allowing more to come and letting the chips fall where they may. The DR is not and will not be a particularly safe place disease wise to be for sometime to come.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
So the health minister days some of the rumors about Santiago are not true, no surprise here.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There is no herd immunity for covid. Several studies have shown this.
A darn shame that is. And then a news report comes out that the people in Corona, Queens , NY (yes Corona, Queens) have reached "herd immunity" levels.
So go figure that out. Herd immunity is not possible if there is no herd immunity derived by those people who tested positive for antibodies.
And that vaccine we all so desperately want yesterday? Good luck with finding one that works if even having tested positive for CV19 does not protect you.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If those Americans who are "getting on with their lives" truly cared as much abut the DR as the claim, it should be an easy decision to stay away. With out of control spread in the USA why would someone wish to risk bringing more virus to a backwater country that can't cope with the cases of CV19 it already has within its borders? This is not a case of the more the merrier. Infection is out of control and drastic measures will be needed to flatten the curve again when the hospitals are full and the death rate takes off. Travelers to this country run the real risk of getting stranded here again or getting sick and not being able to access above standard healthcare and this time it should not come as a surprise.

In light of the current reality on the ground here in the DR I would like to see countries make a renewed effort to get their citizens out of here rather than allowing more to come and letting the chips fall where they may. The DR is not and will not be a particularly safe place disease wise to be for sometime to come.
For some people I suppose getting on with their lives is going on vacation in the DR, going out to restaurants, movies etc. . At least that was "normal" for millions of Americans before CV19.

Three months of flattening the curve does not work. Pandemics follow a bell shaped curve. By flattening the curve for three months we simply kept the pandemic on the left edge of the bell shaped curve for that extra time. The right edge of the curve is somewhere out in time:

1594475947861.png

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
To get a snapshot of what is happening in real time within the population you need accurate tests administered randomly to a significant sampling of the population on a regular basis. None of this is currently happening so the numbers we are show represent people with symptoms who have been confirmed to be ill using a test with an accuracy rate that is still questioned.
Random tests are so unlikely to ever happen here that they are only a discussion point on a forum and won't be a reality.
Pretty much like almost all of the rest of the world in that regard.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
but the problem has spread nationwide now..... much more dangerous to society generally

That is all that could ever be done, in reality. Just one case started all this back in the October/November time frame in China.

Reactions: cavok

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013

SPM 30 cases, 58 tests.

It was very hard for me to get the PCR test. That tells me that the ones who get tested are exhibiting clear symptoms so off course the positivity rate will be high.

My story: I had positive Rapid Test on june 1. Go started on ivermecting regimen on day 3. Started symptoms on day 3 at night.
I had Rx for PCR test on day 3. Had to be done with Referencia lab and they must come to your house. They wont even look at you at the lab itself. So I went home and was told to send the Rx, my cedula and the insurance card to the lab with Whatsapp. I did and got acknowledgment of receipt. They say they will call to schedule the test. I waited and waited, called and called..no answer. Then they finally answered the phone .. they had lost my request. I sent everything again. They received again. The next day they scheduled the test for the following day. I have to pay 500 pesos for the cab they will take. Cannot eat half hour before the test, but they only tell you the test will be after 8am. So you wait, and wait, and call them at 10am. They are on their way. Then they cannot find the place even with clear instructions. Then they call me again wanting confirmation that I will indeed pay for the cab. When I said yes, they finally showed up. Nose swab performed using the same long Q-tips for both nostrils. No throat swab although i had sore throat. Got negative results 1 day later. All together about 2 weeks from onset of symptoms. I almost gave up several times and a poorer person would not/could not pay for cab ride.
All of this to say that I understand a high positivity rate when it is so hard to get tested (although mine was negative).

Reactions: CaribeDigital

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

We have several here (DR1) who advocate getting on w/ life - to a degree, I am one of them

We must get on w/ it.... carefully, prudently, cautiously... lots of adverbs for it

As for the high + testing, I expect they are not random tests....
but rather verifying existing symptoms

The larger , more worrying problem is how the cases have shifted away from and out of the metropolitan centers.
Like water spilling.....seems to run everywhere -
especially where you don't want it to go !!!:cry::unsure:

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
It was very hard for me to get the PCR test. That tells me that the ones who get tested are exhibiting clear symptoms so off course the positivity rate will be high.

My story: I had positive Rapid Test on june 1. Go started on ivermecting regimen on day 3. Started symptoms on day 3 at night.
I had Rx for PCR test on day 3. Had to be done with Referencia lab and they must come to your house. They wont even look at you at the lab itself. So I went home and was told to send the Rx, my cedula and the insurance card to the lab with Whatsapp. I did and got acknowledgment of receipt. They say they will call to schedule the test. I waited and waited, called and called..no answer. Then they finally answered the phone .. they had lost my request. I sent everything again. They received again. The next day they scheduled the test for the following day. I have to pay 500 pesos for the cab they will take. Cannot eat half hour before the test, but they only tell you the test will be after 8am. So you wait, and wait, and call them at 10am. They are on their way. Then they cannot find the place even with clear instructions. Then they call me again wanting confirmation that I will indeed pay for the cab. When I said yes, they finally showed up. Nose swab performed using the same long Q-tips for both nostrils. No throat swab although i had sore throat. Got negative results 1 day later. All together about 2 weeks from onset of symptoms. I almost gave up several times and a poorer person would not/could not pay for cab ride.
All of this to say that I understand a high positivity rate when it is so hard to get tested (although mine was negative).
Imagine you have no insurance...couple people I know paid close to 5000 peso for same test

Status
Not open for further replies.