Not open for further replies.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That meeting was arranged last week.... two groups/one from each side

It was posted on this forum

Transition team and will address the pandemic

Curfew almost certain - is my guess
hope for 24 hr lockdown.... pray for it !!

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I think it was correct to open border. Let people travel and get to see their family and move to their home etc. Take care of their business. But it was a mistake to open resorts and try and restart tourism on a large scale. It seems to be just backfiring anyway.

Reactions: Russell

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
a 24 hour lockdown would suck. This ain't China or Nazi Germany.
I am hoping for something with business open during the day with restrictions until 5 pm and then curfew from 8 pm. I don’t know if something like that is possible.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

Sorry
I meant to say ... NO 24hr lockdown..... would be very difficult

I agree w/ some sort of curfew - but 24hr will hard to swallow

Reactions: NanSanPedro

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014

Lockdown would only be a part of the success.
Ban on all public transport, shopping malls and restaurants would contribute even more.
Actually, if they ban anything where more then 3 non-related people could meet a lockdown would not even be necessary.
Food , one-on-one taxis and pharamacy purchases excepted, of course.

On top of it, propaganda against the measures approved by the government should be penalized by law.

• Wow
Reactions: bienamor

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I think it was correct to open border. Let people travel and get to see their family and move to their home etc. Take care of their business. But it was a mistake to open resorts and try and restart tourism on a large scale. It seems to be just backfiring anyway.

I am not sure it is so bad to open the few resorts that are now open. They have about 10 percent occupancy in many cases. It gives them an opportunity to see how it can be done. If it is a failure, close them again. If they are successful, they can build on that success. If they can learn how to manage the sanitation it would be great. Not betting on any of it, though. There is no large scale tourism at this point. (Am in Punta Cana and there is NO traffic. Lots of parking guas guas, etc.)

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I am not sure it is so bad to open the few resorts that are now open. They have about 10 percent occupancy in many cases. It gives them an opportunity to see how it can be done. If it is a failure, close them again. If they are successful, they can build on that success. If they can learn how to manage the sanitation it would be great. Not betting on any of it, though. There is no large scale tourism at this point. (Am in Punta Cana and there is NO traffic. Lots of parking guas guas, etc.)
True some need to start up and adapt.

Reactions: colmcb

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Lockdown would only be a part of the success.
Ban on all public transport, shopping malls and restaurants would contribute even more.
Actually, if they ban anything where more then 3 non-related people could meet a lockdown would not even be necessary.
Food , one-on-one taxis and pharamacy purchases excepted, of course.

On top of it, propaganda against the measures approved by the government should be penalized by law.

The Dept Of Public Hedalth agrees with you....
and would like to go even further !!!

A full weekend quarantine.......
===============================================
Growing calls from medical profession for curfews and this one seems to have traction to close up shop at weekends 24 hours.

Conasalud requests state of emergency and closed quarantine due to increased COVID-19

https://www.diariolibre.com/actualidad/ … FH20050621

The National Health Coordinator (Conasalud) calls on the Dominican authorities to decree a state of emergency and a closed quarantine that includes the entire weekend, due to the impact of COVID-19.

"We call on the acting President, Danilo Medina, and the recently elected, Luis Abinader, to agree and decree a state of emergency and a closed quarantine with a curfew on weekends from Friday at 5: 00 pm until Monday at 5:00 am, for 15 days, ”demanded the representative of the National Union of Nursing Services (Unased), Sol Amantina Delgado.

Reactions: CaribeDigital

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Herd immunity would take a few years. So nobody knows if it's a myth or not for covid.

"Years" is a key word in any discussion of CV19 and vaccines and any type of immunity if possible at all.

And "the experts" are at odds about herd immunity for the same reason. It takes a long time for a population to reach herd immunity infection levels. Perhaps years. But the experts don't really know if antibodies exist for long enough to maintain herd immunity from infection or a vaccine. So far, it looks like the antibodies don't last long, which is very bad news if true.

So the experts prefer to work on a vaccine. If antibodies don't exist long enough after being infected to build up herd immunity, then antibodies won't exist long enough after being injected by a vaccine either. We should know in a couple of years if a vaccine can be effective.

Now what should we do for the next couple of years?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You guys have ever been laid off? Not fired immediataly but given advance notice? I was.
And I remember my last days on the job very well.

This helps me to understand the position of the Health Minister, his deputies and associates on the COVID-19 front.
Zero motivation, zero planning, zero initiative. And don't blame humans for being human.

They have scheduled the elections for the worse possible time.
The election had to be held, by law before the end of the current presidential term to allow a new president to take over in August.
So it was held in time for that.

CV19 is going to be around for years. It will take years for either herd immunity or a vaccine if either is even possible.
So when would a better time be? A year or two from now?

I asked to be laid off as part of my retirement plan. So yes, I did have the experience of being on a job that would end soon.
There is no civil service in the DR. So all of the government workers face being replaced after August 16 after their party was
in power for 16 years straight. Think of all the other disruptions in the EDEs, CORRA's, and MIP, and every other Ministry as well.
Being bottellas, these jobs had little motivation to be worked at during the best of times.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The Dept Of Public Hedalth agrees with you....
and would like to go even further !!!

A full weekend quarantine.......
===============================================
Growing calls from medical profession for curfews and this one seems to have traction to close up shop at weekends 24 hours.

Conasalud requests state of emergency and closed quarantine due to increased COVID-19

https://www.diariolibre.com/actualidad/ … FH20050621

The National Health Coordinator (Conasalud) calls on the Dominican authorities to decree a state of emergency and a closed quarantine that includes the entire weekend, due to the impact of COVID-19.

"We call on the acting President, Danilo Medina, and the recently elected, Luis Abinader, to agree and decree a state of emergency and a closed quarantine with a curfew on weekends from Friday at 5: 00 pm until Monday at 5:00 am, for 15 days, ”demanded the representative of the National Union of Nursing Services (Unased), Sol Amantina Delgado.
Like that would help.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It's way too late to do contact tracing in the Dominican Republic. That's something they should have done when they were in quarantine months ago. But they literally did nothing but drop the ball and here we are
Have you ever been to a barrio in the DR? If you have, you would know that contact tracing would be a practical impossibility. It is hardly possible in the US where they have hired thousands of people to allegedly contact trace in perhaps a few states.

I understand the desire to grasp at straws in this frustrating situation.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Now what should we do for the next couple of years?

If you are ill stay home or if you suspect that you might be an asymptomatic carrier. Otherwise go about your business doing all the things to reduce the risk of contracting the illness or inadvertently passing it on to someone else. Stay away from each other. carry and use hand santizer often, wear your mask and wear it properly. Limit exposure to places where there are a lot of people. Go shopping when necessary and shop, don' turn it into a social exercise to meet and chat with your acquaintances. We all need social contact so screen your friends with poignant questions if they come for a visit. Sit outdoors a good distance apart limit social gatherings with friends to times when they become necessary or desirable for your mental well being.

Reactions: Tarheel

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you are ill stay home or if you suspect that you might be an asymptomatic carrier. Otherwise go about your business doing all the things to reduce the risk of contracting the illness or inadvertently passing it on to someone else. Stay away from each other. carry and use hand santizer often, wear your mask and wear it properly. Limit exposure to places where there are a lot of people. Go shopping when necessary and shop, don' turn it into a social exercise to meet and chat with your acquaintances. We all need social contact so screen your friends with poignant questions if they come for a visit. Sit outdoors a good distance apart limit social gatherings with friends to times when they become necessary or desirable for your mental well being.
Might work for you. Might work for me. For the next couple of years.

Doesn't work at all for Dominicans. Not even those in Corona, Queens, NY.... And we are in the DR.

Reactions: I love Azua
Status
Not open for further replies.