Coronavirus - In the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
The whole thing is a hoax and an experiment how far the governments can go in controlling the masses, and the sad truth is that they've discovered that in general the people are sheeple and very obedient.
So all the governments in the world (including the DR), the UN and the vast majority of medical professionals are in on this "hoax"? Wow, that's some brilliant organisation!

Big

Apr 24, 2019
So all the governments in the world (including the DR), the UN and the vast majority of medical professionals are in on this "hoax"? Wow, that's some brilliant organisation!
when people say it is a "hoax" I don't think they are saying the actually virus is a hoax. They are saying how the whole thing collectively is hyped up to achieve political goals. The common cold and the flu are out there and always will be. The treatment of these real viruses are a trillion dollar industry. Cold,flu and now covid are huge businesses. Lets just wait and see how quick things get back to normal after Nov 3.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The best way to determine if things are getting better or not is to look at the chart of the number of deaths/day. If the trend is up, it's getting worse. If it's going down, it's getting better. Right now the chart shows things are getting better. Forget looking at the number of tests.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The best way to determine if things are getting better or not is to look at the chart of the number of deaths/day. If the trend is up, it's getting worse. If it's going down, it's getting better. Right now the chart shows things are getting better. Forget looking at the number of tests.
Problem with that is there is a lag between infections and deaths.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Anyone that can discount over 1,000,000 deaths from this as a hoax from Government agencies all across the World is a total MORON and does not deserve any response........................
Unfortunately this site does not have any fact checking and the local nuts post a substantial amount of nonsense.
My fave is that masks do nothing and the solution is to open up business and return to "normal".
Like that has not been tried over and over again in all parts of the world.
One definition of crazy is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.
Florida just opened up and is back to "normal" for a little while until the hospital beds fill up.

People without higher education have no faith in medical experts and science in general.

CV19 caused the economic collapse and there will be no recovery until the world deals effectively with the virus.
Spreading conspiracy theories, hoaxes and peddling medical nonsense like hydroxychloroquine treatments will only prolong and politicize the intelligent scientifically backed response that will open the door to recovery and the new normal.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
You are aware that there are some pretty big fudge factors in those numbers. In 2018 an estimated 228 million cases of malaria occurred worldwide and 405,000 people died, and that is with available medicine that works. Nobody went into lockdown or closed their economy.
Are you aware that malaria is spread by mosquitoes?
Are you aware CV19 is spread by breathing.
Ok lets agree that the numbers may be fudged. Its not a million and maybe its only 950,000 deaths from CV19 and rising.
We can avoid mosquitoes but we cannot avoid breathing.

Lockdown is a nonsense term.
Malaria is not spread in bars, restaurants and people in close contact with others.

You want to avoid malaria, then use high strength OFF with DEET.
To avoid CV19 spread we know what works and it is not hydroxychloroquine or opening up bars, restaurants and schools.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I get a real kick out of the people that discount the dangers of Covid-19. EVERY ONE of them comes from a discontinued forum, and are following "you know who".

I guess it is hard for some to think for themselves......................
I get a kick out of people that think they are saving the world by wearing a face mask. Guess it makes them feel important.

• Wow
Reactions: Michael DR

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have ZERO hope that any vaccine will be long lasting.... a patch at best , to date.

I have little faith in the death stats..... other than the US has 4% of the world's people and 20% of the deaths
Might be that the overweight, under exercised population get hit harder....
add a fragmented hospital system to that.

RD isn't much better... lots of overweight.... lots of diabetes.... not a great hospital base - fraught w/ problems

I do think the situation is improving....life is close to normal for many
We'll see how 9pm and 7pm work out

Reactions: NanSanPedro

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Nobody's forcing you to go to bars and restaurants 😁. If you're scared of Covid stay home, problem solved. Let us the stupid ones live our lives normally, and if it turns out we were wrong we're all gonna die and you the smart ones will have the entire World to yourselves, without us idiots taking up space. 😂🤷‍♂️
Meanwhile, you "stupid ones" (your words) who hate all precautions are preventing the reduction of cases and possibly going on to give the virus that others that you come across. And you will probably be lucky enough not to die and continue spreading it.
For most of us who don't think like you, it's not a matter of being scared of the virus. I go out to bars and restaurants, but I take precautions as required by law and am content to do so, in order to do my bit to help to control the virus.

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
234 confirmed cases. The good news is also in the considerable drop in active cases.

Reactions: aarhus

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Are you aware that malaria is spread by mosquitoes?
Are you aware CV19 is spread by breathing.
Ok lets agree that the numbers may be fudged. Its not a million and maybe its only 950,000 deaths from CV19 and rising.
We can avoid mosquitoes but we cannot avoid breathing.

Lockdown is a nonsense term.
Malaria is not spread in bars, restaurants and people in close contact with others.

You want to avoid malaria, then use high strength OFF with DEET.
To avoid CV19 spread we know what works and it is not hydroxychloroquine or opening up bars, restaurants and schools.
No shit Sherlock. The point is mosquito related diseases kill 2.7 million people a year but nobody is shuting down their economies for it and forcing people to take HCQ and spray themselves with Off or Deep Woods.

Oct 11, 2010
You are aware that there are some pretty big fudge factors in those numbers. In 2018 an estimated 228 million cases of malaria occurred worldwide and 405,000 people died, and that is with available medicine that works. Nobody went into lockdown or closed their economy.

Malaria is NOT CONTAGIOUS.

Covid-19 . . . IS.

90% of Malaria deaths occur in rural sub Saharan Africa as per the CDC and WHO's average yearly statistics. Those deaths are caused by lack of prevention and treatment due to poverty, war, and other economic and social instabilities and have nothing to do with the fact that there is "available medicine that works".

"Nobody went into lockdown or closed their economy" ? ? ?

No, and now perhaps you can see why . . .

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
No shit Sherlock. The point is mosquito related diseases kill 2.7 million people a year but nobody is shuting down their economies for it and forcing people to take HCQ and spray themselves with Off or Deep Woods.

Bob, school is opening soon. Is your wife's school opening up with no restrictions?

• Haha
Reactions: Andre14615

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Meanwhile, you "stupid ones" (your words) who hate all precautions are preventing the reduction of cases and possibly going on to give the virus that others that you come across. And you will probably be lucky enough not to die and continue spreading it.
For most of us who don't think like you, it's not a matter of being scared of the virus. I go out to bars and restaurants, but I take precautions as required by law and am content to do so, in order to do my bit to help to control the virus.
I think 'most of us" actually think the masks are useless and are ready to fully open everything including air travel without restrictions

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Some parents that I have spoken to about their kids retuning to school are still on the fence taking a wait and see attitude. As we have seen in other countries, the schools open up, kids pack in and then the schools have to close due to the spread of the infection. I expect most parents are expecting a similar scenario to play out here in the DR. You just can't put that many bodies into a confined indoor space and not expect transmission. Especially with kids who will not always not fiddle with their masks or wash their hands after touching some else's pencil. Schools just do not have the space to separate kids adequately in the classroom. If the parents do not want the virus coming home, most likely they will not send their kid(s) to class. At least until the schools demonstrate that they can control the spread of the virus between students and teachers, which I think will be unlikely.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Some parents that I have spoken to about their kids retuning to school are still on the fence taking a wait and see attitude. As we have seen in other countries, the schools open up, kids pack in and then the schools have to close due to the spread of the infection. I expect most parents are expecting a similar scenario to play out here in the DR. You just can't put that many bodies into a confined indoor space and not expect transmission. Especially with kids who will not always not fiddle with their masks or wash their hands after touching some else's pencil. Schools just do not have the space to separate kids adequately in the classroom. If the parents do not want the virus coming home, most likely they will not send their kid(s) to class. At least until the schools demonstrate that they can control the spread of the virus between students and teachers, which I think will be unlikely.
The parents here are praying the schools open.

The kids are in the starting blocks and ready to go back

How's that free internet and free laptop program working.

How many public schools actually have anything working in that regard ?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I think 'most of us" actually think the masks are useless and are ready to fully open everything including air travel without restrictions

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion even if that opinion is wrong. I think a vocal few think that preventative measures are useless but I do not think "most" people do. Masks are not perfect and come with no guarantee but are clearly better than nothing if your goal is to keep other people's saliva droplets away from your nose and mouth and to keep yours away from others. As for the curfew, not the most effective approach but if for some period of time each day, a curfew can keep some people at home so they are not mingling with others, that too has some limited benefit in making it impossible for those home bound people to spread the virus outside their own walls. The single most effective preventive measure is to stay far enough away from other people, preferably up wind of them as well. That's not always easy to do or practical when lining up at a bank or a check out in a store as some people have no concept of the principle of adequate separation distance. The futility of limiting the spread of CV19 is not the lack of safety protocols, the futility comes from the people who choose to ignore the protocols and do not follow them consistently or at all. One is supposed to comply with the mandated measures as much for themselves as for the benefit of others who for whatever reason are trying their best not to catch this disease. These people are appreciative of the efforts others take and shake their heads when they encounter the rest of the people who appear not to care about anyone other than themselves and their own erroneous beliefs. Masks become more important not when driving in your car or walking down a deserted street but when indoors where other people cannot maintain a safe separation distance. The curfew helps when it causes people to stay home and watch TV instead of drinking with friends on the street corners or in small bars/colmados. The new normal is supposed to be distance between people and vigorous and frequent hand washing. The extra precautions like masks, curfews and no social gatherings are supposed to augment the primary protection from this virus which remains distance from others. People have to choose to part of the effort to limit virus spread. Clearly some cannot or will not make that their modus operandi for reasons that are very much their own and have nothing to with helping to maintain the health and safety of others. If I was sick and through deliberate choices passed the disease to someone else, I wouldn't feel to good about having done that.

Status
Not open for further replies.