Coronavirus - In the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Thanks. I don't want one but have heard some claims that it can help the resistance to Covid (no scientific proof). If people start to believe that there may be a run on it in the DR this season.

nanita

Jul 28, 2014
Are you sure about that?

This will be my final contribution to this thread and probably to this site. I do not like being censored for no reason.

A few of my post have been delete without notice or reason including my previous post to this thread with many informative links. I'm sure that I have not violated any posting rules but, be that as it may, the owners are entitled to do as they please. Lets see if this post stands as is or will it encounter a similar fate as my previous contribution to this thread.

Yes. My posts seem to be deleted as well. Even sometimes those that mention THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC. It's sort of arbitrary. If your post isn't directly mentioning the DR, even if it's a totally natural response or development of the thread, it will be deleted. Unless you are a moderator who wants to post a stupid meme or recipe or something. Those can stay. Ridiculous.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
My advice, logically, to all is to wait for actual results from vaccine testing which should be available in 2022.

Windy
2022. May I ask what data are you reading ? Can you send us a link confirming 2022 or did you make a typo for 2021. Thanks

Reactions: CDNBear

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
People said they paid about 2,000 RD at a clinic.
Two types of flu vaccines offered in Canada as of Oct 21st in my area. One for those below 65 years of age and one for those above 65. Apparently the above 65 is more target specific and better for our age group. Wonder if both are available in the DR?

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Yes. My posts seem to be deleted as well. Even sometimes those that mention THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC. It's sort of arbitrary. If your post isn't directly mentioning the DR, even if it's a totally natural response or development of the thread, it will be deleted. Unless you are a moderator who wants to post a stupid meme or recipe or something. Those can stay. Ridiculous.
I agree with both of you. I would hardly describe myself as a controversial poster but since the elimination of the O.T thread, moderators have banned me and removed posts I thought weren’t offensive. The two latest removals were certainly not offensive. One was a statement of fact and the other was a question to clarify another’s posters comment. The tone of DR1 has changed. The question is, “Has it changed for the better?” I use a few DR information sites but DR1 was my tried and trusted home base. Home has definitely changed. Maybe what Wolfe said is true. You can’t go home again.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Your post doesn’t need to be “offensive” to be deleted. It may have been off topic of the thread, it may have quoted a post someone else made which was deleted, it may not have had anything to do with DR, it might have touched on race, religion or US politics, etc.

Attacking the moderator/s accomplishes nothing, without them there would be no DR1. You should thank them instead of criticizing them.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Two types of flu vaccines offered in Canada as of Oct 21st in my area. One for those below 65 years of age and one for those above 65. Apparently the above 65 is more target specific and better for our age group. Wonder if both are available in the DR?
As I posted here or elsewhere . I received the influenza vaccine at Vacume in Santo Domingo close the Clinica Abreu. I was on a waiting list as I was informed that they had a limited amount. the brand name was Voxigrip Tetra formulated in Australia. Cost 2000rd.

Reactions: JD Jones

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
As I posted here or elsewhere . I received the influenza vaccine at Vacume in Santo Domingo close the Clinica Abreu. I was on a waiting list as I was informed that they had a limited amount. the brand name was Voxigrip Tetra formulated in Australia. Cost 2000rd.

You received the influenza vaccine while buying a vacum?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The CDC indicates that 0.6% of people who get CV19 die. The trade off being made is trying to limit the number of deaths well below the 0.6% amount with the damage done because of shutdowns. How will that trade off continue to be made is the question.
I think that rate is for Covid who sought medical treatment. If you include asymptomatic cases I believe it is less than half that rate.
At this point it is a guess on the trade off - - but we are starting to see the fatal effects of people being unable to provide for themselves and family.
And the effects are more than hunger and malnutrition. Depression can become the biggest and longest lasting disease that will be spawned by Covid.
I don't have many Dominican friends but the few I have are becoming desperate trying to carry on.
The physiological effects could well be permanent.

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
How much influence has the DR government at this stage on the economical and social impact of the virus.
Assuming that most impact is caused by the decline in tourism.

I believe that even without a curfew and restrictions here in DR, the tourists from abroad will still not come in large numbers in the short term, with the consequences it has for those who live directly or indirectly from tourism

At the moment (with restrictions/curfew in place) I agree that the consequences of the virus seem to be comparable to other dangers that we deal with daily. The question is what could happen if those restrictions were not implemented.

Annual expected mortality from influenza 6000
Number of deaths in traffic 3000
Up to now mortality covid-19 2189

I hope soon the curfew can be lifted and the spread of the virus controlled by social distance and hygiene. Mask use in places where people are closely gathered.

We have to learn to live with the virus for a long time, a vaccine will come at best next year and who knows how long it will take before enough people have taken it.

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
More statistics
94-E5-C6-B5-CA9-F-4-E10-8-FEE-0-FA9-DA27709-E.jpg

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I agree with both of you. I would hardly describe myself as a controversial poster but since the elimination of the O.T thread, moderators have banned me and removed posts I thought weren’t offensive. The two latest removals were certainly not offensive. One was a statement of fact and the other was a question to clarify another’s posters comment. The tone of DR1 has changed. The question is, “Has it changed for the better?” I use a few DR information sites but DR1 was my tried and trusted home base. Home has definitely changed. Maybe what Wolfe said is true. You can’t go home again.
Yes it has changed for the better. Maybe the question should be: How many posters would leave if the toxic sub-chapter of OT continued? I for one would no longer be here as who wants to wake up in the morning and read'/listen to vile, abusive language. Name calling and defamation of character from the hands of an anonymous writer. When I complained to the mods their answer was "you're in off topic". Hmmmm, a site with no hold s barred like MA fighting. Yes. you could say "Well don't read it." That's the quick and easy answer, but for me I would rather not be on the same site that is a forum board for information on the DR. That's what I'm here for. Othewise than I can listen to my tenants and their whining and complaining .
My two centavos knowing many miss OT but it's not AI. :)

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Your post doesn’t need to be “offensive” to be deleted. It may have been off topic of the thread, it may have quoted a post someone else made which was deleted, it may not have had anything to do with DR, it might have touched on race, religion or US politics, etc.

Attacking the moderator/s accomplishes nothing, without them there would be no DR1. You should thank them instead of criticizing them.

One has to smile at the irony of persons who complain about their complaints being deleted.

I suspect part of the confusion is coming from folks not understanding there is a COVID IN THE DR sub, and one of the threads in that sub is this one titled CORONAVIRUS in the DR.

If none of your "informative links" are specific to the DOMINICAN REPUBLIC then you are posting in the wrong thread. You should go to the COVID IN THE DR sub and look for a more appropriate thread, and if there isn't one, feel free to start one.

Post something in this thread about the latest vaccine test results in Germany? Don't be surprised if it disappears.

Another example? I deleted a post, and the writer has made a half a dozen more posts about how ridiculous and stupid the mod is for deleting it which are then deleted. Then the writer complains about having a lot of posts deleted.

See the irony yet? :rolleyes:

Post in the right thread, and it won't get deleted. So simple even a caveman can understand.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chirimoya

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
From N.com.do

In two months of government, for only two days the 7 thousand tests promised by Abinader have been carried out

By: Joel Suriel

On August 19, with only three days after being sworn in as President and Vice President of the Republic, Luis Abinader and Raquel Peña announced to the country that more than 7,000 daily PCR tests would be carried out to detect the coronavirus (COVID-19), a promise that so far has not been fulfilled.

This Friday, the Abinader government celebrates two months in power, which translates into 60 days, of which in only two the Public Health authorities have met the goal of 7,000 tests or more.

Last September, when approached by members of the press, Vice President Raquel Peña justified the non-application of these 7 thousand tests, indicating that they have not received enough requests from citizens to perform that number of samples.

As of today, according to the latest bulletin offered by the Ministry of Public Health, 531,666 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests have been carried out, of which 207,728 have been carried out under the presidency of Luis Abinader.

The two days in which more than 7,000 tests were applied were last September, being day 3 in which the largest number of samples have been made to detect COVID-19 so far, when a total of 7,492 were made.

The other day that the Government exceeded 7,000 samples was last September 11, when Public Health personnel took 7,089 samples that detect the coronavirus, a disease that in the last epidemiological bulletin registered more than 120,000 infected in the Caribbean country.

Few days with more than 6,000 PCR tests

In the government of President Abinader, it has not been common to exceed more than 6,000 daily tests, since only in four days of the 57 that have passed since it was announced to carry out that amount as a daily goal, tests greater than that number have been carried out.

On September 4, just one day after running the most tests in 24 hours, 6,952 PCR samples were taken.

On September 18, 6,665 tests were carried out to detect people who have been infected with COVID-19, while on October 3, 6,148 PCRs were performed. On October 13, three days ago, Public Health registered a total of 6,739 tests.

In the 60 days that he has been head of state, the government of President Luis Abinader averages a total of 3,462 daily tests, while the average in the seven months that the Dominican Republic has dealing with the pandemic is 2,531 daily samples.

In the last bulletin of the Ministry of Public Health 3,537 samples were taken, 3,463 less than the established goal. For every million inhabitants the authorities take 50,884 tests.

The total number of cases of coronavirus in the country is 120,066, of which 21,725 are active, and the accumulated deaths amount to 2,189 people.

The availability of beds to treat COVID-19 is 3,350, of which 640 are occupied, which is 19%. The occupancy of beds in Intensive Care Units (ICU) is 29%, with 152 occupied out of 525 available, while 81 ventilators out of a total of 417 existing ones are in use, for 19%.

Daily positivity stands at 15.08%, which represents a slight increase compared to previous days, and in the last four weeks it was 12.88%.

Reactions: zoomzx11

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
They would get more requests if they had a system that did not require you call a number and then the testing crew come to the residence. A minimum cost/free would also help. somewhat along the line of other places with drive through testing as an example.
citing the fact that there has not been enough requests, given the current system few are going to ask.

Reactions: JD Jones

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
From what I have read on the websites of the companies doing the testing. One needs a doctor's written request for a covid test to be eligible to get one. Maybe that condition that only applies to tests where the cost is being covered by the govt. I still believe it is far too difficult to obtain a covid test and there are too few places to go and get one. There should be covid test clinics held in the center of Sosua and Cabarete for example. Everyone who needs one should be able to go and get tested. If they want to weed out those who really don't need or qualify for a test they can do so when the person joins the line. Just my opinion. Make getting tested super easy, test often and make sure people know well in advance where they can go to get a test close to home with a minimum of hassle and the lines kept short by employing an efficient collection process that requires only a few minutes per person.

If the govt want to do 7000 tests per day they actively have to make that happen. A big part of that process is making it very easy to get tested and having lots of places for people to go and get a test. Doctor's requests and the other admin b.s. is just an impediment to achieving the desired testing goal. Waiting for 7000 people to see a doctor and then stumble their way to one of the not well known labs just ins't going to cut it in the end.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Getting tested at home should be a value added service that the person wanting to be tested sat home should pay for. It shouldn't necessarily be the default means by which these tests are conducted. It's fairly easy to keep people well separated while they get tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.